100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 13-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Send a message via MSN to Captain Smurf
Default Compulsory Airbag Jackets

This one's rearing it's head again:
Dozens of motorcyclists' lives could be saved every year if air bag jackets were made compulsory, accident and emergency doctors have said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/te...00/7886427.stm

I've posted this in reply - don't know if it will get online:

"One big complaint about bikers is the perception that we all throw caution to the wind and ride like maniacs. Certainly everyone who rides, or drives, accepts a certain degree of risk. So the effect of this perceived safety aid will likely be to promote risk taking, so as to restore that degree of risk. One more measure aimed at ameliorating the results of an accident, rather than preventing the accident in the first place. These safety aids will not restore sight to myopic drivers; they will not prevent one driver using a mobile phone whilst driving.

A final point - can anyone guarantee that there will never be an accidental inflation? Such an occurence is bad enough in a car - I think the outcome for a rider is likely to be fatal.

QVANTI CANICVLA ILLE IN FENESTRA

http://www.captsmurf.co.uk

Flickr

captainsmurf.tel
Old 13-02-2009, 12:41 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Send a message via MSN to odie

This was on national TV this morning, they went to the "Ace cafe" and spoke to a guy there who said he thought it was a good idea.
Really clever, get a "biker" to support it and all bikers will want one?
And another thing to think about, if they brought this in how long before insurance companys deny claims for not wearing one or any other item "they consider as being a "safety item"?
Old 13-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Need to Get out More!

Default crazy

its just bloody crazy it makes my blood boil every time the try this sort of thing, they will be trying the helmet air bag next dont fancy them i choke with a polo kneck swetter on + wearing crash helmets every day since they became compulsary has buggerd my kneck but my head is ok?? (lol)

sent email saying we should not be held f accountable for car drivers failings & have to buy extra gear because of them,

Last edited by quasar; 13-02-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 13-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Chatter Box

You know what?

It is a very clever idea. It's a fantastic bit of kit & seems to do a good job.

You shouldn't be trying to pick holes in something that is a very clever bit on enginewity.

What you should be getting your backs up about, is the idea that someone is saying it should be compulsory. I can definitely see a load of people wanting them if they are manufactured in a variety of styles at a reasonable price. BUT the onus should be on making them available as a choice amongst all the other rider equipment available. It should be there if you want it.

They won't make it compulsory anyway. Just think of all the Bike clothing manufacturers kicking up a mass stink over the fact they can no longer sell any of their stock. They're highly unlikely to scrap what they're geared up to make & start their whole production process from scratch. It's not like the helmet law - bringing that in, didn't try and override or replace an existing set of products - It made something that already was in mass existence, a legal requirement.

Somebody wants to shout out as a safety Nazi but it'll all be a storm in a tea cup for a while (or as long as all UK bike forums are running around like headless chickens getting aperplectic about the whole issue).

Last edited by PsychoBikerBen; 13-02-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 13-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

People can write what they like on bike forums, but you need to take the argument to the people who vote on policy, and that means contacting your MP/MEP, or paying membership to a group like MAG who will do the lobbying on behalf of their members.

These days you can e-mail your MP, so if you're capable of producing a well reasoned argument against compulsion on here, why not e-mail it onto them?
Old 13-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

It could be a good idea but it throws up several questions, Attached by a lead to the bike, I wonder how many bikers had tried to ride away with a wheel lock in place because they have forgotton it, Imagine getting off the bike with the lead still attached! ok for a mr blobby convention. If it is made compulsory what happens if you ride a couple of hundred miles dismount and woof the air bag fills, how do you get home? do you have to buy a new one every time it goes off. Good idea but it should be like tassels. A matter of personal choice.

John
Old 13-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
It could be a good idea but it throws up several questions, Attached by a lead to the bike, I wonder how many bikers had tried to ride away with a wheel lock in place because they have forgotton it, Imagine getting off the bike with the lead still attached! ok for a mr blobby convention. If it is made compulsory what happens if you ride a couple of hundred miles dismount and woof the air bag fills, how do you get home? do you have to buy a new one every time it goes off. Good idea but it should be like tassels. A matter of personal choice.

John
Deflate it with a sharp object, tuck it all back in, & carry on your way.

That's not the real issue.
People pulling at your activation cord for a 'laugh' when your waiting at the lights. You can just see loads of drivers involved in road rage incidence with bikes, just getting out of their vehicles and inflating you, to p*ss you off.
Old 13-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

This made me laugh and shows me he is not in possession of the full facts.

Quote:
Dr Parfitt, a keen biker, said: "There's no question that what the jackets do afford is, they protect a motorcyclists' vital organs, neck and spine over and above the level that a normal jacket would do.
If I was wearing an airbag jacket when I had my crash, I would still have received compression fractures to my spine as I hit a brick wall head first. All the airbag jacket will do is prevent scrapes, grazes and bruises and possibly collar bone injuries. I reckon they have not tested them sufficiently yet and we need at least 5 more years of intensive testing for every eventuality before making such bold claims as Dr Parfitt.

It is an accepted fact that airbags in cars do not prevent serious internal injuries in certain circumstances yet the powers that be ignored those circumstances when they encouraged the Motor Industry to fit airbags as standard on all cars. If you have a collision at over 30 mph, the airbag will stop you hitting the windscreen/steering wheel, but will not stop your internals from continuing forwards after you have been brought to a halt. many deaths in car accidents are now down to punctured lungs and ruptured spleens/livers from the trauma of coming to a dead stop in a fraction of a second.

I could go on, but I shall leave you all to digest those bits if info for now.

