100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 20-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Womble_Lancs's Avatar
Womble_Lancs Womble_Lancs is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Keaw Yed City
Posts: 2,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike
you could get one of these..........

http://www.spservices.co.uk/product_...oducts_id/1250
Yeah, my ex was a guinea-pig on the FBOS course, before it was 'released' to the public and they said that the 'Hats Off' thing was excellent. A paramedic mate of mine also did a demonstration of how to get a lid off safely in an emergency.

I lost a mate back in 1989, thanks to some 'helpful' person taking his lid off and breaking his neck in the process

However, the general rule remains. If they're breathing, leave the lid on and let the professionals deal with it.
__________________
I'd rather be riding my bike.
Womble's Rants
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 20-09-2006, 12:47 PM
Geezer Geezer is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Manchester
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble_Lancs
Yeah, my ex was a guinea-pig on the FBOS course, before it was 'released' to the public and they said that the 'Hats Off' thing was excellent. A paramedic mate of mine also did a demonstration of how to get a lid off safely in an emergency.

I lost a mate back in 1989, thanks to some 'helpful' person taking his lid off and breaking his neck in the process

However, the general rule remains. If they're breathing, leave the lid on and let the professionals deal with it.
OK I want to be a helpfull person, but I dont want to kill anyone (well not strangers anyway). So tell me is the OFFICIAL LINE, If they are breathing leave the helmet ON if they aint take it off (is it worth the risk) oh God what if I cant see him because its dark, or hear him breath because there is lots of background noise, I supose you can go on and on with variouse senarios but just give us The Official Line so we all know.

Geezer

Ride as far as you want, just piss off out of my space.
Remember God love you , I think you'r a ---t.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 20-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Geezer Geezer is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Manchester
Posts: 7
Default

Hey Womble Lancs, what you doin man going out with a Guinea Pig there are loads of nice girly people up hear in the north.

Geezer

Ride as far as you want, just piss off out of my space.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 20-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Kylie's Avatar
Kylie Kylie is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Morley (50 yrs behind the times)
Posts: 7,425
Send a message via MSN to Kylie
Default

Geezer, you should go on one of the first aid courses for bikers, or at least a first aid course.

Yes if the person isnt breathing then the lid is most likely going to have to come off somehow to help them, but if you are not able to give them mouth to mouth, then there's little point. They will also teach you how to give resuscitation while minimising the amount of movement to the neck, no point paralysing someone if you dont have to!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 20-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Womble_Lancs's Avatar
Womble_Lancs Womble_Lancs is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Keaw Yed City
Posts: 2,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer
Hey Womble Lancs, what you doin man going out with a Guinea Pig there are loads of nice girly people up hear in the north.
Sorry Geezer, I'm not into girlies.
__________________
I'd rather be riding my bike.
Womble's Rants
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 20-09-2006, 09:57 PM
johnr johnr is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: preston, lancs
Posts: 3,530
Default hats off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike
you could get one of these..........

http://www.spservices.co.uk/product_...oducts_id/1250
got one, and got trained how to use it too.
__________________
in sidecars, no one can hear you scream!





http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 20-09-2006, 10:00 PM
johnr johnr is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: preston, lancs
Posts: 3,530
Default 1st aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer
OK I want to be a helpfull person, but I dont want to kill anyone (well not strangers anyway). So tell me is the OFFICIAL LINE, If they are breathing leave the helmet ON if they aint take it off (is it worth the risk) oh God what if I cant see him because its dark, or hear him breath because there is lots of background noise, I supose you can go on and on with variouse senarios but just give us The Official Line so we all know.

Geezer

Ride as far as you want, just piss off out of my space.
Remember God love you , I think you'r a ---t.
the best and only advice i can give you is to get some training, and do it NOW its no use standing at the scene of a spill and wishing you had done some 1st aid course. there are times when you should leave the lid on, but as has been said, when your dead, it cant get any worse, and if you arent breathing, then your gonna be dead soon. train, learn and remember, and then hope that you dont have to use the knowlege you have.
__________________
in sidecars, no one can hear you scream!





http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 20-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Louis's Avatar
Louis Louis is offline
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gobbin Land
Posts: 1,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr
got one, and got trained how to use it too.
Same here...was in my Saddlebags going down to faro this year..
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 21-09-2006, 02:49 AM
John Hopkins's Avatar
John Hopkins John Hopkins is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tredegar, South Wales
Posts: 16,062
Default

Sorry to piss on anyone's parade but, if anyone finds me lying on the deck not breathing, leave me the fuck alone. I will not be suffering..and NOTHING is important enough for me to come back for! John
__________________
Beauty is skin deep; ugly goes right to the bone
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 21-09-2006, 05:08 AM
Friar Tuck's Avatar
Friar Tuck Friar Tuck is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brothertoft, Lincolngrad!
Posts: 11,185
Default

Bloody 'ell! Aren't there enough patch clubs already?

