100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Trike Magazine

Notices

Old 15-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

That is nice... very nice, wonder if it's still registered as a 750 on the log book?
Old 15-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Banned

Gotta love a big engined bug ........

Last edited by shaggy696969; 02-12-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 15-01-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmeister View Post
Was gonna use an adjustable angle woodwork tool that's in the unit and then use the protractor to read off the angle ,headstock is a right twat to get at
Yes it probably is.

That's why you measure the angle of the forks...

First checking that they are in fact parallel to the headstock by eye.
Old 16-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Chatter Box

Got some bits made up for the z13 yesterday ,headlight brackets etc and am getting some adapters made up by a mate to use the voyager top yoke with risers so i can use the pullback bars i have just got off ebay (no z13 top yokes anywhere )
Old 17-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Chatter Box

Got the machining done on the risers and fitted them and the pullback bars and now the wiring to the switches is too short and so is the clutch cable (time for a hydraulic clutch conversion then)
Got to move the tank back a bit too coz the top yoke is hitting it but it always looked a bit too far forward and up anyway
Old 17-01-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Got the machining done on the risers and fitted them and the pullback bars and now the wiring to the switches is too short and so is the clutch cable (time for a hydraulic clutch conversion then)
Got to move the tank back a bit too coz the top yoke is hitting it but it always looked a bit too far forward and up anyway
A trikers work is never done
Old 22-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Chatter Box

Still waiting for bits to arrive bought a ducati clutch master cylinder off ebay but it aint arrived yet)
The steering feels much better even just sitting in the unit and doesn't look half as shit as i thought it would which is good
Old 22-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Chatter Box

Oh yeh i fitted some nissin four pot calipers of a honda blackbird too as they were just lying round in the unit
Old 21-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Chatter Box

Finally got round to doing a bit with the z13
Took the half shafts out whilst fitting discs and calipers on the back and when we pulled the shaft out on the side of the axle that had been shortened we discovered that the bearing was well fecked and half shaft had about 5mm runout which may explain the somewhat quirky handling

Old 21-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Fookin ell mate. Some folk eh.
Old 21-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Borg

Thats twisted to feck, not good
Old 21-03-2009, 04:31 PM

yo could do with a sleeve over the welded section, then weld the ends of the tube as well, give you a bit extra strength..
Old 21-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Chatter Box

The section in the picture is a sleeve unfortunately the half shaft had a 5mm gap in between the two halfs of the shaft then the sleeve slid over the top and the ends welded , the sleeve was thin wall stainless pipe (not very thick unlike the person doing the work)
The half shaft is now one piece welded at the correct length with a thick wall sleeve (made out of a spare piece of roll cage tube that was in my supercharged drag beetle) the sleeve is welded at the ends (ends cut at an angle to get maximum weld area) so should be good enough for the job
Need to sort the handbrake cables and brake pipes next and may have to fit another mastercylinder on the back coz i'm not sure if the standard z one will move enough fluid ,i would like to err on the side of caution and change it now rather than later but i'm absolutely skint so will have to go with the suck it and see method for now
Got all the linkages made up for the forward controls done today too as the old linkage rods were flexing to much so blagged some hex bar from work and now its all good
Hydraulic clutch is up and running too zx10 hydraulic clutch cylinder worked by a Aprilia mille r mastercylinder (ducati monster one was tits)
Old 22-03-2009, 09:38 AM

cool, roll cage steel should be up to the job!
Old 27-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Chatter Box

Hi Dubmeister,
Been reading your thread with interest,I work in Carlisle and live in Annan, I have had 4 Trikes and now have the Hayabusa Trike which is pretty shortarsed, it rides well and is as you are probably aware fuckin quick, it does'nt wag its head either, it has 17"x 215/45 tyres on the back and the original 17" front with a standard bike front tyre, there is an original damper fitted, my bike does,nt have a great deal of steering rake and apart from a fair bit of rear torque steer on hard acceleration (now sorted) it rides well, I had a hard tail Suzuki VS800 Intruder with a Reliant diff in it and that was a proper bastard to steer at low speed due to a steep fork rake and an original 21" front wheel, but after 20mph it squared up very well right up to its flat out 100mph.Another Trike I had was a Yamaha XV1000 Virago which had an RS2000 axle mounted using the original swinging arm, this Trike handled brilliantly but did wag its head upto 30mph, My Busa trike uses a Quaiffe Powerloc Diff specially designed for it and it is strange to get used to as on cornering hard if you power it on the apex of a bend it wants to straighten up, In my opinion I would say you have found the main problem with the driveshaft being out of alignment, On all the Trikes I have ever ridden I realised that the stiffer the arse end the better, in fact I have fitted 1000lb springs and wound the dampers full up on the Busa coz with a fairing any sort of leaning effect scares the shit out of you.they are an aquired taste to ride and they do take getting used to, but hey looking at your creation I would definately persivere its lovely.
Regards
Alfie B
Old 28-03-2009, 09:59 AM
Chatter Box

Cheers for the confirmation that the trike will take a bit of getting used to i kind of thought it would
Alfie you should come and see it in the flesh coz its in Annan down the bottom of port street ,if i'm not about you should see one of the other lads (mike jack or nutty neil)
Got the trike in bits again (cleaning carbs ) and went to make up the brake pipes and found out the flaring tool had a bit missing so decided to space out the hydraulic clutch set up and went to unscrew the bolts and one sheared off so gave up and went home before i knackered anything else
Old 28-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Cheers for the confirmation that the trike will take a bit of getting used to i kind of thought it would
Alfie you should come and see it in the flesh coz its in Annan down the bottom of port street ,if i'm not about you should see one of the other lads (mike jack or nutty neil)
Got the trike in bits again (cleaning carbs ) and went to make up the brake pipes and found out the flaring tool had a bit missing so decided to space out the hydraulic clutch set up and went to unscrew the bolts and one sheared off so gave up and went home before i knackered anything else
Hi Again,
Yes I know Mike Jack well, and have been down Port St and know where you mean,I will try and catch up with you at some point,I have a habit of fuckin up jobs now and again so I piss off out of the garage to calm down and go back in when I am sane again,I took the Busa out for a blast today as ive been setting up the rear camber, and its much better now so I give it a fistfull and scared the shit out of myself he he.I will try to pop down tomorrow morning if I am doing nowt.
Hope to see you soon .
Take Care
Alfie B
Old 29-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Chatter Box

Hi Again,
I nipped down to the garage today expecting to see Mike or Neil but it was all locked up with no one around, went back again in the afternoon still locked up, so I went for a blat on the Busa, ended up doing 100mls, f*ck its hard on the old wrists as its still pretty sportsbike ish even with 4" risers on it but got the old adrenalin going, hurry up and get this big 6 sorted I would love to see it, I have always had a passion for 6 pot bikes and my dream was to get a CBX1000 but I could never afford one when I was younger. I reckon your Trike will be startling when you get it sorted.
Take Care
Alfie B