100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 23-08-2006, 10:21 PM
Banned

Default Tupperware party - comments welcome!

The GT 750 (not standard by a long chalk) is getting a bit much for me, seat too low, pegs too high and it's heavy too which means the old dears joints really hurt at the end of a middle distance ride like the one we had to Belgium last year.
A mate of mine left his GPZ 500 here, he doesn't really want to ride bikes any more. Although it is a bit of a tupperware merchants ride it is much more comfortable, lighter and an S reg which is 11 years younger than my current bike. He'll probably flog it too me for 150 quid to get rid of it.
The only probs is it's been sitting in our front yard for a year and has a tendency to cut out dead now and again. It hasn't been serviced in 3-4 years either as he was crap at looking after it.
It's water cooled, chain drive. Anyone think it's worth taking it on, any common probs with this type of bike?
Old 23-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Good bike's when cared for,some had cam prob's i got a m8 in Manchester covered 100,000 plus on one with no prob's.
Old 23-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Default Grab it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Reject
A mate of mine left his GPZ 500 here, he doesn't really want to ride bikes any more. Although it is a bit of a tupperware merchants ride it is much more comfortable, lighter and an S reg which is 11 years younger than my current bike. He'll probably flog it too me for 150 quid to get rid of it.
The only probs is it's been sitting in our front yard for a year and has a tendency to cut out dead now and again. It hasn't been serviced in 3-4 years either as he was crap at looking after it.
It's water cooled, chain drive. Anyone think it's worth taking it on, any common probs with this type of bike?
Sounds like a bargain ,snatch his hand off, you should make your money back easily on the GT And it will be a lot easier on your wrists and bum. I'm sure you will get enough advice here to help get it on the road. John
Old 24-08-2006, 07:38 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Thats the same bike and year that my missus rides. Its a good bike, fun to ride and quite quick for a 500. Hers started cutting out recently and we found that the main fuse located next to the, oh what is it called ! I think its the starter solenoid ? (located under front part of seat, next to the frame left hand side ?) was faulty, changed it and no problem.

Also when we first got it it was cutting out and this was due to the side stand cut out switch playing up ( we removed it). Try those two options as a quick fix and give it a go.
Old 24-08-2006, 08:46 AM

Grab it and remove the side stand switch.

Free the binary 10
Old 24-08-2006, 09:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Thats the same bike and year that my missus rides. Its a good bike, fun to ride and quite quick for a 500. Hers started cutting out recently and we found that the main fuse located next to the, oh what is it called ! I think its the starter solenoid ? (located under front part of seat, next to the frame left hand side ?) was faulty, changed it and no problem.

Also when we first got it it was cutting out and this was due to the side stand cut out switch playing up ( we removed it). Try those two options as a quick fix and give it a go.
Exactly what we did with it originally, removed the side stand cut out switch as that was always giving our mate grief. I didn't think about the main fuse...of course! I had that problem with my current GT so that's worth an investigation before freaking out about wiring and other electrical faults! Thanks.
Old 24-08-2006, 09:45 AM

If its been standing take apart all the connectors and clean off the green crap, and make sure the earthing points are clean.

Free the binary 10
Old 24-08-2006, 09:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro
If its been standing take apart all the connectors and clean off the green crap, and make sure the earthing points are clean.
Good plan! I'll prob be selling my GT750 on, Mitch knows whats wrong with it - process of elimination and expert advice from Kawasaki peeps so it'll run great for re-sale and the engine was rebuilt a couple of years ago so it's quite sound now despite the probs I have had with it.
Old 24-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

Put forward controls on the GT, The GPZ500 will only give you the same probs as you originally had with the GT before you changed the bars.

I would buy the GPZ to sell on after giving it a good clean and an mot.

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 24-08-2006, 10:26 AM
Banned

GAH!!! Stop it, I can't make up my mind what to do already
Old 24-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

However you look at it, logic suggests you need a lighter machine, the Gpz fits the bill, if it's comfy to sit on, get it. no point aggravating the rheumatics if you don't need too.
Old 24-08-2006, 11:40 AM

which ever one you dont want, just give it to me

My Blog

Fuck it, BURN THEM ALL !!
Old 24-08-2006, 12:07 PM

GPZ500 = loads of fun, just get rid of that stupid side stand switch
Old 24-08-2006, 06:50 PM

Cool Mitch's two-penn'orth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav
Put forward controls on the GT, The GPZ500 will only give you the same probs as you originally had with the GT before you changed the bars.

I would buy the GPZ to sell on after giving it a good clean and an mot.
OK... darling... listen to what this nice bloke has to say...
1. because it's Grav... (known him a long time and I trust him!)
2. because if you read his signature - it says (apart from the custard bit which I won't go into) Mitch Says....."It'll be right, trust me. I'm a Yorkshireman!"

QED!

The bike in question - S reg GPZ500s - Not run since April 2005 (Simon Milward run). Very doubtful that it's had an oil change or service since new (37000 miles ago) as the only time the fairings have been taken off is when they've been replaced (as in, it's been dumped on its side a couple of times) - the exhausts and starter motor are rusted in place and it has got a rattle. Also, said present owner brought a set of pads round in the hope that I'd change them for him and service the bike as well as take it for MOT every year it's been sat outside - cheeky sod!

Needs new right handlebar for MOT and top fairing (unless someone can plastic weld) to hold the right front indicator in place - it's got a large crack there.

