100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Trike Magazine

Notices

Old 20-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Unless they change the law again it doesn't matter what you call it since oct 2000 you have to pass a car driving test to ride a trike on the motorway.

Next time if everyone votes BNP they will get us out of the EU.

John
Old 21-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Chat Virgin

Default EU what a laugh

the only reason they changed the motorcycle test was to come in line with europe at a massive cost of some 29 million building these offroad centres for module one of the test all because the eu spec states 50kph manouver which is 32mph so cannot be done on public roads. The module 2 could be taken on any road yet still you have to travel to the motorcycle test center and depart from there. not from your local driving test centre yet the on road part could be taken from there damn strange lol. too many grey areas now do we live by british law or EU law or sharia law someone tell me lol
Old 21-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl23k View Post
have now come to the conclusion the uk laws are shite lol

i have a full cat a licence but cant drive a trike which is defined as a 3 wheeled vehicle and 9 times out of 10 has a bike front end

but mr smith passes his car licence and can drive a quad which has all motorcycle controlls and a motorbike with 3 wheels and motor bike controlls

is that not a daft law
Yup it's daft BUT most of it is EU not UK law

When it was UK law you could drive a 3 wheeler on a bike license if it had no reverse gear.

Much more sensible UUUUuummm 'praps not.

Trouble is most of it developed over many years then the EU rules we have
to add to our already confused regulations and it gets more complicated.

What it needs is someone to go through all of it and make it sensible.
BUT that opens up a whole new can of worms.
Old 21-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post

When it was UK law you could drive a 3 wheeler on a bike license if it had no reverse gear.
That was a strange one because the old Indian motorbike and the Honda both had a reverse gear and you could ride them on a bike license..

John
Old 21-06-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
That was a strange one because the old Indian motorbike and the Honda both had a reverse gear and you could ride them on a bike license..

John
Yup and you could ride a Ural outfit with reverse but a reliant had to have a plate bolted over the reverse selector.

How about this. When Oi gets me license back (The Bert thing)

I'll lose my trailer bit and mini bus and vans over 3.5 tonnes 'cos they consider it a new license.

But when I gets me HGV back I'll be able to drive a 44 tonne artic or anything over 7.5 tonnes but nothing between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes.

Ya gotta laff ainch ya.
Old 21-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:

Reverse Gear

Up until 1963 only people with a full car licence could have a reverse gear on a 3-wheeler. Motor-cyclist licence holders with no car licence had to have the reverse gear disabled if it was fitted. The change of law in 1963 means that anyone can now have a reverse gear on a 3-wheeler.

they never advertised the fact though
Old 21-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Chat Slapper

Just call the DVLA, they will tell what you are entitle to drive/ride.

just tell them what you have on the back of your license and away you go.

simple !!

what i did
Old 21-06-2010, 09:30 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Don't rely on the phone conversation to resolve doubt, get it in writing. If possible
Old 21-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Chat Virgin

A kp
why i have a moped on a full motorcycle licence i dont know

acording to dvla i can drive any motorcycle no restrictions
Old 27-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Chat Slapper

Simple ans is no B1 then no trike

the only way to get a B1 these day's is to do a car test unless your disabled then you can do a B1 test.

And even then it's hard to find a test center that will do the B1 only test
you can however ride an outfit on your bike licence maybee that's worth looking at ?

I'm the same as yourself IE no car licence but i passed my bike test a long time ago so i do have a full B1 on my licence

police site about 3 wheelers
https://www.askthe.police.uk/Content/Q504.htm
Old 16-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Chat Virgin

Default One Ray of Hope !

I gather you have gone round all the existing circuits of what your motorcycle licence will or won't allow without entirely getting anywhere.

I will throw you these two nuggets of help for what they are worth.

If the wheelbase between the two wheels exceeds 470 mm then a trike it is and currently only covered under category B or B1 licence, or inherited rights from an old motorcycle test pass that effectively placed b1, on your existing licence. If less than it is a bicycle and can be ridden on your full cat a with any passenger.

