100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Trike Magazine

Notices

Old 01-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Chat Virgin

Default Flashy light thing

Hi all, I've been seeing a Trike Hazard gizmo for sale on E-bay and other places. The blurb says that they are required for an MOT, is this right? do I have to go and put one on before I can take my being rebuilt VW for it test.

On the subject of MOT, handbrakes, any one know if they have to activate both rear wheels? at the moment the VW handbrake only connects up to the port side (Always has ) never had a problem with the MOT before but the trikes been off the road for about 6 years and I don't know if the laws changed.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Chat Virgin

Hi in response to your?? The handbrake , as far as i have been told has to work/operate on both rear wheels, that said it depends on how strict the tester is? As for the four way flasher/Hazard warning lights are concerned i think it depends on the age of your machine, but even so they are not that hard to wire up with the correct flasher unit, they are obtainable from most breakers yards and no need to spend a fortune on something that i have only ever used for the mot.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Handbrake is ok on any wheel (singular)
Old 01-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Banned

Hazards are now required to be fitted to all trikes, even retrospectively prior to original date of introduction, and must be operational independant of ignition and switched from the riding position With a tell tell .
Old 01-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy696969
Hazards are now required to be fitted to all trikes, even retrospectively prior to original date of introduction, and must be operational independant of ignition and switched from the riding position With a tell tell .

Hazards as shaggy said and as far as I found out about handbrake , it can be on either axle front or rear but if on rear must work on both rear wheels , my trike only had it on 1 rear wheel and was fine for the MOT but I guess depends on the tester
Old 01-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Send a message via AIM to Mental Dave

when I bought my trike it was only half built and I had the same problem with handbrake, a friend suggested the front brake lever from a Honda melody, they have a locking device for the lever so I picked one up from the breakers cost about 5 quid and it sailed through MOT, mind you that was many years ago dunno if you could still use that, might be worth looking at
Old 01-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental Dave
when I bought my trike it was only half built and I had the same problem with handbrake, a friend suggested the front brake lever from a Honda melody, they have a locking device for the lever so I picked one up from the breakers cost about 5 quid and it sailed through MOT, mind you that was many years ago dunno if you could still use that, might be worth looking at

Oh yeah , good plan , I remember them locking brake levers , were they to stop it taking off down the road when it started . Given me a cunning plan . Cheers
Old 01-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Chat Virgin

I should have put that, the trike registered was registered as a Volkswagen Trike and the registration date is 6/11/1972 so I guess the handbrake will be fine, the hazard flashy thing is just another thing to wire in *shrug*

*edit*

Sorry meant to say the hazard thing isn't something I need to wire in (damn 12 year olds and their questions when you're trying to post )

Last edited by 66606; 01-04-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Send a message via AIM to Mental Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybiker
Again, well covered on here. Handbrakes MUST be mechanically operated. A lever lock on a cable brake will pass, a lever lock on a hydraulic brake will fail.
didn't realize that, mine had a drum brake