I also reckon it needs at least another battery and chain & Sprocket set (that alone is 54.99 from M&P for the cheapy 'on two wheels chain & sprocket set). The last battery looked like it had been cooked. I tried charging it in the spring when we thought the owner would collect it and it wouldn't hold a charge - the bike was a bit of an arse to start (OK, because of the starter clutch, so is the GT - that's a given but that will cost about between 40-100 to sort providing I either go for a brand new starter clutch and gear or a second hand one and I can fix it me'sen), I'd charge the battery one day and a couple of days later, it would go 'click-wrrrr-wrrrr-wrrrr-click' not even turning over the starter motor, so we might have the alternator troubles all over again.

I've ridden the bike in the past (see above) and found it's a bit of a boneshaker and the bars are very narrow compared to the GT (as Grav says, that can cause more problems than it's worth) and my wrists did hurt after 135 miles (Seaford to Tunbridge Wells to Brighton and back to Seaford) I once did the 300 mile round trip to MAG central on it over a weekend but had to stop a couple of times. I also got a serious inferiority complex on it compared with my GT.

You've always refused to ride it... likewise, you always hated its stablemate, the ER5 when you did your test (that's why I had to ride the firm's bike, even though the ZL was off the road, not my GT, when we went to the Drink Drop a couple of years ago)

I've nearly always had shafties since the CX (which was my first big bike) - the only big chain drive bike I've had was the German Import CB650 I had when I moved down south - I got sick of loosening the wheel, undoing the chain tensioners and un-hooking the chain from the rear sprocket, then undo the wheel spindle, torque arm, etc. just to get the wheel off (now it's just lift the back end up with the jack, undo wheel spindle and caliper, move the caliper out of the way and bingo, just drop the wheel out). As chief mechanic round here who would have to sort the chain every time it needs adjusting (if you do a lot of miles, like I used to when I was a dizzy, it gets rather annoying after a while), that's one reason why I'd like the veto... Shafties are much easier to service... oh yes, and the water cooled thing... (remember the Audi and the ZL - as well as my old CX)

OK, the GT has a couple of faults, not many now - it is in much better nick than it was when we bought it two and a half years ago from the ad in 100% Biker (as you say, it's just had its engine reconditioned and it's got a new alternator, Reg/Rec, etc, cam chain - plus the barrels and pistons have been checked and they are still fine). I know the seat is still too low (that's what makes the pegs too high - with a taller seat like mine, and the forwards as Grav says - even if they're more like the controls on the ZL, it will be more comfortable - after all, you aren't no weedy lass with stumpy legs that cannot take the skin off a rice pudding)

You mentioned Belgium (damn, I've just sworn on a public forum - bollox!)
That was when you had the old narrow bars, so no wonder you had cramp in your shoulders/arms on the way down (and it was bucketing down) - change the grips back to normal width ones on the GT as the ones on there are two wide for your hands and you'll be better. Again, the higher seat should sort out the frog riding position for your legs.

Also, the throttle problem will be the same whether you have a GT or a GPZ so it's no different on your wrists. We can get the Quad one and adapt it how you want it.

OK, the top of the rev range on the GT needs sorting out, because of the previous owner's fixation with straight through pipes, the jetting is all to hell (an hour on't Dyno should sort it with the appropriate jetting)

Anyway, IMHO... I would stick with the GT, but 'buy' the GPZ and get rid for a profit. Meanwhile, we've got the two GTs and the CM125 to play with. I've kept my GT for four years now, and I have no intention of changing it... but that's just me.

Switch off TV, get a life... www.whitedot.org

Last edited by Mitch; 24-08-2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old 24-08-2006, 06:51 PM

Oh yeah... one last thing... your GT is an individual (just like you! ) - and a show winner too!

Last edited by Mitch; 24-08-2006 at 07:19 PM.
Old 24-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Default Mitch

Don't you two talk to each other...How far apart are your computers. John
Old 24-08-2006, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins
we do talk a lot - especially now we haven't got a TV, we had a similar conversation last night (on our way to see The Notorious Bettie Page ... and on the way back too) but sometimes I need to get my thoughts together... also, her computer (when she's not on this one ) is upstairs. Also, Mrs R's at work (on her way home now)

that reminds me of the time that Grav had his smash a few years ago and both he and his missus wrote to BSH and got their letters printed in the same issue - I think it was Blue who said the same thing 'Don't you two talk to each other?'

Old 24-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins
For pete's sake, we're in the same room No not really, I've been on a late shift, just got home. Anyway I already made up my mind.............................................. .I'm keeping the GT
Old 24-08-2006, 08:55 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Just in case nothing happens with the GPZ and it ends up getting broken down for parts, cos by the sound of it that may be a financilly better route what colour is it and if its black i'll buy some bits off you.
Old 24-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Reject
For pete's sake, we're in the same room No not really, I've been on a late shift, just got home. Anyway I already made up my mind.............................................. .I'm keeping the GT
Good for you, I find they are an honest bike, and if you don't have to buy NEW bits they are cheap to keep on the road. Mine is still standard, the seat is not very soft and it is a bit hard on the wrists, they're not very fast, and I have to ask a passerby to help me get it on the centre stand more often than not, but it feels safe and doesn't leak oil. It works better if I let it run.but I've got to get gloves and a helmet, and these moccosins feel somehow wrong for it. John
Old 25-08-2006, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Just in case nothing happens with the GPZ and it ends up getting broken down for parts, cos by the sound of it that may be a financilly better route what colour is it and if its black i'll buy some bits off you.
It's actually red... apart from the top half of the fairing...