In 2013 when the fourth European Driving Licence Directive comes in trikes will be recategorised under the A licence so you will need a test pass on the correct type of bike to ride a trike of similar engine size etc. All previous holders of category A licence will inherit "Grandfather" rights to these vehicles.

So you could build it with a narrow wheel base and ride it now or build it with a wider wheelbase and ride it later !

If you wanna know any more then please just pm me. I am a bike instructor, I have run my own bike and trike build and service workshop up until march this year when I took a job with another shop. I have researched trike licensing very thoroughly because I have had a number of customers all asking similar questions to you and getting equally confused by the answers, and then leaving me to build them a legal vehicle that they could use.

If all else fails then:- K.T.A and Let God sort 'em out
Old 17-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Chat Virgin

Angry

Quote:
Yup and you could ride a Ural outfit with reverse but a reliant had to have a plate bolted over the reverse selector.

How about this. When Oi gets me license back (The Bert thing)

I'll lose my trailer bit and mini bus and vans over 3.5 tonnes 'cos they consider it a new license.

But when I gets me HGV back I'll be able to drive a 44 tonne artic or anything over 7.5 tonnes but nothing between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes.

Ya gotta laff ainch ya.
if you already have the entitlements for trailers, and minibuses they should be on your licence when you get it back- if they are not send it back and tell them!
MCN have been on to this for a while- one guy rode for 26 years, sent off for a new ticket and got it back with no bike bit on it.
makes my blood boil that civil servants can be so bloody careless- if i was a doctor and i 'forgot' to sew someone up i'd get screwed royally, but 'cos it's only a bit of aper it don't matter......
Old 17-08-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian1968 View Post
if you already have the entitlements for trailers, and minibuses they should be on your licence when you get it back- if they are not send it back and tell them!
MCN have been on to this for a while- one guy rode for 26 years, sent off for a new ticket and got it back with no bike bit on it.
makes my blood boil that civil servants can be so bloody careless- if i was a doctor and i 'forgot' to sew someone up i'd get screwed royally, but 'cos it's only a bit of aper it don't matter......
It's not a mistake it's their policy.

My trailer entitlement is Grandfather rights. I never took a test for it.

Because they claim the licence will be a new one I won't get the
entitlements that I have not taken a test for.

I have written to my Lib Dem parasite MP jeremy Browne twice but he has not replied.

I need to challenge the policy not a mistake.

I made them write a letter confirming my bike licence before I agreed to send my old licence back, even though they threatened to send the police round to get it!

By the way the employee I was conversing with had never heard of entitlements going missing and whem I mentioned MCN said "don't believe all you read in the press."
Old 18-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeInstructor View Post
I gather you have gone round all the existing circuits of what your motorcycle licence will or won't allow without entirely getting anywhere.

I will throw you these two nuggets of help for what they are worth.

If the wheelbase between the two wheels exceeds 470 mm then a trike it is and currently only covered under category B or B1 licence, or inherited rights from an old motorcycle test pass that effectively placed b1, on your existing licence. If less than it is a bicycle and can be ridden on your full cat a with any passenger.

In 2013 when the fourth European Driving Licence Directive comes in trikes will be recategorised under the A licence so you will need a test pass on the correct type of bike to ride a trike of similar engine size etc. All previous holders of category A licence will inherit "Grandfather" rights to these vehicles.

So you could build it with a narrow wheel base and ride it now or build it with a wider wheelbase and ride it later !

If you wanna know any more then please just pm me. I am a bike instructor, I have run my own bike and trike build and service workshop up until march this year when I took a job with another shop. I have researched trike licensing very thoroughly because I have had a number of customers all asking similar questions to you and getting equally confused by the answers, and then leaving me to build them a legal vehicle that they could use.

Well that's a ray of hope then for all us who don't have a cage licence, (never felt safe in one long enough to finish a lesson). well i can wait til 2013 i suppose.