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 13-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav View Post
If I was wearing an airbag jacket when I had my crash, I would still have received compression fractures to my spine as I hit a brick wall head first.
I thought that would be obvious. The impact to the head caused the problem. If you slid down the road and your back smacked up a curb or a barrier, I think the jacket might make a difference.
I had a bad smack in wales. Bruised my spine & was imobile for 3 weeks. I know I'd have probably gotten away with a lot less if I had something like that on. But, now I wear a back protector, so my back is pretty much covered. My ribs are still exposed though, and as I do a lot of off road stuff, I'll be getting a full MX armour vest for protection against tree roots, posts & anything I'm likely to bail out on.

Quote:
If you have a collision at over 30 mph, the airbag will stop you hitting the windscreen/steering wheel, but will not stop your internals from continuing forwards after you have been brought to a halt.
Without an air bag, your chest can slam into the steering wheel and your head can smash against the windscreen and when they bring you to a halt, I'm pretty sure your organs would still continue to keep going forward.

At the end of the day, there are so many variables involved with an accident. Any piece of equipment that may help in minimising further injury has to be a good thing, but it should be down to the individual in question weather such devises should be switched on or off, or in the case of the jacket, worn or not.
Old 13-02-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBikerBen View Post
At the end of the day, there are so many variables involved with an accident. Any piece of equipment that may help in minimising further injury has to be a good thing, but it should be down to the individual in question weather such devises should be switched on or off, or in the case of the jacket, worn or not.
Indeed, but not testing the devices thoroughly can be just as bad as not having them at all.

BTW, Lazer Helmets are damn good.

Grav
headbutter of walls.

Old 13-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Indeed, but not testing the devices thoroughly can be just as bad as not having them at all.
Aye, true enough.

I just see on other forums, people slamming a potentially good idea for a piece of equipment because someone mentions the word compulsory.
People can't seem to separate the two things & freaking out.
Old 13-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Grav
headbutter of walls.
It should be pointed out that if new legislation were to be brought out that all walls should be made of custard there would be less damage when headbutting one.

Although the deep trauma caused by being covered in horrible cold custard could put you off headbutting walls for life.

John
Old 13-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

sod the air jackets , make these compulsary insteed

Old 13-02-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
It should be pointed out that if new legislation were to be brought out that all walls should be made of custard there would be less damage when headbutting one.

Although the deep trauma caused by being covered in horrible cold custard could put you off headbutting walls for life.

John
There is no such thing as trauma from being covered in Custard. It is a most pleasurable experience. I can vouch for this as I have thoroughly tested it in a multitude of locations and positions.

Old 13-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!
Old 13-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Send a message via MSN to Captain Smurf

Quote:
There is no such thing as trauma from being covered in Custard. It is a most pleasurable experience. I can vouch for this as I have thoroughly tested it in a multitude of locations and positions.
It is rash statements such as this which lead to compulsion - please stop and think before you introduce ideas such as this to a public forum

Speaking of rashes; I do believe I would suffer a reaction to so much custard coming into direct contact with my skin.

Oooh - just had a thought about another technical objection. As everyone is scared shitless of being sued I believe it is essential that any proposed airbag be designed, as is the requirement for lifejackets, to turn the wearer on his/her back when immersed in water so as to prevent the unconscious casualty from drowning. And a little flashing light and a whistle should be provided in case you do a flyer off a bridge in the dark.

QVANTI CANICVLA ILLE IN FENESTRA

http://www.captsmurf.co.uk

Flickr

captainsmurf.tel
Old 13-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

It'll die the death, like 'leg protectors' 30 years ago.

Last edited by droid; 13-02-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 13-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Seems to me that the most common place for gravel rash is on your arse!

John
Old 14-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Qualified Sniggerer (MDLCSS)

I LOVE CUSTARD ! ! ....I love custard with custard the most !......its got my vote...
Old 14-02-2009, 03:47 PM
BIGGUS DICKUS

Send a message via MSN to jimmymoonlite

Wot fettl all.................and before you all get jiggy and up in arms because that self opinionated geriatric old bastard is going off on one again, I shall be brief...............unusual I grant you, but brief I shall be.

The most worrying thing for me in all this is not the lack of research and spin on this subject, it is the fact that Government in the form of a D.O.T. junior minister has stated "the government has no immediate plans to make such equipment compulsory".........................

Well I've been around a long time and this I have learned, when the government say they are'nt, then you can bet a pound to a pinch of pigshit that they fucking well are..................or my cock's a kipper................

Watch this space.....................another erosion of biker freedoms no matter what the safety lobby and the traffic taliban or even a mo'bike riding A and E bonesetter might say.

Far more cost effective to have new cage driver C.B.T. testing made compulsory then at least you might, just might, stop these fucking S.M.I.D.S.Y. accidents. With bikers being deemed guilty of all manner of shyte to cause such accidents when in the main it is the fucking cager who has not been paying attention.

When I was nowt but a bairn and t boned a dry stone wall on the N.Y. Moors on me Gold Star, I got up and walked away............sore mind, but I walked away. But, I was younger then and bounced better................
The accident in 1997 which almost had me driving on heaven's two lane black top was a hit from behind SMIDSY. I was off the road for 7 fucking years and left disabled.

Make cagers more aware of two wheelers and then see the accident figures drop.......................but the government won't do that because that is logical.........................Pass a law and make it compulsory even if that law is unenforcable is what they excel at, the car phone law is one example.

And no, it was'nt brief but D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.????????

Mind how you go now.......................

EverReady