100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 12-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Nik
Default Latest MAG press release!

he Riders Are Voters campaign organisations have called for Mass Lobby of Parliament on Monday 8th November 2010.

The Mass Lobby is not a street demo, it is a rare opportunity for riders from across the UK to gather at Parliament and tell the politicians how best they can serve the riding public.

There is plenty for the riders to say to their elected representatives and the governing parties:

# The cost and bureaucratic complexity of getting a licence is spiralling out of control, while DSA has slashed the number of driving test centres.
# Road conditions are worsening - road design and repair must become bike-friendly if cuts in public spending are not to result in avoidable danger to riders
# The UK Parliament must resist European proposals to restrict rider choice - current proposals for a new 'Multi-Directive' threaten to restrict riders carrying out basic maintenance task or modifying their own bike to suit their needs. Mandating the use of expensive anti-lock brakes and electronics will add further cost and complexity to biking. Mandating permanently lit headlamps on all new bikes may do more harm than good.
# Riders are paying too much for too little in return - many bikes pay higher amounts of road tax than do less fuel-efficient cars
# The Bike industry has been left to sink or swim as Government bail-outs for the Car industry and public money to develop more environmentally-friendly vehicles are not available for two-wheelers.
# Many Bus Lanes are still closed to bikes despite the advantages of opening them.
# Motorcycle Sport is under pressure from agricultural policies that deter land-owners and planning rules that threaten to close circuits.

Taking part in the Mass Lobby is very easy and free of charge, but you must register your details with Riders Are Voters if you want to attend.

You can register by Emailing central-office@mag-uk.org or Phoning the Riders Are Voters office on 0800 9883193 (rider registration is being co-ordinated by MAG on behalf of the RAV campaign organisations).

You will need to tell us:
- your Name and home Address including the Postcode (we will need to check details for your constituency and MP).
- your E-mail Address and Telephone contact details (we will need to confirm your registration and may need to tell you about final arrangements for the day).
- which motorcycle organisations you are a member of, if any (RAV is a coalition of groups working for a better deal for riders).

RAV will send you further information about arrangements for the day, including travel information.

Riders who are not able to take part in the Mass Lobby at Parliament can still support the campaign by making an appointment to see their MP at one of their local constituency ‘surgeries’ - ideally BEFORE the 8th of November.

See www.ridersarevoters.org or phone 0800 9883193 for further information.

This is your opportunity – meet your MP where they work for you.

Hear what lies ahead for biking in the UK - Say what should be done.

Be a part of it, let your voice be heard.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Send a message via AIM to Choprocker Send a message via MSN to Choprocker

why dont they do this sort of lark on a sasturday when more than normal people can get to it instead of doing it on a work day, or is that the point?
without mag i know we would prob be in a load more shit than we are now but it seems these days they do it on a weekday day or summat just to make it look they are doing summat.
sorry if i am wrong.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

thing is, would there be any M.P's at parliment on a sat afternoon?
if not then would be a waste of time.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick2 View Post
Y'beat me to it, Mick.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Send a message via AIM to Choprocker Send a message via MSN to Choprocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick2 View Post
ya reckon they are there monday morning too? lol
i know wot you mean but going back to when the magna carta was big etc you could not help miss it whether they were there or not.
all this will do is anger other car/van drivers etc who some will be bikers doing their days work, me included. when the no parking twats have there demo clogs up the roads and stops some of us getting to work etc.
Old 13-10-2010, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choprocker View Post
ya reckon they are there monday morning too? lol
i know wot you mean but going back to when the magna carta was big etc you could not help miss it whether they were there or not.
all this will do is anger other car/van drivers etc who some will be bikers doing their days work, me included. when the no parking twats have there demo clogs up the roads and stops some of us getting to work etc.
So what do you suggest then? We just roll over and allow them to kill off biking just so it doesn't inconvienence anyone?
Old 21-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Chat Slapper

