100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 04-10-2008, 03:19 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Terrorist View Post
Well I'm glad at least the Mail has made some kind of apology, I did in fact send them this e-mail, I'm sure I wasn't the only one. Reading it back, i think I could have sent a better one, But as usual I just dived in

Bikers descend on court in show of solidarity as six Hell's Angels go on trial for M40 murder
By Andy Dolan

I always thought the Mail was one of the papers that wasn't into the sensationalism journalism like other papers, but clearly I am wrong after reading this article. A hundred hells angels did not decend on court yesterday, they were members of the Outlaw MC. Just because they are bikers does not make them Hells Angels. The HAMC is a motorcycle club, not a general term for all bikers. It is always used in the media to get peoples attention,for example instead of pub fight, it's a hells angels war. This shows a very poor level of journalism, and if you can't take the time to write truthful articles without misleading the public then you really shouldn't bother. This article is not only a insult to the Hells Angels Motorcycle Club, it is an insult to the friends and family of Gerry Tobin.
Mine was along the same lines,not as polite though
Old 04-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue38 View Post
Mine was along the same lines,not as polite though
Well my first attempt was quite rude, but by doing that, your just enforcing their beliefs that we are a bunch of rude criminal scum bags!!
Old 04-10-2008, 04:17 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Well my first attempt was quite rude, but by doing that, your just enforcing their beliefs that we are a bunch of rude criminal scum bags!!
What,you trying to say i'm not?? Only joking and it wasn't profane,just rude,lol
Old 04-10-2008, 10:54 PM

The use of terms such as 'Hell's Angel' to describe any outlaw, back patch or misbehaving biker is just journalistic shorthand, which is not to say it is right. When the HA is mentioned it conjures up a stereotypical type of biker in Joe Public's mind. I am glad you put the twats right. I have been running my own crusade for ages against papers describing 'Bike Thieves' as Bikers.

The same sort of verbal shorthand gets us saying Biro for ballpoint pen and Hoover for a vacuum cleaner. Biro have tried to stop it but it is too ingrained in the public psyche to erase.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Banned

Your right there SE. It just goes to show who rule el supremo !!!!

However in this instance it is a dangerous thing to use 'Hells Angel' as a blanket term and to put the 'other' scumbags in the same category is unthinkable.

I checked out 'their' web site and on the guest book they have added in red letter, 'please do not write anything derogatory'. twats.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Well written UT.

I made the first and by the looks of it the only comment on the feature below the story where you can enter a comment.

Needless to say it did not appear and then the choice to comment was withdrawn.

At least they have learnt something from it. We HOPE!

Regards Knuckle 'ed

Harley-Davidson Rider
Old 05-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Indeed. I had to go away and do something else for several hours before I penned my objections to the article. Its possible to be scathing and polite at the same time and its also much more frustrating for the recipients as they cant simply dismiss you as a whinging thug.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
The use of terms such as 'Hell's Angel' to describe any outlaw, back patch or misbehaving biker is just journalistic shorthand, which is not to say it is right. When the HA is mentioned it conjures up a stereotypical type of biker in Joe Public's mind. I am glad you put the twats right. I have been running my own crusade for ages against papers describing 'Bike Thieves' as Bikers.

The same sort of verbal shorthand gets us saying Biro for ballpoint pen and Hoover for a vacuum cleaner. Biro have tried to stop it but it is too ingrained in the public psyche to erase.
Indeed. Hilariously (or maybe not) some members of the non biking public assume all bikers are HA, probably because they dont know what the HA is. Classic example, I've been asked if Im HA, last I looked there were no girls in the HA.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckle View Post
Well written UT.

I made the first and by the looks of it the only comment on the feature below the story where you can enter a comment.

Needless to say it did not appear and then the choice to comment was withdrawn.

At least they have learnt something from it. We HOPE!
Hmmm, I guess the comments wernt all that positive then.

I emailed the writer, editors directly as well as printing the emails out and posting them, including to the owners, to be signed for.

I am expecting a reply! (But not holding breath).
Old 06-10-2008, 05:46 AM
Jedi Chat Master

I also chose to use the 'add a comment' link at the foot of the page, but in common with most cases where the author/editor/monkey-with-a-biro has been a total plank they dont acknowledge their innaccuracies.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufkamp View Post
I also chose to use the 'add a comment' link at the foot of the page, but in common with most cases where the author/editor/monkey-with-a-biro has been a total plank they dont acknowledge their innaccuracies.
Probably because they would need to pay a whole team of people to sort through their daily innaccuracies. The only difference between a newspaper and a comic is the latter isnt trying to pretend to be factual.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Banned

I'm liking what I'm hearing from the prosecution on their opening gambit.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:53 AM

Nothing the prosecution has said has come as a great surprise to me really.

What saddened me more, was the sight of poor Rebecca, who seems to have aged so much this past year or so, but can still hold herself with dignity. The pain she feels is etched across her face. Not only have the guilty taken away Gerry's life, but it seems they have also destroyed hers and have left her with scars that will never heal............ My thoughts, deepest sympathy and greatest respect goes to Becky, whom I have never even met. To keep your anger in check when sitting across the room from those who have taken so much way from you, must be equally as hard for her, as for Gerry's bro's.
I am sure Gerry is there with them all, and from his spirit they will all get some strength.

One thought keep returning to me, and that is....''what goes around...........''

www.facebook.com/siobhanathon

Leah Wilby 10.07.95 - 13.06.11
Beautiful, funny, clever and kind. Missed so very, very much.
www.facebook.com/siobhanathon
Old 07-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juke View Post

One thought keep returning to me, and that is....''what goes around...........''
Lets hope so.

I never had the chance to meet Gerry or his family but judging by what I've heard from those who have, not to mention the photographs I've seen of Gerry smiling brightly, this is my loss.

I very much hope justice is served and the family are able to begin to rebuild their lives after this trial.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Been out, but rather stay in!

the cctv evidence appears very damming, Tv running a small section on the trail every evening news every day here 'cos its Central TV.
fren