Old 02-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Chat Slapper

is it legal?? got to go through SVA remember
Old 02-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor heron View Post
Trev, how come your going SVA route?? I did mine specifically to avoid SVA too many headaches without SVA egtting involved? as for rear end stick with stock rear end for the build if you are putting handbrake calipers on the front, the more of the stock bike you have left on there the better the points score on inspection, you only need go the SVA route if you are seriously modding/cutting or welding onto the main chassis this is the reason why I went for bolt on.

Cheers

Steve
Old 02-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Chat Slapper

Default Sva

Thanks Steve, Not quite sure whats what anymore. Everyone keeps giving me conflicting advice. Lets get this straight. I am using a ZX7R as the donor vehicle, The whole bike will be left as is with the forks being shortened to the bottom yoke and steering rod fitted to that. Because the engine is hung, it makes it a little bit more difficult to attach front end but that can be overcome.
So, apart from the front wheel being removed and the forks shortened, the bike will be as it came out of the factory. {apart from the fairings being mostly removed}. The framework for the front end will be made from tubing and necessary suspension components. So in theory, it will be a bolt on kit. So what route do I need to explore MOT??
Thanks for your input, it is greatly appreciated.
Trev. Ps, from the photos you attached to the email, it looks like the framework was shop bought? What difference does it make if I am fabricating my own???

Last edited by trevor heron; 02-03-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the pushbike speedo is legal, there are so many bikers using them these days. from what i've heard they are pretty accurate too. I believe they work with magnets and a sensor. If you decide to go that route this will give you some ideas.

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/sigma.php

John
Old 02-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Chat Slapper

Cheers John, gives me something to think about
Old 02-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Chatter Box

New golf calipers come bare. They don't have springs, pins, retaining clips etc. with them and they certainly don't come with the hanger assembly which are the parts I have found hardest to get. Can work out really expensive unless getting complete s/h ones. You sure that's the route you want to take?
Old 02-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Chat Slapper

still working at the drawing board, like to get it all on paper before buying all bits and gluing them together any other suggestions welcome.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Need to Get out More!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus mickus View Post
It just depends if your vanity outweighs your thriftyness, I know mine doesn't! Halfords 8 function pushbike speedo 10.76, how cheap do you want it!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165741

I've had 2 of these on different bikes and they work just fine.

Cheers, Big Mick.
If you read the q & a section for that product it tells you that it not road legal!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Chat Slut

Hi Trev, front framework was fabricated not shop bought!

Like I said if your only bolting on the fron end and not welding anything to the chassis it will only require a DVLA inspection (as long as it's already registered of course!) they inspect it to check chassis and engine numbers coincide with whats on the V5 aswell as checking that all is bolted on, you will go on a points scoring system which is why it's best to leave as much as the original bike as possible.

Here's mine on the trailer before it went to the DVLA for inspection.

Cheers

Steve
Old 02-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Chat Slapper

I take it that just means an MOT? Bit different in Northern Ireland, we have government MOT centres.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Chat Slut

Inspection wasn't anything to do with MOT, Also had to have the vehicle weighed before inspection to prove it was under the magic 450kg limit, Inspection was merely a check on the vehicle to prove:

A. It was as described and a bolt on arrangement that could be transformed back to a motorcycle.

B. Check VIN numbers to make sure they matched with V5

c. To check the weight certificate to see if the vehicle conformed to the right taxation class

There are a lot of headaches to overcome with this sort of Trike, not sure what rulings you'd have to follow in N.I. though so can only give you my personal findings from over here.

Cheers

Steve
Old 02-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Chat Slapper

So if its not an MOT, then what do I apply for and how much does it cost??
I used the calculation on the DVLA,NI website and have a minimum of 10 points. engine=1 transmission=2 steering=2 chassis=5 suspension front and back=2 and axles=2.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:37 AM
Banned

Its called a "Radically Altered Vehicle" You get the forms from your local VRO. Northern Ireland / Irelane and Great Britain have a host of diferent ideas on this, so It depends where you are for points.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Chat Slapper

Cheers Shaggy, have worked out I have 10, points chassis=5 transmission=2 steering=2 engine=1. Do they have a split points system for axles and suspension? Talking rear untouched.
Thanks again
Trev
Old 03-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Banned

I dont know TBH , it will be a close run thing if they dont. As you are not keeping the front axel or steering or suspension. The points as I believed were for standard parts ie standard supension steering etc so could be dodgey, but again its worth a word the local VRO office. But be warned some act like tin gods and are pinickity where as others are bamboozled by what they are seeing and pass it out of ignorance. I believe titusni on here has had a lot of dealings with the Irish VRO in his dealings with his Trike do a search on his name and read some of is threads.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:27 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Axles and suspension. To get the points both front and rear systems should be retained, according to the crowd on the landrover forum I inhabit in a parrellell dimention at any rate. As with all things there will be gray areas open to interpretation, eg if you've kept the steering stem and altered the forks to operate steering to the front wheels than the suspentions gone for sure but it's an arueable matter as to the steering, original system retained but added to in effect...................... Build to msva standards so if it needs it than it won't be a disaster.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Chat Slapper

