100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 20-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Chat Virgin

Cool MOT Problem

Thanks to Chris found an MOT stn in Swindon.....However Trike has just failed on not having 2 headlamps and no rear fog lamp.....I was on the under standing that Trikes under 1700mm wide didnt need fogs or 2 headlamps....my Trike measures in at 1520mm wide, I specifically built it less than 1700mm and now wondering if I neednt have bothered...Have the regulations changed and I've missed it, in which case I'm a complete muppet or has the MOT tester made an error??????
Old 20-07-2006, 07:42 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Ya may get a quicker responce if ya post it in the sticky at the top of the workshop bit, the MVSA tech one

HTH

My Blog

Fuck it, BURN THEM ALL !!
Old 20-07-2006, 08:39 PM
Banned

Sounds like your mot man is reading from old rule book , you are right on both counts , he is wrong , my trike is narrow , and not that heavy , only required 1 headlamp and no fog lights, on my recent mot.
Old 20-07-2006, 09:22 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

deffo dont need fog lights, unless there fitted and not working, but if not fitted, then ya dunna need 1 , read the info in this link, might be helpful http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm
Old 20-07-2006, 09:23 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy696969
Sounds like your mot man is reading from old rule book , you are right on both counts , he is wrong , my trike is narrow , and not that heavy , only required 1 headlamp and no fog lights, on my recent mot.
Yeah I agree mines the same as shaggy's..Mine dose have fogs but these wern't needed for the MOT, I had to have hazards fitted, and the handbrake repositioned and made to hold both back wheels...
Old 21-07-2006, 07:40 AM
Chatter Box

Get the tester to make sure he reads section 9 in conjunction with the main part of the manual. Section 9.1 lists the lighting requirements for trikes and quads and it does say 1700mm for motorcycle derived trikes.

If he still says it fails ring Newbury again to make a complaint, no tester wants enforcement breathing down their necks.
Old 26-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Chat Pimp

does a trike with a width of 1450mm need lights for an mot??? can it be used for daytime use ONLY??

Also does it need indicators?? or can you get away with hand signals

Looking forward to your replies as I need this info to finish off the trike ready for an mot

Bud
Old 26-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSVA Tech
1700mm for motorcycle derived trikes..
But,

if it is a CAR derived trike - a "discussion" I had with an MOT tester.

result was:-
as it weighed 750kg and had a 4 cylinder car engine with automatic gearbox and a leading link front end (not off a bike) therefore he considered it CAR and NOT Bike derived,

ergo, had to fit twin headlights lights on.
Old 27-08-2006, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud
does a trike with a width of 1450mm need lights for an mot??? can it be used for daytime use ONLY??

Also does it need indicators?? or can you get away with hand signals

Looking forward to your replies as I need this info to finish off the trike ready for an mot

Bud
You did squeeze that in as a joke right...Of course you need lights..even a skip needs lights if you put it on the road. indicators too unless it was made before 1906 or something like that.
Old 28-08-2006, 11:51 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

car trike my arse, if its got a sit astride seat, and 1 front wheel turned the same was a bike wheel is turned i.e. through bearings in a headstock, then its classed as a trike ! the fact its got a car engine does not make it a car. it could have a hydrogen peroxide motor, would that make it a space ship ? sick o mot testers making up thier own rules, if they cant keep up with the regs in thier job, then they shouldnt be in the job, if i dont keep abrest of regs in my job, im sacked, or taken to court and fined, my trike just failed because the bike seat on the front hadnt got a 3 point inertia seat belt, where the hell ya going mount a 3 point belt on a bike seat? a cloud, sky hooks ????? rant over, sorry
Old 29-08-2006, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins
You did squeeze that in as a joke right...Of course you need lights..even a skip needs lights if you put it on the road. indicators too unless it was made before 1906 or something like that.
You could get a daytime or daylight MOT (don't knowif you still can),someone from BSH (may even have been Nik!) built a Moto Martin with no lights,and back in '89 I saw a genuine Vincent Black Lightning,taxed with number plate,no lights (or even stands,bloke leant it against a fence! ) at the Ramsey Sprint.Obviously you can't run it at night.
Old 29-08-2006, 05:14 PM
Chatter Box

Default daytime

yes you can still get daytime mot`s .. i just fixed the lights on a kids gsxr400
and he had one... don`t know why he just did`nt put new bulbs in .. but there you go .....
must have a rear brame light(so vehicles following don`t run you over)
and indicators if 1986 or later...

however what i don`t know... picked up a r-reg ar50 with a yrs mot` on it..
and no indicators??
the guy said not need as its only a 50cc????
Old 29-08-2006, 05:38 PM

I thought if lights were fitted they had to work?

Free the binary 10
Old 29-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Chat Pimp

Thanks guys

Trikes can be a bit of a grey area when it comes to mot etc
I've been told so many things but no one is really prepared to say what it right or wrong

My trike is 1980-ish on an X plate, it is also registered as a trike on the log book
Old 29-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Chatter Box

Send a message via MSN to IPC_Jules

i know bikes can have a daylight MOT or could on the old system as my old chop did... had a headlight and stop and tails but no indicators so had to daylight it.

all you are allowed then is a stop light and all you have to do is cover the headlight and light switch in black tape and then they are classed as "not there"

well thats what my mot guy said and did

"It's goodbye to the shortcuts, Hello to the grind, Nobody ever said it would be an easy ride, Suffer for your art"
Old 30-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Chat Pimp

I had a chat with a lacal mot tester today and he told me

'with the new laws a bike can get away with a daylight only mot (with NO lights- NOT even a brake light) but a Trike falls into a different catercary and needs full lighting system (side, main and full beam, brake lights, numberplate lights and lights on the rear mudguards)'

Hope that helps a few fellow Trike builders (not my words, I'm just passing on what was told to me today)

Bud