100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 29-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckle View Post
We didn't all wear them in '69...

No, cos we ain't all as old as you
Old 31-10-2008, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Terrorist View Post
No, cos we ain't all as old as you
I am. The real point in opposing the helmet law is that they DON'T save lives. The British Standard for helmets make them so heavy that severe neck injury can occur and death is a distinct possibility. The death toll after the helmet law remained pretty much the same, the biggest factor in reducing deaths was the introduction of compulsory training. When the helmet law came in you could buy American Bell helmets, but they could not reach BS standard and were eventually banned. They were too light, but offered the same level of protection. I read somewhere of a designer who had created a semi-fluid filled skin covering to helmets which tore and slid under torque, thus reducing the pressure on the neck and upper spine when impacted the road or hard surfaces. This acts pretty much the same way as the human scalp, which tears under certain impact forces. Have never seen them for sale though.....
Old 01-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Chat Slapper

This comment is absolutely priceless, can only assume it's his missus, or someone with a great sense of humour

Driving your Motorbike with no crash helmet??????????

Part of me wants to say do it so I can have the house all to myself. But then again cats aren't allowed in supermarkets and I cannot be bothered to catch my own food so I would die of hunger.

James this is a really prattish thing to do. Please don't do it.

Get Jeremy to do it. He is an arse and I don't need him in order to live.

Fusker May
on October 10, 2008
at 11:42 AM
Report this comment

Personally, I love riding without my lid on, haven't had chance to for ages though. A nice little blatt around some country lanes to blow the cobwebs away always makes me feel more alive!

Last edited by chickenfoot; 01-11-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Chat Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
Personally I think the helmet issue is a dead duck and there is no way the government will ever change it
I would like to see MAG spending its time looking at events being cancelled that spend 1 second more on the helmet bill
Hmmm helmet law not being repealed... possibly not.... MAG spending time looking at event closures... evidently not a member then are we. The reason MAG has not been more vocal in the media in it's support of the two events in Wales is to ensure that the legal fight is not impacted in anyway.

Any other event linked to MAG or who's organisers have asked for MAG's help have gone ahead. So stop the sniping and take out membership to be better informed of what is actually happening not what you personally assume to be happening...and getting back to the thread MAG have not actively campaigned on the Helmet Law for over a decade!
Old 02-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfoot View Post
Get Jeremy to do it. He is an arse and I don't need him in order to live.
He's too busy crashing lorries through brick walls (see Top Gear tonight) and getting hurt in the process

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7704928.stm

Firedance Roadshow - www.firedance.biz
Old 02-11-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Hmmm helmet law not being repealed... possibly not.... MAG spending time looking at event closures... evidently not a member then are we. The reason MAG has not been more vocal in the media in it's support of the two events in Wales is to ensure that the legal fight is not impacted in anyway.

Any other event linked to MAG or who's organisers have asked for MAG's help have gone ahead. So stop the sniping and take out membership to be better informed of what is actually happening not what you personally assume to be happening...and getting back to the thread MAG have not actively campaigned on the Helmet Law for over a decade!
How can supporting people affect a court case?
It was Mutch who sent the piece to Nick sorry remind me again which organisation does Mutch work for?
FYI info was a member for a fair few years was also area rep, spenty loads of my own time and money helping out MAG, then I gave it up.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Chat Slapper

Remember folks... the spinal cord has the same consistency as toothpaste. Therefore, if your lid's too heavy and your head goes too far over, you're still fucked.

A lot of the racing lids out at the moment are too heavy to prevent serious injury, even if the rest of the body is unharmed.

Simon B isn't the only one... there are a few folk out there who have repped for MAG (some no longer on this forum I notice ) that spent shitloads of their own time and money supporting the organisation. The time is something you never get back.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

Talking Helmets

last time I came off me bike was 1970, and the helmet a Centurian X did not contact the ground, but as they were very light it was possible to keep my head up.
But they do keep my head warm in cold weather and keep my hair dry when it rains.

What we really need is a helmet safety standard that covers the important things like weight, field of view and noise. I like me Caberg coz it's got a sun visor which is very useful.
These things can keep you alive and well. Impact tests are like locking the stable door after the nag has buggered off. It is better to protect a head by not bouncing it off the side of a car, than to try and find a safe way of bashing you head on hard things. No matter how well made the helmet is that's never a good idea!
Old 04-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

The helmet law is for idiots who really think they will never fall off a motorbike, falling off is something we all do at some time in our lives, it is part of the whole motorbike thing, remove the law and I will still wear a lid most of the time, but I do object to being ordered to wear one or pay the government to spend more money at Iceland...John
Old 04-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
last time I came off me bike was 1970, and the helmet a Centurian X did not contact the ground, but as they were very light it was possible to keep my head up.
But they do keep my head warm in cold weather and keep my hair dry when it rains.
those Centurion lids were the best ever. They didn't make your head too big and they were comfy. One of them did save my life in a way, I must admit, but at the same time, my shoulder took the brunt of the damage.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:31 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

There's a old centurion lid nocking around our gaff somewhere, I wouldn't use it, I like my full face carberg, mainly cos of it's sun visor thingy, priceless. far better to be able to see and avoid an accident then bounce when dumping it. I've come off once or twice, never even scratched a lid, slid on me arese every time, but its all down to luck when / how you fall. A lid is probably indispensible not so much when you bins it as when some fecker knocks you orf.