100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Trike Magazine

Notices

Old 03-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Chatter Box

The forks that were in were out of a xs650 (i think) and the zxr 750 forks have been lengthened by about four inches to compensate and level the bike up so it wasn't front end heavy so hopefully a set of bars and new head bearings will sort it out (have ordered a set of beachbars (wide as fook) to see what happens)
Cheers for all the help its appreciated
Old 03-06-2008, 09:37 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

if its still heavy with the wider bars, try a set of risers that pull the bars back, or a set of yokes more triangular to move the forks further forward from the spindle.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Chatter Box

The yokes will be a last resort coz they cost a bleeding fortune, hopefully the wide bars will sort it
Old 02-07-2008, 12:55 AM
Chat Virgin

Talking Bought a Kawazaki Z1300 today - first trike - several questions.

Hi Guys and Gals. We (more accurately, my partner Sara) bought a Z1300 Trike today - amazing machine! Just got it back to Dunstable from Stoke on Trent after a great ride down the A50 and M1. Several questions if anyone can help?

It has an Astrodon remote (supposedly auto start, immobilser etc.) - Can't find their website (looks like it's defunct), so can anyone tell us how to use it, (or does anyone have a manual for it)?

It has been modified, with a Harley tank added (amongst other things). The front wheel is not a Harley. Is their a conversion kit to get the Harley speedo working on the existing front wheel, or do we need to buy a Harley wheel? (and also how does it work - are there any workarounds)? Also can we fit a petrol gauge to the Harley tank, or do we need a new tank?

Anyone know of a chromed checkerplate supplier? (or rather I mean a checkerplate supplier and a chromer - no point in buyin chromed checkerplate then trying to bend is, is there - sorry it's been a long day and a long ride!) - we'd like to add some footrests etc.

Nice to meet you all - look forward to replies, and maybe meeting some of you (Ace Cafe perhaps).

Cheers

Chris (and Sara)

Last edited by chrisw000; 02-07-2008 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Stupidity the first time!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:13 AM

Default re the crapness of brakes

how do,

seems the front end/bar scenario has been done but no one mentioned those luverly discs for back end.

try this for size

http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/T...brake/disc.htm

makes front brake into ornament /for mot only

Enjoy the torque on your Z!!!!

drew
Old 02-07-2008, 09:36 AM

On reading this thread one thing caught me attention a bit, I think someone was talking about fitting car rims with bike tyres, Apparently this is dangerous because the actual sizes ar not truly interchangeable, car ones are slightly larger? could be other way round, any how several sources have said that using car tyres on bike rims or visa versa can case the tyres to blow out either when fitting or at speed, It's something to do with the seating of the tyre and tyre beading being different shapes on cars and bikes due to the different forces involved I belive. Folks who told me this know their onions, one of the guys is an expert witness (in courts) on sidecar safety in the states so I'd not ignore his advice. Proceed with caution and measure everything really carefully including the correct rim and the one intended for use.
As to chequerplate suppliers, just find your local steel supplier and ask. Not a clue as to harley stuff or chromers, try your local agrcultural suppliers
Sounds like a really cool trike, enjoy it
Old 02-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Chatter Box

Re the above - fork length and wheel diameter - fitting shorter forks will drop the front end reducing trail and resulting in lighter not heavier steering; fitting a smaller front wheel will again reduce trail by both lowering the front end and putting the spindle closer to the ground.
Car tyres have a smaller diameter than the 'equivalent' bike tyre. I tried to get a 15" car tyre onto a 15" Goldwing wheel and no way would it ever fit, the rim is much too big. But, I have seen outfits with low profile car tyres on bike wheels so maybe the difference is less on 17/18" tyres?
Old 02-07-2008, 02:27 PM

they can be fitted in an interesting variety of ways, you can for instance adapt a 2cv rim for spokes and lace it to a standard hub. Or as long as there is enough 'spare' metal on a alloy rim have the rim re shaped on a fugging great lathe to match the profile characteristics you want though this probably often isn't practical. It is very likely to be expensive. Apparently someone in the USA was killed when attempting to put a car tyre on a bike, got it on ok but when trying to seat the bead the thing exploded off the rim somehow. Not sure who when etc but did heed the warning. outfits with low profile car tyres are probably the subjects of some very nifty engineering. Oh yeah, you can also just swap the whole assembly round a bit eg want car tyre on bike, use car hub and wheel. want bike tyres on trike, adapt bike wheel to car hub etc.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Chat Virgin