You can always go and see your MP at one of his evening sergreys and tell what you think then I know we all can't make it down to London in the week, so go see your MP and/or join your local MAG group and do something, don't sit there saying it's not on your door step so you can not be arsd, the good roads are not always on your door step but you will have a ride out to ride on them why not a MAG group etc
Old 21-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Lost all faith in MAG about a year ago. Was a rep,was on the comittee at Stormin but when my club had a problem with local MAG group and contacted central the response was "fuck you we were here before your club was formed".
So now thats my response
Old 21-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

In theory it is a good idea to have a chance to say something to the government, but I know how this works, any MP willing to answer questions will be out of the loop and little better than useless, they will answer with things like "Yes that is a good point" and "I don't know the answer to that but I will look into it for you"..If you are stupid you will go away thinking that he/she is a good bloke and at least listened to you...If you have any sense you will realise that they were just going through the motions and not actually promising anything... If there are 1000 bikers there they will swamp the meeting with 1000 points of view..I've done this sort of thing before, the only way to win is to find no more than five things that you want sorted and all 1000 people get behind the first one and press that point until you have forced agreement, you must not get sidetracked..when you have firm written agreement on the first point all 1000 get behind the next, otherwise you get nothing. Government like nothing better than a large group of people all shouting for different things, and you know what, they go back to their office and when asked what it was all about they say "I don't know, I just had to nod and be nice for a few hours and they all went away."

John
Old 22-10-2010, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
There is plenty for the riders to say to their elected representatives and the governing parties:

1. The cost and bureaucratic complexity of getting a licence is spiralling out of control, while DSA has slashed the number of driving test centres.
2. Road conditions are worsening - road design and repair must become bike-friendly if cuts in public spending are not to result in avoidable danger to riders
3. The UK Parliament must resist European proposals to restrict rider choice - current proposals for a new 'Multi-Directive' threaten to restrict riders carrying out basic maintenance task or modifying their own bike to suit their needs. Mandating the use of expensive anti-lock brakes and electronics will add further cost and complexity to biking. Mandating permanently lit headlamps on all new bikes may do more harm than good.
4. Riders are paying too much for too little in return - many bikes pay higher amounts of road tax than do less fuel-efficient cars
5. The Bike industry has been left to sink or swim as Government bail-outs for the Car industry and public money to develop more environmentally-friendly vehicles are not available for two-wheelers.
6. Many Bus Lanes are still closed to bikes despite the advantages of opening them.
7. Motorcycle Sport is under pressure from agricultural policies that deter land-owners and planning rules that threaten to close circuits.
These are bullshit points about things that people can tut over, what you need is to produce a solution that you want actioned.

1. Most of the riders will already have passed their test so this will not be a high priority for them. But what do you suggest, a quick written test followed by a ride around the town, you already know that the cost of the test is only going to increase.

2. Road conditions are not that bad really, speed bumps, cameras, speed traps and diesel spillage as trucks turn corners or roundabouts are our biggest problems, as well as SMIDSY's.

3. with or without EU mandates the cost of bikes is going up all the time, just look how much the cost of a new bike has gone up since last year.

4. Tax reduction is not an option in the real world, and I can't complain I'm lucky to get 30mpg out of my bike.

5. We don't have a British bike industry, in fact we don't have much British industry left at all, even the water board and the severn bridge have been sold to the French.

And so on.

These are not things we need action on except for the real problems I have outlined in No 2. The only other things I would like to see is the right to park your bike in your garage without having to sorn it every winter or when it breaks down, and the freedom of choice over whether or not to wear a crash helmet to test ride around the block.

John
Old 22-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
These are bullshit points about things that people can tut over, what you need is to produce a solution that you want actioned.

1. Most of the riders will already have passed their test so this will not be a high priority for them. But what do you suggest, a quick written test followed by a ride around the town, you already know that the cost of the test is only going to increase.