See your point guys, I will give them a call and run it by them. Our laws are much the same as yours as we are part of GB, in the north of Ireland. Can be confusing sometimes and as a soldier for many years, I was always explaining to English soldiers, that we are British and are laws are almost identical in theory to the rest of Britain. Although, at home, a lot of old gits [like me] are still stuck in the past and would fail an Mot if the horn beeped the wrong tune.: I really dont have many worries at this point, its just getting the details corrects for the red tape gang!
Old 04-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Trevor,

If it's modified to suit a disability, it's exempt from the SVA over here I believe. If you can't hold a motorcycle up, then that's what it is...

Might be worth checking?

Had a thought about calipers too. Alfa Romeo 116 floorpan cars (Alfetta, Guilietta, 75) have inborard discs on the back with a handbrake mechanism and Alfa Suds (not 33s) have something similar on the front.

Either of those is probably capable of generating more braking force than a caliper from the rear of a FWD car as they'll have considerably more weight on the wheels in question.

Watch out for leaks round the handbrake lever as that's nonrepairable. Caused by adjusting them incorrectly, a good read of the manual helps...
Old 04-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Chat Slapper

Cheers Blackjack. Never even occurred to me to look for leaks. Good point! I have planned to go to local scrappies in search of the perfect parts and now you have given me more to contimplate on, Think I have a list of about 20 to look at
As for the SVA on disability, it's a very foggy issue. But as I have been advised by the other guys to build as to SVA standards, then it should hold me in good stead for whatever comes around. Besides, might as well build a bullet proof version instead of cutting corners. I have enough health issues without adding to them!! Its funny how you think safe when you get older, compared to when I was younger and only the speed brain cell seemed to work! Strange but true.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Chat Slapper

Steve, did you have to produce receipts for all the parts you put on to the front end even if they were second hand or not? Also phoned the DVLA and asked about the weight issue and they told me they didn't think I needed it!
and knew nothing about receipts??? Doe's anyone know their job any more???
Old 05-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Banned

I had to provide all receipts for what I had, yes including second hand (it's to prove nothing stolen) and also engineers report on subframe and a receipt to prove the Axel had been reconditioned to new standard. The prat in the VRO just flicked through them then went off to get me tax disc. Trouble is you cant rely on them all being lax.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Chat Slapper

Now theres something new, knew nothing of engineers report, how much did that cost?
Old 05-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Chat Slut

Quote:
Now theres something new, knew nothing of engineers report, how much did that cost?

Never had engineers report on mine!

Steve
Old 05-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBeachill View Post
Never had engineers report on mine!

Steve
But Steve you got away with a lot you shouldnt have, I rememeber our discussions at teh time.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy696969 View Post
But Steve you got away with a lot you shouldnt have, I rememeber our discussions at teh time.

Only stating a fact Mr Shagster, took all receipts for bits I bought and had made, took my weight certificate with me to show it came in under 450kg limit and the only thing the guy was interested in was:

1. It was bolt on and nothing welded to frame
2. Weight certificate from a proper weigh bridge
3. That chassis and engine number matched V5

What you have to remember is this was only an inspection to prove the above points and obviously assess the vehicle for points, an SVA WILL be more thorough and require a lot more details, like I stated earlier I can only give what my personal experience was, seems other individuals have been treated differently! maybe they just had a real pain in the arse to deal with on the day, or Jobsworth as they are better known!

Steve
Old 05-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy696969 View Post
Oh and by the way what did I actually get away with that I shouldn't have?? Apart from the final steering geometry set up which wasn't part of the inspection, as it was just a visible inspection as previously stated! he didn't even want to hear it run!! could've been empty crankcases for all he knew!

Steve
Old 05-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Chat Slapper

Is it any wonder I am so piggin confused
Old 06-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Chat Slut

Quote:
Is it any wonder I am so piggin confused

Trouble is Trev there are so many different conflicting stories on who's done what and what works for who that it becomes a nightmare if you listen to them all!! Best thing I can suggest is follow your own path/initiative and grab a copy of section 9 of the MOT manual (think I may still have a copy in the computer) to help with the planning/requirements and placement of things and go from there, I did the same as you and asked lots of questions but ended up more confused than anything! so set about just doing it and going from there.

Cheers

Steve
Old 06-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Chat Slapper

Cheers Steve