Default re: New Kawasaki Z1300 Trike

We discovered today that the tank and speedo are Yamaha, and the speedo has a small white plastic connector (not connected).

Does anyone know how this speedo works (i.e. what is needed on the front wheel to make it work)? It's got no mechanical input for a conventional speedo cable. Don't know what machine the tank came from. The rest of the lights on the speedo (neutral, ignition etc.) seem to work.

We also think (after speaking to a Harley dealership guy who has owned a few trikes) that we need a new wider front wheel, as it's only 4-5 inches wide at the moment (compared to very wide rear wheels), and the bike judders on corners. This may also be because the previous owner lengthened the front forks, so the geometry is probably way out. Any ideas how to find wheels of the right size?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chris and Sara

Last edited by chrisw000; 02-07-2008 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Spooling mistooks
Old 02-07-2008, 07:55 PM

Any pics might help identify speedo, what front tyres, forks etc has it got? Before spending out on stuff check tyre pressures and experiment with them a bit.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Chatter Box

It was me who started the thread and was attempting to fit the bike tyres to the car wheels and i can confirm what has been said
YOU CANNOT FIT BIKE TYRES TO CAR RIMS i now have a very expensive coffee table made from two 300/40/17 tyres and a skim board , the tyres split the bead and ripped the sidewall to bits when the guys tried to fit them (wonder if taylormade wheels have specially made rims??)

Also the handlebar horrible handling has not been sorted as i tried the trike up the road and discovered you could power slide it unfortunately discovered that the camchain tensioner was fucked when i backed off and managed to bend all the valves so the trike is in the corner off the unit until i find another head or save up for all the bits (135 for a gasket set 30 each for the valves )
Old 03-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Been out, but rather stay in!

welcome to the wonderful world of triking mate

just when you think you have fixed one problem, you get two or three more just to make matters worse...

is the head dead or just the valves bent? you can sometimes straighten valves if they are not too bad (may save you a few )
Old 03-07-2008, 09:16 AM

I'm inerested in the idea of streightening valves, if a little dubious How many people have done it? ad of those how many got good milage from an engine afterwards? Valves do after all work bloody hard and take a hammering, and I've found, make a real mess if they 'drop' in an engine but I've never tried streightenig the buggers, mine dropped due to a clogged oilway
Old 03-07-2008, 09:20 AM

Dubmeister, have you considered plating in a cheaper engine until you have the wonga to sort the head of the z1300, a jap 4 should be available and easy to fit.....................
Old 03-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

mate of mine just straightened valves on a dohc mondeo after it 'lost' the timing belt, car is up and running fine once again, this is not the 1st time he has done this job, i can pm you his number if you want the finer details..

though i think the finer details involve a rather large hammer
Old 03-07-2008, 12:10 PM

Hmm, if I'm in need of the head sat in my spares pile with bent valves I might get in touch, but I'd have to be quite hard up not to want new valves, which I am come to think of it............, glad the head is not currently needed
Old 03-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8_trike View Post
welcome to the wonderful world of triking mate

just when you think you have fixed one problem, you get two or three more just to make matters worse...

is the head dead or just the valves bent? you can sometimes straighten valves if they are not too bad (may save you a few )
Haven't got the head off yet as i have been working mad hours but a compression test shows no compression on any cylinders but may have got away with just exhaust valves

Not too keen on the straightening valves idea especially if they are standard, might have tried if they were stainless or titanium coz i have had some of them done on a couple of my old drag race motors