100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 21-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Chatter Box

Default Belt drive troubles

Last week end I finally got to clean the bike after its trip to Le Mans for the 24 hour racing (cars not bikes!). It ran a treat, never missing a beat in some of the most torrential rain I have ever ridden through.

As I cleaned up the swing arm and rear pulley I Spun the back wheel to check the belt then……. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeek

The drive belt was split almost through. About 5mm of useable width left. Now that could be been a show stopper. Phoned up my local Harley Davidson stealer. £357 for a belt supplied and fitted. I think I will have a go myself. They are charging £237 for the belt alone plus £120 for fitting; I can get a belt from the US for less than $200.

I love the belt drive but when they are buggered it’s a pain.
Old 22-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Watch out with the bargains from the US, lately i keep getting hit with some kinda tax, import tax, customs, or whatever. I dunno what it actually is, i've never took that much notice, but i've been hit with £20 odd for a $24 part, so the bargain part soon goes out the window.
£120 dont sound too bad for fitting, if the Buell (which i spotted that you ride from an older post) is anything like a proper Harley, it's swinging arm out, primaries off, one helluva bitch of a job. May even be worth phoning round bike builder places to seef thay've modified one and had to fit a different belt, and are left with the stock one gathering dust.
Old 22-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Been out, but rather stay in!

You can pay £200 for a chain and sprockets + fitting for an 'ordinary' bike.
So since I'm led to believe that belts last a lot longer than a chain/sprockets, and don't need faffing with every few hundred miles, £357 don't sound too bad....
Old 22-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by droid View Post
£357 don't sound too bad....
Ok now I am over the initial shock maybe its not too bad. Its not a big twin so access is reasonable when the swing arm is off (acording the Buell workshop manual). Carn't be arsed to do it myself.

Fook it, time to bite the bullet! Booked it in on Saturday to get it fitted.

I just want to get riding again. I hope the few last threads of kevlar last another 35 miles, otherwise its the AA.