100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 27-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Default Killer driver's sentence slammed

I'm angry, so fucking angry I'm finding it hard to type.

(deep breath)

A local OAP was recently jailed for 16 months for what the judge descibed as reckless and fatal error of judgement when she killed a motorcyclist on a busy road in Suffolk. The local paper has today printed a letter from someone slamming the sentence and basically saying it was the riders fault for travelling above the speed limit on a known dangerous road. I feel the need to write a reply to this blinkered old bag and put forward reasons why drivers who kill should be heavily punished but I'm just too fucking mad at present to put anything coherent down in a letter.
If anyone would like to draft something strucured and coherent then please feel free to do so, all I want to type at the moment are 4 letter words.

AND I'm now being dragged kicking and screaming to do bloody Christmas shopping.

Old 27-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

in all fairness how much over the speed limit was the motorcyclist. here on the twisty roads in wales we have junctions close to bends. no problem if traffic is at or below the speed limit. but if someone is maybe 20-30 mph over then it's a different story.. and i know, there is a junction near me where i know that if a vehicle comes aroundthe bend at 60 it takes 5 seconds to reach the junction. i pulled out in the car and there was a bike bearing down on me, still leaning due to his speed, i floored the car and he passed close behind. it so could have ended up different
Old 27-11-2008, 11:20 AM

True there are idiots on bikes.
However we are at times all tarred with the same brush
Old 27-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

HOLD UP, lets not go jumping on the same band wagon, just becasue some ol biddy that writes to the paper says he was speeding, doesnt mean he was.

unless excess/illegal speed was proven then he wasnt speeding in my opinion

without seeing the whole report you cant make worthwhile comments
Old 27-11-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon-tony View Post
HOLD UP, lets not go jumping on the same band wagon, just becasue some ol biddy that writes to the paper says he was speeding, doesnt mean he was.

unless excess/illegal speed was proven then he wasnt speeding in my opinion

without seeing the whole report you cant make worthwhile comments
As with many post on here the debate widens away from the first post.
In this case i feel this is what happened.
Equally important is the fact that YOU do not know that this rider was not speeding.
So lets not assume that either.
Drackens post was based on personal experience and i commented on that.
Not the original example.
So if you have no probs with that i will comment.
Old 27-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Jedi Chat Master

As far as I can remember, it was estimated his speed was between 60 & 80 on an A class trunk road. The reason the road is classed as dangerous is there are two opposing side roads, staggered, and an opening between the carriageways to allow traffic from the side roads to join the traffic in either direction. The woman driving the car had pulled to a halt in the inside lane to let a car and a lorry go by, and then attempted to cross the carriageway even though she admitted she had seen the headlight of the motorcyclist in her mirror.
Old 27-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Complete and utter git

don't know anything about her but if she's a 'respectable' middle-england old biddy the length of the sentence may be immaterial, that 16 months could be more of a punishment to her than 16 years to a seasoned offender - and let's face it lots of people do what she did and they walk free - I wouldn't employ her brief

Old 27-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Chatter Box

This lady went out in her car to go some where. I have serious doudts she was out to kill. The motorcyclist did not set off with the intention of it being his last ride. I would say this is a very sad day for all involved. And a day that will always haunt all involved.
Old 27-11-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
and then attempted to cross the carriageway even though she admitted she had seen the headlight of the motorcyclist in her mirror.
If she saw that and still went then it should be manslaughter
Old 27-11-2008, 11:29 PM

Send a message via MSN to Captain Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
If she saw that and still went then it should be manslaughter
and "halt in the inside lane to let a car and a lorry go by, and then attempted to cross the carriageway"

I remember hearing about this and thinking at the time that it's not usual practice to do a right turn on a dual carriageway in this manner. Suggests she was unfit to drive and was an accident waiting to happen. Sadly too many similar folk around.

QVANTI CANICVLA ILLE IN FENESTRA

http://www.captsmurf.co.uk

Flickr

captainsmurf.tel
Old 28-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
and "halt in the inside lane to let a car and a lorry go by, and then attempted to cross the carriageway"

I remember hearing about this and thinking at the time that it's not usual practice to do a right turn on a dual carriageway in this manner. Suggests she was unfit to drive and was an accident waiting to happen. Sadly too many similar folk around.
I guess its difficult for old people to assess themselves. When do you decide that you are not safe to drive/ride..? Its a difficult one. Over a certain age, you have to get a doctors okay every 2 years to keep your licence, but a lot can change in 2 years. My family had to step in recently and pursuade my Nan that it was probably better not to drive any more.. Shes in her 80's and still fit and healthy and never had an accident. She didnt do anything wrong but we started to worry about her level of concentraton and focus... Its a tough call.....stop before a problem when they seem okay, or wait till an incident ???? My Nans been driving herself all her life...and now shes lost that independance and has to get buses/taxis/lifts.....
None of what Ive said detracts any responsibility away from anyone who makes a serious mistake....but sometimes the smallest error can have horrendous consequences
PT
Old 02-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Chat Virgin

More of the same

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090402...h-6323e80.html

PT
Old 02-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Of course it will happen again.

At the end. my Mum's cancer was so bad that she was on monster doses of Morphine for the pain. The second last time I saw her, she didn't know who I was, and mistook me for one of her home carers - I won't detail what she got me to do, but no son should have to do that for their own Mother.

However, the doctor at no stage revoked her driving licence - on her better days she was trying to get into the garage and start her car to drive it around the block so the battery didn't go flat. (I disconnected it so she couldn't).

They are out there on the roads with us all, people. Watch out for them.

Firedance Roadshow - www.firedance.biz
Old 02-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

There are many senior citizens that still drive and ride and if they are fit and healthy then it isn't a problem.

My neighbour was still riding his bike at 73 years young and only stopped when he no longer felt fit enough to be safe whilst out and about. He made a wise decision as his health had started to deteriorate and he ended his riding on his own terms, happy that he enjoyed every single minute of his 50 plus years of riding.

Unfortunately there are those who refuse to accept the inevitable and continue long after they really should have called it a day.

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 03-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

My grandad stopped riding at 80 and driving about 6 months later when he realised he had macular degeneration (a real shame as he was an engineer and was still working turning up parts for people in his shed). The trouble is the infermity tends to creep up slowly on people so they don't realise.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Oh Bugger!!!

John