100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 26-03-2009, 06:59 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Default Bike tax

I complained to my MP the other week about bike tax and the smart car claims vs my 650...

Found out that its an EU thing... As only a small percentage of people use bikes they wont pay out for bikes to be CO2 and efficiency tested/rated (as cars are now) at the point of manufacture. Hence only sticking to current tax system...

This is also why manufacturers don't bother to improve output and efficiency... Well thats what the letter I got back indicated.
www.youtube.com/Gothtecdotcom
------------------------
Old 26-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

That's the bullshit answer, the real reply is that since the manufacturers started complying to EU Emissions Regs, bikes fall well below the threshold to qualify for the lowest vehicle excise duty, currently 0.00, and they damn well know it. If they insisted that bikes be emissions tested as part of the MOT, we would never pay tax on bikes ever again. They will never give up that revenue, ever.

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 26-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Banned

I think you will find 95% of bikes would Fail.

Bikes vary so widely from 50cc scooters up to 2ltr plus tourers and as most insist on fucking them up out of the crate ie pipes filters etc whilst they may make the bike sound better they do fuck up the running. When will people stop trying to get out of paying for tax, yes bikes cause less emissions but only if they cut through the traffic (Which is another Grey area) so therefore are running for less time to cover the same distance but they certainly aren't more economical as a whole. I know my Max gives approx 25-30 to the gallon as long as I am riding like a old fart and keeping off of the Vboost, and while I admit some 50cc scooters may give 100mpg plus it don't apply to the average bike. Stop fucking bleating and just pay, The nail that stands too tall gets hammered down. Somethings are worth fighting for, sometimes its best to just shut the fuck up.
Old 26-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy696969 View Post
I think you will find 95% of bikes would Fail.
Not those that conform to the current EU Emission Regs, they would pass with flying colours. And as time goes on and more and more folks replace older bikes with newer ones, then a bigger percentage would also pass.

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 26-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav View Post
Not those that conform to the current EU Emission Regs, they would pass with flying colours. And as time goes on and more and more folks replace older bikes with newer ones, then a bigger percentage would also pass.
And that would be inviting legislation like the cars where they then out price tax on older vehicles, lets all try and think of rods which they may beat us with. The more reasons you give them the more they will use.

ABS compulsory on all bikes after all its a safety feature airbags on bikes or compulsory airbag suits, oh oh maybe we can get them to bring in fluorescent suits after all we are so often not seen in accidents so lets all be conspicuous in our attire or lock us up for not being so. Or maybe just invalidate our insurance.