100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 25-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Exclamation Breaking Down On Motorways...

...won't be a good idea any more.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/epolitix/20...s-0a1c1a1.html

http://cars.uk.msn.com/news/car_news...mentid=6492258

Looks like the 'hard shoulder running' trial on the M42 has been a 'success' and henceforth is going on to other motorways.

i.e. if you break down on a motorway with such a scheme in operation - start running!

Firedance Roadshow - www.firedance.biz
Old 25-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

So let me get this right

I think there will always be a need for road widening where there is a huge and severe congestion problem because in those situations you just need to maximise the number of cars that can drive on a particular stretch of road," said Kelly.

it's a good idea to widen road to prevent congestion...

and its a good idea to introduce speed bumps and road narrowing in town to supply the congestion......

So that we can widen the road to prevent the congestion that we have supplied.........

Has she got shares in a road surfacing firm.... John
Old 25-10-2007, 04:45 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

i use the m42 every day, this is a scheme to reduce motorway speed limits by stealth, the 60mph limit on there is now a permanent 1 ! as for no hard shoulder, time will tell when theres an accident and emergency services cant get there because all the lanes are full of bloody cagers !
Old 25-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Banned

what happens if you break down then. Its scarey enough now if you break down and your on the hard shoulder. and where will the cops pull people over, they use the hard shoulder at the moment. so does this mean they cant pull you naymore?

also heard on news they are thinking of reducing the speed limit on all motorways to cut down on congestion
Old 25-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Chatter Box

[sarcasm]
That would be nasty. Especially since I pay so much attention to the speed limits. [/sarcasm]
Old 25-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobyscoot
[sarcasm]
That would be nasty. Especially since I pay so much attention to the speed limits. [/sarcasm]

course you do babe - especially when you behind me
Old 25-10-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
[sarcasm]
the m42 limits need be stuck to, as i found out, £60 fine and 3 points, them cameras work
Old 25-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Chatter Box

Yeah, Cos you never break the speed limit do you?

Like to keep a safe distance though, for everyones sake. Nothing worse than someone in ya blind spot.
Old 25-10-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Cos you never break the speed limit do you?

Like to keep a safe distance though, for everyones sake. Nothing worse than someone in ya blind spot.
not on m42 i dont, any more!!!
Old 25-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiffer38
the m42 limits need be stuck to, as i found out, £60 fine and 3 points, them cameras work

last time I went along there everyone was slowing down for cameras then speeding up then slowing down at next one. surely this is gonna be more dangerous. specially on a bike when ya got some dithering idiot in front.

Its the same with cameras in towns - everyone knows where they so slow down then speed up as soon as they past, and some stick their fingers up to the camera just for effect
Old 25-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryB
also heard on news they are thinking of reducing the speed limit on all motorways to cut down on congestion
How the hell will changing the speed limit cut congestion? Would love to know the logic on that one.
Old 25-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty
How the hell will changing the speed limit cut congestion? Would love to know the logic on that one.
They do it now with them different/varied speed limits down to 40mph or 50 or 60, they reckon it stops a bunch of traffic catching up with the ones a few miles ahead that are stuck in a slow moving jam.

What I wanna know is are the speed cameras set to alter from 70ish to what ever they change it to when varied??????

Regards Knuckle 'ed

Harley-Davidson Rider
Old 25-10-2007, 09:33 PM

I can see your point about variable speed limits, but if the whole motorway's got a blanket speed limit (as most have) it doesn't make a difference to congestion whether it's 40, 60, 70 or 190mph.

Once again the road planners appear to have their heads well and truly up their shít-boxes
Old 25-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Banned

there's a simple solution but the government just cant see it. Its easy peasy, would solve many problems in one go and have many beneficial effects.

send all immigrants home. hence, less traffic, more affordable housing, less crime and violence and more prison space for those who do commit crimes.

job done.
Old 25-10-2007, 09:41 PM

The only thing that'll ease congestion is fewer cars - simple
Old 25-10-2007, 09:53 PM

i think personally, we should keep on threatening other countries, because they wont do as there told ! sooner or later well all get blowed up, sorted
Old 25-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

When I passed my motorbike test the black stripe (seventy) limit meant that the road was unrestricted...you could go as fast as you liked...(but you could still get done for reckless driving)... when they put it on motorways it meant 80mph...but it was still unrestricted on country roads...it wasn't until much later that they reduced it to 70mph and then people used to go to france if they wanted to have a decent run...the next step will be to reduce the motorway speed to 60mph and the single cariageway A-roads to 50mph...and the real reason...for the first few months it will catch so many road users out that they will have enough money to fund the next election...This country is going to the Dogz...err sorry dogs..
Old 25-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins
When I passed my motorbike test the black stripe (seventy) limit meant that the road was unrestricted...you could go as fast as you liked...(but you could still get done for reckless driving)... when they put it on motorways it meant 80mph...but it was still unrestricted on country roads...it wasn't until much later that they reduced it to 70mph and then people used to go to france if they wanted to have a decent run...the next step will be to reduce the motorway speed to 60mph and the single cariageway A-roads to 50mph...and the real reason...for the first few months it will catch so many road users out that they will have enough money to fund the next election...This country is going to the Dogz...err sorry dogs..

would be good if it did go to Dogz - he would have much better ideas on what should be - I'll vote for him
Old 26-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Chat Virgin

The simple way to cut congestion in many cases would be to teach/enforce correct usage of the motorway lanes. Keep to the left unless overtaking; how many times have we seen a four lane motorway effectively reduced to two because there's a bunch of cars in the third and fourth lane but nowt in one and two. They can manage to drive properly on the continent, don't see why we can't do it here. That or encourage 'undertaking'...
Old 26-10-2007, 08:38 AM
Chatter Box

agree with the comment that we dont use the m-ways correctly, but it would scare me ****less if the cwc's where allowed to ATTACK me from both sides
Old 26-10-2007, 09:08 AM

Send a message via MSN to Kylie

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckle
They do it now with them different/varied speed limits down to 40mph or 50 or 60, they reckon it stops a bunch of traffic catching up with the ones a few miles ahead that are stuck in a slow moving jam.

What I wanna know is are the speed cameras set to alter from 70ish to what ever they change it to when varied??????
The ones on the M42 i believe are varied with the speed limit yes.... but i might be wrong.

If there are specs cameras up they can be programmed much easier than the gatso's so i would imagine that will be the camera of choice in varied speed limits.

But... the silly speed limit things at the side of the road, unless they're in a big red circle are not enforcable, and are usually about imaginary road works that happened 6 weeks ago.
Old 26-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie
The ones on the M42 i believe are varied with the speed limit yes.... but i might be wrong.
http://www.computerquoteinsurance.co...;news=18284220

The Powers That Be are denying all at present... including that they will be replacing the Gatsos on the West M25 with this system (Hadecs).

Know Thine Enemy: (no, not me )

Info here (scroll down to the bottom of --> THIS PAGE <--- )

Firedance Roadshow - www.firedance.biz