2. Road conditions are not that bad really, speed bumps, cameras, speed traps and diesel spillage as trucks turn corners or roundabouts are our biggest problems, as well as SMIDSY's.

3. with or without EU mandates the cost of bikes is going up all the time, just look how much the cost of a new bike has gone up since last year.

4. Tax reduction is not an option in the real world, and I can't complain I'm lucky to get 30mpg out of my bike.

5. We don't have a British bike industry, in fact we don't have much British industry left at all, even the water board and the severn bridge have been sold to the French.

And so on.

These are not things we need action on except for the real problems I have outlined in No 2. The only other things I would like to see is the right to park your bike in your garage without having to sorn it every winter or when it breaks down, and the freedom of choice over whether or not to wear a crash helmet to test ride around the block.

John
I'm not suggesting anything, John, just passing on a press release, but after reading your comments I'm not actually surprised that we get shat on by the powers-that-be when folk just roll over and let them ...
Old 22-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
I'm not suggesting anything, John, just passing on a press release, but after reading your comments I'm not actually surprised that we get shat on by the powers-that-be when folk just roll over and let them ...
I understand where you are coming from Nik, and I don't want to shoot the messenger. what I am saying is it is no good telling the government what they have done is wrong unless you have a workable solution and a sizable force behind you to support it..1000 people with different ideas is the same as one person with a bad idea Mag should put solutions forward not complaints.

John
Old 22-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
I understand where you are coming from Nik, and I don't want to shoot the messenger. what I am saying is it is no good telling the government what they have done is wrong unless you have a workable solution and a sizable force behind you to support it..1000 people with different ideas is the same as one person with a bad idea Mag should put solutions forward not complaints.

John
Wasn't really having a go at you, John, per se - just the attitude of folk who seem to think that they know exactly what MAG should do, but do nothing constructive to help them do it.

Having spoken to a fair number of MAGgies over the years, I'm convinced of the effort they've put in on our behalf and I'm grateful to them for doing so because, if they hadn't, the chances of me being able to ride exactly the bike I want in the way I want to ride it would be greatly reduced today.
Old 23-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Chat Slapper

I can see where people are coming from with MAG, as I was a member got piss off with them for about 10 years, I've now rejoind MAG and started a MAG group up in the High Peak becouse I got piss off ringing the powers at be and getting now where (mostly to do with road and speed traps) but now as part of a MAG group the DDRSP is on ower side, and more than one voice is betere than one.
As it has been said you need to be saying the same thing, the idea of this demo is some you can see your owen MP down there and have a chat about the things in your aera as well as the nashion things (like the bike test) I know one lad who is trying to get his bike test, he has not past 4 times but each time he gos to retake his test it has change and he has to do soming differnt each time.
At the end of the day you can do soming about things, just look at the poll tax it was the people who got rid of that by getting out and saying something and making a point.
OK MAG is not perfet but what is? and if it was not form MAG we would have leg proteters on your bike and there would not be a bike over 100bhp so by by most things over 600cc
MAG may not be the best in one persion eyes but it's all we have and there doing there best so don't sit there in the pub or on the compter complaning about things and saying o well DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT

Off my soap box now, and this is just a genral look at thing not anybody
Old 23-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

I`m 52 now. Been riding and customising bikes since I was 17.
MAG are the only people fighting your course.
In all my years of biking/triking no one else gives a shit. Many clubs say they are number one but no other organisation fights your corner like MAG does.
I ride and customise bikes and I thank MAG for the effort you all put in.
Old 25-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldybongo View Post
I`m 52 now. Been riding and customising bikes since I was 17.
MAG are the only people fighting your course.
In all my years of biking/triking no one else gives a shit. Many clubs say they are number one but no other organisation fights your corner like MAG does.
I ride and customise bikes and I thank MAG for the effort you all put in.
It all helps now matter how little.
Old 26-10-2010, 05:59 AM
Been out, but rather stay in!

I meant political action clubs obviously as its easy to missread whats actually meant there.....