100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 26-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Chat Slapper

Default DAS Course

After saving for the last few months I'm starting to get close to having enough money to do my direct access. I haven't ridden for three years so I've been speaking to various firms and asking what they recommend. So far I've been quoted 660 for CBT, 5 x 3hr Lessons and both tests from one company and 635 for CBT, 2 Full Day Lessons and both tests from another. Both these quotes are not "guaranteed pass" courses (i.e. If I fail either test then the test fee's for a second go at it fall to me), but they do both include bike hire.

What do these fees sound like to you? Does anyone have any recent experience of DAS courses? Should I be paying this much or could I get it cheaper (the less the test costs the more I have to spend on a bike).

If anyone knows of any good training firms in the Shropshire/Wolverhampton area I'd also appreciate recommendations.
Old 26-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

My local instructor recommends takin the training in chunks according to what you NEED. Maybe do you CBT, see how things go and ask your instructor just how much time you need to get through your test. Now the test has changed, it might be worth doing the extra hours.

Many moons ago when I took my 'part II', I was already riding a 125, had been for a year and just had 4 hours training to iron out any bad habits and take a run round the test routes.
Old 26-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Chat Slapper

You're thinking along the same lines as me. The first option allows me to take my five 3hr lessons when I want (they do evenings and weekends which is also a bonus) which I think will give me a higher chance of passing the test than two solid days (which would probably amount to the same amount of riding time). The problem of course is that it is more expensive to do it that way.

They did say I wouldn't have to pay it all up front so I may well get on to them about doing my CBT and see what they think about my skills, I rode for two years (a year on a 50 a year on a 125) before my CBT ran out three years ago so hopefully I should pick it back up fairly easily.
Old 26-05-2009, 02:03 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Shrewsbury any good to you? I did the DAS about 6 years ago in Newtown on the 2 days training thing, a lot of the time was wasted stopping for butties, going for a blast down nice A roads, which may be fun but naff all use for learning and was done in a fairly large group so individual attention was lacking a bit. I failed the test and cos there were no retests available any time soon I went to Fastrack in Shrewsbury, Way better, 3 hour lessons one or 2 to 1 where we concentrated on getting my riding up to scratch Lots of bad habbits from 3 years on 'L' plates) Their bikes and kit were in better order and the instructors were properly on my case, might sound bad them being on your case but the aim is to get you past the test so if your riding is likely to offend an examiners delicate sensibilities and earn you a fail then it really helps to fix it Before it earns you a fail. Anyways I'd 100% recomend Fastrack Kawasaki in Shrewsbury for a DAS course. Price sounds about what it costs, not cheap but nor is failing the test(s) Course wise, I'd recon the 3 hour lessons are a better bet as after 3 houres your attention may well start to waver, plus you'll loose time for toilet breaks, tea breaks and coffee stops. Ask what bikes you'll be on and for a sit on them at the least and what group sizes yo'd be in, if there's more of you it's less time with the instructor and therefore poorer value for money. 2 X 2.5 houres sessions taught me more att Fasttrack than a 3 day course of which one day ended up being 2 days and an hour practice on day 3 before a test in Newtown. Reason I say ask to sit on the bike you'll be riding is the bike I was first put on I just wasn't comfortable on, particuarly as it had a weedy front stopper but a very easy to lock rear brake (was a gs500 twin, very poor parts bin special I'd say) The center would only let me ride this particular bike, somewhere that would give you a choice of bikes would be good. Personally I really prefered the kwack 500 twin Fastrak put me on, better matched front and rear brakes for a start.
Old 26-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Chat Slapper

Most places seem to use CB500s. I've never sat on one let alone ridden one so I'm not sure how well I'll get on with it.

I'll try Fasttrack as they're not too far from me (I live near Bridgnorth). Will call them this afternoon to inquire on prices etc... If they can get it down to less than five and a half hundred quid I should be able to book it straight away.

edit: Just spoke to Fast Trak they were saying CBT, Two Days Training on an er-5 and both tests for 580, additional days at 160 a day. That's cheaper than other quotes I've had but is only for two days training so I'm slightly wary.

edit2: Just got off the phone to GTD in Kidderminster. They're offering CBT, Both Tests and as many lessons as needed for 700 including bike hire. It's the most expensive but it also means there is pretty much zero chance of me going into my test unprepared (they said it's usually be 15-20 hours training before doing the test). Also if I do fail either test I only have to pay the test fees again not for any more lessons. I think this one has definitely swung me but getting the cash together is another matter.

Last edited by *TQ*; 26-05-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 30-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Chat Slapper

I can strongly recommend a guy called John Cracknell of Roadcraft Motorcycle training, he's based at Cradley Heath Kawasaki. He got me and quite a few of my mates through the test over the years, ex old bill instructor so he's shit hot, and a good laugh as well.

http://www.cradleykawasaki.co.uk/content/Roadcraft.php
Old 30-05-2009, 11:46 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Mate of mine is an instructor at Black Country Motorcycle Training in Tipton so not a million miles away from you

http://www.bcmt.net/

Trouble with a lot of places is that they charge you however many hundred quid, and then you've got to take into account nearly a week off work to fit it in so by the time you've added it all up you're probably looking at getting on for a grand

Black Country charge you 95.00 for your CBT, and then you can have a 3 hour lesson for 50.00 as and when you want or can afford one, while you're waiting to do your theory test, and don't forget that with this new test you can't book Part 2 until you've passed Part 1