100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 14-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Nik Nik is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Saarfuk
Posts: 6,072
Send a message via MSN to Nik
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie
The idea is this time (and this is weather dependent) that I run it as low as possible, then we're going to drain the tank and get rid of the sh1te out of it cos it had a paddy last time i ran it on reserve too.

I didnt know if putting it on prime would help, it didnt seem to make any difference
You could also drain the tank and add a bottle of Por 15 from Frost Automotive (www.frost.co.uk) which is a very good tank sealer (usually use it to do custom tanks when they've been welded up) and will seal any ****e that's in there in its chemically embrace and stop it from going into your tap/carbs too.


Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 14-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Kylie's Avatar
Kylie Kylie is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Morley (50 yrs behind the times)
Posts: 7,425
Send a message via MSN to Kylie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik
You could also drain the tank and add a bottle of Por 15 from Frost Automotive (www.frost.co.uk) which is a very good tank sealer (usually use it to do custom tanks when they've been welded up) and will seal any ****e that's in there in its chemically embrace and stop it from going into your tap/carbs too.


I shall await Uncle Grav's comment - he is the boss, I do as he says!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 14-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Nik Nik is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Saarfuk
Posts: 6,072
Send a message via MSN to Nik
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie
I shall await Uncle Grav's comment - he is the boss, I do as he says!
...................
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 14-03-2008, 11:37 AM
bird's Avatar
bird bird is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: zummerzet
Posts: 1,517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie
putting it on prime would help, it didnt seem to make any difference

It should have made a difference - most modern bikes have vacuum taps on them and only let fuel through the tap when the engine is running - when you put it on prime it lets the fuel flow all the way through without that rigmarole.
Maybe there's summat up with your fuel tap.

i found out all about vacuum taps when i had a VF400 that used to cut out, but only at high speed on motorways, cos there was a pinhole in the vacuum pipe from the carb inlet. The faster I went, the faster the air rushed through the hole, and then I got fuel starvation.
Took me ages to work it out.
Scares the **** out of you when the engine just dies and won't restart at 90 in the fast lane...
__________________
They say you should live each day as if it were your last.
So I'm going to spend today lying in bed slipping in and out of conciousness...

http://atmviheo.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 14-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Kylie's Avatar
Kylie Kylie is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Morley (50 yrs behind the times)
Posts: 7,425
Send a message via MSN to Kylie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird
It should have made a difference - most modern bikes have vacuum taps on them and only let fuel through the tap when the engine is running - when you put it on prime it lets the fuel flow all the way through without that rigmarole.
Maybe there's summat up with your fuel tap.

i found out all about vacuum taps when i had a VF400 that used to cut out, but only at high speed on motorways, cos there was a pinhole in the vacuum pipe from the carb inlet. The faster I went, the faster the air rushed through the hole, and then I got fuel starvation.
Took me ages to work it out.
Scares the **** out of you when the engine just dies and won't restart at 90 in the fast lane...
I am glad mine doesnt do that!!!! It only stalled cos it had run out of fuel, and i had been expecting it for the previous 10 miles, but was also expecting a little more warning!

It could be that i need a new fuel filter or something - i've never changed it, which means its probably never been changed.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 14-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Grav's Avatar
Grav Grav is offline
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: in a house and a tent at weekends
Posts: 19,061
Default

When do you want me there? Tomorrow or Sunday, if it aint raining of course.
__________________
Dark Lord Of Custard

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 14-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Kylie's Avatar
Kylie Kylie is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Morley (50 yrs behind the times)
Posts: 7,425
Send a message via MSN to Kylie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav
When do you want me there? Tomorrow or Sunday, if it aint raining of course.
Sunday - going to see Uncle Conrad tomorrow and then going to watch the rugby

What times it likely to be if its sunday? (just so i get up and come back in time!)
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 14-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Nik Nik is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Saarfuk
Posts: 6,072
Send a message via MSN to Nik
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav
When do you want me there? Tomorrow or Sunday, if it aint raining of course.
S'posed to be lashing it down Sunday, mate. Was going to go on the BSE MAG Easter Egg Run, but they're forecasting big rain.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 14-03-2008, 06:02 PM
lowrider's Avatar
lowrider lowrider is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik
S'posed to be lashing it down Sunday, mate. Was going to go on the BSE MAG Easter Egg Run, but they're forecasting big rain.
Come to Northumberland next week for our Easter Egg Run

Its the biggest in the area
__________________
The Psychic Biker
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 14-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Bosun's Avatar
Bosun Bosun is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: surrey but wanna be in devon
Posts: 22,404
Default

fuel taps how quaint

fayji , a roadking runs dry at 220miles and is heavy to push

reminder dont ignore the light
__________________
Warning: Dates in your calendar are closer than they appear!

Bosunsbikes.com
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 14-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Dougie's Avatar
Dougie Dougie is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In the canyons of my mind.....
Posts: 19,609
Default

And if yer light goes pop.......?
__________________
We will remember them.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 14-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Bosun's Avatar
Bosun Bosun is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: surrey but wanna be in devon
Posts: 22,404
Default

i use trip meter/bladder range now
__________________
Warning: Dates in your calendar are closer than they appear!

Bosunsbikes.com
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 15-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Nik Nik is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Saarfuk
Posts: 6,072
Send a message via MSN to Nik
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider
Come to Northumberland next week for our Easter Egg Run

Its the biggest in the area
Sorry bloke, at the Reading one Friday, the MK one Sat and Red Marley Monday (Sunday's a day off).

Next time?
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 15-03-2008, 07:24 PM
John Hopkins's Avatar
John Hopkins John Hopkins is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tredegar, South Wales
Posts: 16,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird
Scares you when the engine just dies and won't restart at 70 in the fast lane...
You pushed the wrong number key by mistake didn't you... John
__________________
Beauty is skin deep; ugly goes right to the bone
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.