100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 12-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Nik
Default Interesting ....

MAG press release yesterday:

'10-09-2008 MAG Campaigns Manager to lead new government fraud-busting initiative.

MAG Campaigns Manager, David Short, is moving on to lead a team of ‘Scambusters’. David, a Chief Superintendent with the North Yorkshire Police before joining MAG, is to be part of a new Government initiative tackling the worst offending rogue traders across the country. David will be coordinating law enforcement activity across the Yorkshire and Humberside region to deal with rogue traders operating across police force and county boundaries.

David Short says, “I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at MAG representing motorcycle interests at all levels; from one to one meetings with government ministers, working in Parliament and many other forums. I have also enjoyed helping to develop the MAG brand and business practices, which I know place the organisation in good shape to tackle the issues affecting motorcycling. I leave MAG as an employee with fond memories but remain a MAG member and I will contribute where I can in a voluntary capacity. After all, the strength of MAG is in the commitment by the volunteer army that makes up its membership.

Jane Chisholm, MAG’s chair said, “David has enhanced the credibility of MAG dramatically during his time of full time employment with us and we are grateful to him for his offer to operate as a consultant on a voluntary basis. We wish him all the very best in his future job.”

Nich Brown (recently appointed as General Secretary of MAG) will take-over from David in the interim. The ex-head of research at MCIA brings extensive experience of motorcycle campaigning and has advised industry and government bodies on motorcycling at local, national and international levels. An honorary Fellow of the Institute of Highways Incorporated Engineers for his work in motorcycling, Nich has been involved in many successful campaigns, being instrumental in uncovering official over-estimates of motorcycle tax evasion and gaining motorcycle access to bus lanes.'

Hmm, I think there are a lot of people out there going to be saying, 'I told you so ...'
Old 12-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

I assume they mean rogue bike shops and stuff, but there's no actual mention of anything motorcycle-specific is there?
Old 12-09-2008, 04:20 PM

11-09-2008 New test disaster averted - motorcycle lobby wins U-turn

Following two years of hard campaigning, the Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) has welcomed the official announcement of an eleventh-hour delay to the introduction of an extended practical test for new motorcycle riders.

Several large regions would have been left without any test facilities. Riders in many parts of the country faced journeys of several hours to reach a test centre.

Three out of four Driving Standards Agency (DSA) test centres are due to be sold-off to fund a small number of new "Multi-Purpose Test Centres" (MPTCs) capable of hosting the new test.

The regulations were due to be imposed at the end of September, but with less than half the test centres completed the new implementation date will now be Monday, March 30, 2009.

The move comes after the DSA came under pressure from motorcycle riders’ organisation MAG, working alongside organisations representing the rider training industry (MRTA), motorcycle industry (MCIA) and others.

MAG Campaigns Manager, David Short, said "This is a long-overdue victory for common sense and shows the combined voice of all the motorcycle interest groups can bring about real change in official policy."

Paying tribute to all of the motorcycle organisations who have been working to reverse the cull of motorcycle test centres, Mr Short said:

"In all of my meetings with DSA officials, ministers and Parliamentarians on this subject I have been struck by the willingness of people to work together. However, we have reached a point where the DSA finally had to agree with us that they could not hope to meet national demand for motorcycle tests with just 40 test centres operating on the first day of the new test".

DSA claim the six-month delay will allow them to find suitable sites in other parts of the country. But with many of its existing test-centres already closed, and many others due to be sold-off, the moratorium may prove embarrassingly inadequate as only a handful of extra sites are due for completion. Finding suitable sites and gaining planning-permission for the super-size test-centres has proven impossible in many parts of the country.

David Short said "I am hopeful that the delay will allow further progress to be made on the development of the ‘casual site’ on the Isle of Wight, which MAG has been campaigning to retain. If this is achieved we will have a model which could be applied throughout the UK".

MAG has consistently argued that the proposed total of 66 test-centres, a cut of three-out-of-four, will mean riders have to travel unacceptably long distances. Many training businesses face financial ruin and some have already closed as a result of riders opting for residential courses away from home as their only option.

The extended test is required by an EU Directive on rider training, but Britain appears to have given the rules a unique interpretation. MAG is supporting calls for a public inquiry into the handling of the new test arrangements and the strategy of building a small number of Multi Purpose Test Centres.

I find this interesting too....
Old 12-09-2008, 04:26 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Send a message via MSN to odie

if its rogues they are after, there is one in wakefield that altered a mates trike and f-cked it right up.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

Very interesting indeed, Nik.

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 12-09-2008, 06:41 PM

personally i am fucking glad the two faced tosser has fucked off..

Now maybe we can get someone that will actually do something about recent events instead of ringing up his old mates for a cosy fucking chat...
Old 12-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Complete and utter git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
personally i am fucking glad the two faced tosser has fucked off..

Now maybe we can get someone that will actually do something about recent events instead of ringing up his old mates for a cosy fucking chat...

i'll second that
Old 13-09-2008, 01:05 PM

ill not miss the tool. perhaps mag will now stop consorting with the enemy.......