100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 11-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Chatter Box

Default Advice About Reliant Axle Ratios

Information available elsewhere. Seek and ye shall find

Last edited by happybiker; 17-09-2008 at 01:36 PM. Reason: leaving forum, cleaning up posts
Old 17-04-2006, 03:07 PM
Chat Slapper

Question

Hiya Happy biker,I'v got a realto axle going on my wifes trike and the ratios have thrown me a bit whats the recommended wheel size for these i'v been looking for 14" and 15" wheels and getting into a lot of confusion over what fits.I tried a set of steel astra rims the other day and they dont appear to fit even though their compatable to novas.i'v also been told that some volkswagen and m series bmw also work.do i need mini wheel nuts alone or do i need studs to as well to centralise the wheels,Me and a mate also need to know whats the best to use for a rear brake cylinder that will give us proper feel to the brakes,i wont be riding it my missus will be and she's not experianced so i need to get it right.I also need to know about allowing movement on the prop when i match the reliant to the shadow prop,the shadow prop has a spline which enters the uj behind the gearbox i'm guessing i set it all the way in when the swingarm is level and hope it doesn't pop out when the swingarm travel reachs its extremities both upwards and down thanks.
Glyn

Last edited by glyn; 17-04-2006 at 04:12 PM.
Old 21-04-2006, 10:23 AM
Chat Virgin

Astra, Nova and Cavalier wheels should fit on reliant axles. we've put a set of 14" cav's on my wifes trike and they seem fine. Early 3 series bmw rims will also fit. my mates wifes trike has a set of 15" alloys on it. problem with reliant axles seems to be good bottom end but peter out about 70/75 mph.
As for master cylinder I'd recommend something like the original reliant part or a vw unit. on my first reliant we put a big sports bike rear brake cylinder on and ran it thru a remote servo from a mini. if you want more feel from itthen all i can suggest is to lengthen the brake pedal so you get more travel.

Last edited by Big Daz; 21-04-2006 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Send a message via MSN to BikerGran

My GT550 trike has a Reliant axle (dunno which) - liker you say, 70-75, maybe wind it up to 80 on a dual carriageway - but she goes like stink in the lower gears so thats fine by me! Mine uses the original reliant master cylinder & drum brakes, operated by the original bike lever and rod, excellent braking, can lock up the rear easy if I get over-enthusiastic with the right foot!
Old 18-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Chat Slapper

Thumbs up

A big belated thanks to you all.
Glyn
Old 29-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

both my current axles are different, ones stamped with B on the diff, the other with A

which one would people recomend for use on bike trike with 17" car wheels??
Old 01-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Chat Slapper

Default Axles

The A on the diff means it is from a Rialto - same as mine! 3.23 to 1 ratio.
Regards,
Bozza
Old 01-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyn
Hiya Happy biker,I'v got a realto axle going on my wifes trike and the ratios have thrown me a bit whats the recommended wheel size for these i'v been looking for 14" and 15" wheels and getting into a lot of confusion over what fits.I tried a set of steel astra rims the other day and they dont appear to fit even though their compatable to novas.i'v also been told that some volkswagen and m series bmw also work.do i need mini wheel nuts alone or do i need studs to as well to centralise the wheels,Me and a mate also need to know whats the best to use for a rear brake cylinder that will give us proper feel to the brakes,i wont be riding it my missus will be and she's not experianced so i need to get it right.I also need to know about allowing movement on the prop when i match the reliant to the shadow prop,the shadow prop has a spline which enters the uj behind the gearbox i'm guessing i set it all the way in when the swingarm is level and hope it doesn't pop out when the swingarm travel reachs its extremities both upwards and down thanks.
Glyn
I'm running the Realto axle (3.23 to 1. A stamped on the diff)
17 inch Wolfrace Toxins. PCD 100mm as long as you get the conical unf wheelnuts to suit - not the short standard ones.
Dont forget to turn the brake shoes when you turn the axle upside down so you get a leading edge - otherwise you will never stop the thing, believe me I know!!! Brand new 3/4 inch bore Girling master cylinder is 17.00
If you need pics of mine let me know.
Regards,
Bozza
Old 13-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

couple of questions

whers best to get that master cyliner??

tried demon ripoffs and nowt for less that 40

oh and for the record the part number in the listing above for the wheel cylinder apparantly relates to the front wheel cylinder??

and Im well pleased as I now realised that I got the B version so higher geared and gonna cruise a bit better on my tike as I hate them revving theor tits off

as a rough guide for people, I quoted 10.51 for the brake shoes, and 5.37 for the slaves, this is retail, and theres about anohter 10-15% to come off this trade/mates rate

Last edited by devon-tony; 13-12-2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:23 AM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
and Im well pleased as I now realised that I got the B version so higher geared and gonna cruise a bit better on my tike as I hate them revving theor tits off
could you tell me the ratio of this diff please

thanks budge
Old 31-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Chat Slapper

Default ratio

a mate of mine built a taste trike out of a ZL900 and ran a 750 robin axle with 13 inch wheels and 70 profile tyres. it was fast on pick up and sat at 80mph from birmingham to Cornwall