100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 11-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Chat Virgin

Default Driving me mad!

Hi Guys,

I am new to the trike world and I'm having a real struggle getting my head around the licence laws. Can anyone give me a straight forward answer?

The more I try to read about the legal side of things, the worse it gets - it's driving me mad now! Every site I read says "provisional this, disabled that, over 410kg, over 550kg, under 3500kg, solo seat, passengers, group B, group B1, tricycle, quadracycle, etc etc". I even emailed the DVLA and they couldn't (or wouldn't) give me a straight answer.

My situation is as follows:
I have a full car licence (groups B, BE, C1, D1) which was issued in 1985.
I don't have a bike licence.
I am not disabled.
I want to ride a trike.

My question is: Can I ride one?
Does it matter how much the trike weighs?
Does it matter if it is bike or car engined?
Does it matter if it has a reverse gear or not?
Does it matter how many seats it has?
Do I have to have 'L' plates?

(sorry - thats more than 1 question)

I would really appreciate some help from someone who knows, and can give me a clear and simple answer. I am sure there must be others like me who are confused over this issue. (or am I just stupid?)
Old 11-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Banned

You can ride any trike any size any number of seats with or without reverse gear without L's, and carrying as many passengers as there is seats ........ Simple really.

It was more complicated but not anymore. Car licence means any Trike.

More complicated if you only have a Motorcycle Licence.

Last edited by shaggy696969; 11-10-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Chat Virgin

Thanks for that Shaggy. It's the best news I've have for ages! Why cant the DVLA just say it that simply.

Now I can fullfill my midlife crisis with ease!

Just by way of a wacky idea - does a trike have to be in a triangular formation? Would 3 wheels inline be acceptable? (easier for leaning in corners!)
Or how about a motorbike with a spare wheel? It would have 3 wheels - just not all on the road at the same time.

Please don't take these ideas seriously - it's just my warped mind working overtime! Always looking for a new angle. I'm just wondering how the law defines a trike.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Banned

Just by way of a wacky idea - does a trike have to be in a triangular formation? Would 3 wheels inline be acceptable? (easier for leaning in corners!)

NO Trike is defined 1 front wheel 2 rear with the front on the viehicular central Axis point.

Or how about a motorbike with a spare wheel? It would have 3 wheels - just not all on the road at the same time.

See above

Please don't take these ideas seriously - it's just my warped mind working overtime! Always looking for a new angle. I'm just wondering how the law defines a trike.

See above A few Frikes about thats front 2 wheels car style and one rear but they are awkward to build and get right. There been some right ugly b'stards done too.

The DVLA try'd to simplify the rules as coppers never had a clue, they're not much brighter now but it does all fall under 1 rule for the majority, they're are exceptions but that is what confuzes the poor sods down at the DVLA.