100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Old 04-02-2006, 09:35 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Send a message via ICQ to Goff Send a message via MSN to Goff Send a message via Yahoo to Goff
Default HiD Lights

We had a mate of mine popover today who has fitted HID lighting to his bike, it does look rather cool and the other half's been thinking about fitting some to his VFR800. I wouldn't mind some meself either.

Anyone else done it or know of someone that's fitted them, and what do you think of them?
Old 04-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Borg

A what ?..
Old 04-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Ah now if i'm right, This sort of lamp consists of a tubular outer bulb approx. 10 mm (.4 inch) in diameter which contains the arc tube (inner bulb). The outer bulb is made of special quartz such as cerium-doped quartz which blocks most ultraviolet, especially the more dangerous short and medium wavelengths as well as much of the 365-366 nM longwave mercury line cluster.
The arc tube or inner bulb is made of plain fused quartz and has tungsten electrodes with the distance between the tips approx. 4.2, maybe 5 millimeters (approx. or slightly under .2 inch). Its construction resembles that of a miniaturized short arc lamp, but true short arc lamps have a much more concentrated arc.

The arc tube has xenon gas in it at a couple of atmospheres to maybe a few atmospheres when cold and a few to maybe several atmospheres when hot. There is also mercury in the bulb, and when it is vaporized the mercury adds at least 20 atmospheres of pressure for a total pressure of around or maybe even over 30 atmospheres.

Metal halides - salts - are also in the arc tube. The formulation in automotive HID lamps includes sodium and scandium halides (probably iodides) and maybe traces of others such as lithium and thallium halides.

More ordinary metal halide lamps do not have high pressure xenon but have low pressure argon instead. The high pressure xenon is used to obtain some usable light output during warmup before the other ingredients have vaporized.

ok i googled it...lol
Old 04-02-2006, 09:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Goff Send a message via MSN to Goff Send a message via Yahoo to Goff

High Intensity Discharge lighting Borg lol

Jonny ya geek

Just wondered if anyone has them or knows anyone who has them and what they thught of them thats all lol
Old 04-02-2006, 09:56 PM
Banned

ahh one of them why didnt you say
Old 04-02-2006, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyfp
Ah now if i'm right, This sort of lamp consists of a tubular outer bulb approx. 10 mm (.4 inch) in diameter which contains the arc tube (inner bulb). The outer bulb is made of special quartz such as cerium-doped quartz which blocks most ultraviolet, especially the more dangerous short and medium wavelengths as well as much of the 365-366 nM longwave mercury line cluster.
The arc tube or inner bulb is made of plain fused quartz and has tungsten electrodes with the distance between the tips approx. 4.2, maybe 5 millimeters (approx. or slightly under .2 inch). Its construction resembles that of a miniaturized short arc lamp, but true short arc lamps have a much more concentrated arc.

The arc tube has xenon gas in it at a couple of atmospheres to maybe a few atmospheres when cold and a few to maybe several atmospheres when hot. There is also mercury in the bulb, and when it is vaporized the mercury adds at least 20 atmospheres of pressure for a total pressure of around or maybe even over 30 atmospheres.

Metal halides - salts - are also in the arc tube. The formulation in automotive HID lamps includes sodium and scandium halides (probably iodides) and maybe traces of others such as lithium and thallium halides.

More ordinary metal halide lamps do not have high pressure xenon but have low pressure argon instead. The high pressure xenon is used to obtain some usable light output during warmup before the other ingredients have vaporized.

ok i googled it...lol

Why Borg? Why? Why?
What ever did we do to you?
Its a fancy/ponsy light. Thats all we need to know.
Sheesh..................................
Old 04-02-2006, 09:57 PM

It is a fancy poncey light indeed griff......but i like fancy.....although not too sure about the poncey bit
Old 04-02-2006, 09:58 PM
Banned

you'll need one of these then

http://tinyurl.com/a34nv
Old 04-02-2006, 10:02 PM

And ya said ya dont know what i was on about Borg...lol

Cheers for that, but i think that ones forra car honey
Old 04-02-2006, 10:07 PM

The only reason i dont like em is up until 8 years ago the Ducati 916, 996,998 all had the nicest styling of any race bike, not often i'd call a vehical sexy but i genuinly yurned the 916 when it first appeared..

hmmm however the 999 with the HiD lighting lost its charm somewhat...

Old 04-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Banned

I was on about the VFR800
Old 04-02-2006, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goff
It is a fancy poncey light indeed griff......but i like fancy.....although not too sure about the poncey bit
It's also hellishly expensive I believe.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg
I was on about the VFR800

I was on about the Duke..
Old 04-02-2006, 10:14 PM

Sorry Borg my brain is still bumswizzled after much consumption of alcohol last night lol

Dougie, we have come across a site that sells them at around 120 for a single filament bulb, and 140 for summat they call bi xenon. So yes a lil pricey lol
Old 04-02-2006, 10:17 PM

You could buy a bike fer that!
Old 06-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goff
We had a mate of mine popover today who has fitted HID lighting to his bike, it does look rather cool and the other half's been thinking about fitting some to his VFR800. I wouldn't mind some meself either.

Anyone else done it or know of someone that's fitted them, and what do you think of them?
I've been thinking for a while of fitted a Bi-Xenon HID unit to my trike's 7" headlight.

Bi-Xenon is where the HID does both dip and full beam, if you get a "normal" HID unit it'll only do dip - HID lights take a few seconds to warm up so they aren't normally suitable for high beam, the Bi-Xenon ones use the same light source for dip/full and, I think, some the light source slightly to re-aim it.

There's several benefits - supposed to be a brighter spread of light, it only used 35W to get the same output as a 55/60W H4.

Disadvantages - cost (near 200 quid for a Bi-Xenon), not sure of legal situation.

The legal situation is "interesting"..........when a car is supplied with HID as standard then it has "auto-leveling" mechanism as that, for example, if you load up the boot then the headlight recalibrate so aim lower to take into account the vehicle being rear-heavy (and so the front lifting slightly). I think they also have to be self cleaning as well. I'm not sure if bikes which come with HID as stock have either auto-leveling of self clean...

The law is apparently unclear for retro fitting HIDs to cars or bikes......no-one seems to be able to give a clear legal answer as to whether indeed auto-levelling and/or self clean is required at all, or indeed if HID can be legally retrofitted at all.