So we're gonna have running battles at rallies:-

Blood Group O MCC v. A Rhesus Neg. Riders

Or whatever!
__________________
Does my belly look big in this?
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 21-09-2006, 07:30 PM
muddytyres muddytyres is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4
Default

Sorry john r, Im not a doctor, just thought it was a good idea.
I stand corrected.
Was all the tick tock bit really nessasary ?
Thanks for making a newbie feel really welcome.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 22-09-2006, 09:24 AM
johnr johnr is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: preston, lancs
Posts: 3,530
Default tick tock

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddytyres
Sorry john r, Im not a doctor, just thought it was a good idea.
I stand corrected.
Was all the tick tock bit really nessasary ?
Thanks for making a newbie feel really welcome.
sorry if you didnt like it! but the truth is, that in incidents like that the clock is ticking, and its too late to start thinking "wow i wish i had got some first aid training" you might not have liked it, but bike crashes arent particularly pleasant subjects for anyone concerned in them. and im not a doctor either!
__________________
in sidecars, no one can hear you scream!





http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 23-09-2006, 07:22 PM
PILRCGeff PILRCGeff is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wherever they send me
Posts: 2,175
Default

back to the original topic, Absolutely pointless patch. The hospital will always check for your real blood group.

My Army ID card shows my blood type but I've had three different "official" blood types since I joined up!

Lots of soldiers have their blood group tattooed on their arms but got the information from the same source I got my three different versions from.
__________________
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life” Cecil Rhodes
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 25-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Spike's Avatar
Spike Spike is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bolton
Posts: 7,711
Default

Was talking to two paramadic's the weekend, and im sorry to say, they ignore patches etc with blood groups etc

Its a great idea but...............
__________________
NIL MORTIFI, SINE LVCRE

My Blog

Fuck it, BURN THEM ALL !!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 25-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Borg's Avatar
Borg Borg is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The Independent State Of West Wales
Posts: 4,521
Send a message via MSN to Borg
Default

I said that 3 pages ago
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 25-09-2006, 02:31 PM
slob's Avatar
slob slob is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: larndener in Norf west
Posts: 5,960
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddytyres
Sorry john r, Im not a doctor, just thought it was a good idea.
I stand corrected.
Was all the tick tock bit really nessasary ?
Thanks for making a newbie feel really welcome.

the tick tock is his pace maker... he's a bit old. in fairness though if someone tried tto take my lid off i'd eat them.
__________________
Be Thee Also Ready
www.motorsickle.com
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 25-09-2006, 11:11 PM
johnr johnr is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: preston, lancs
Posts: 3,530
Default helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob
the tick tock is his pace maker... he's a bit old. in fairness though if someone tried tto take my lid off i'd eat them.
of course you would pet , but you wouldnt have much choice if you were unconscious though would you? and if you werent breathing either, then i rather think your options would be even more limited!
__________________
in sidecars, no one can hear you scream!





http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 25-09-2006, 11:21 PM
hermann's Avatar
hermann hermann is offline
Been out, but rather stay in!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,418
Default

Okay then. I wear an open face, partially cos I like the extra peripheral vision but also in case of an accident my face can be accessed a damn sight easier to give mouth to mouth. However I was critisised for this by a mate who had a bad handgliding accident and had to have maxiofacial surgery. So which helmet to wear A full face that stops face getting damaged, but can break my spine, stop emergency ressucitation. Or wear an open face and get facial damage but can recieve emergency treatment. At the end of the day this is why I think people should have the choice about whether to wear a helmet and what helmet to wear.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 26-09-2006, 06:26 AM
Kylie's Avatar
Kylie Kylie is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Morley (50 yrs behind the times)
Posts: 7,425
Send a message via MSN to Kylie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermann
Okay then. I wear an open face, partially cos I like the extra peripheral vision but also in case of an accident my face can be accessed a damn sight easier to give mouth to mouth. However I was critisised for this by a mate who had a bad handgliding accident and had to have maxiofacial surgery. So which helmet to wear A full face that stops face getting damaged, but can break my spine, stop emergency ressucitation. Or wear an open face and get facial damage but can recieve emergency treatment. At the end of the day this is why I think people should have the choice about whether to wear a helmet and what helmet to wear.
Agree on choice.... but if your face gets mashed by impact with an open face on then it's near impossible to give resuscitation, and unless the person who finds you carries a resusci-aid to prevent blood transfer then any damage to the face and you're unlikely to get resuscitation..... People probably would have done before the high prevalence of HIV and Hepatitis, but now...

Perhaps a better appeal would be for people to carry their own resuscitation shield on their jackets? Nice and small, could be put into a pull off velcro patch with a suitable logo to make it easy to find.... just an idea
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 26-09-2006, 09:26 AM
hermann's Avatar
hermann hermann is offline
Been out, but rather stay in!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,418
Default

Thats not a bad idea. Our lass did a first aid course trhrough work and now carries a resucitation shield which she was given on the course
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 26-09-2006, 09:29 AM
Kylie's Avatar
Kylie Kylie is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Morley (50 yrs behind the times)
Posts: 7,425
Send a message via MSN to Kylie
Default

I have a couple, one is in my tank bag.

Perhaps there is something in the idea? I do occasionally have sensible ideas!!!

Definitely need to find someway of making it obvious where it is cos if you're unconscious you can't really tell them!
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 26-09-2006, 09:42 AM
hermann's Avatar
hermann hermann is offline
Been out, but rather stay in!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,418
Default

I wonder if a magazine could organise to give them away.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.