Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 10-01-2006, 11:04 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy696969
so uncle bunt werent qualified or

john reed ?

you are looking at a price difference of nearly 10 x in 20 years does that seem right to you , even petrol and fags havent increased by that much , or are they being greedy ?

build in bulk and sell cheap to the abundant market .... not difficult to figure out really.
ONE. There is over £150 in materials in a basic rigid frame built out of seamless tube.

TWO. Nobody WANTS an off the shelf frame these days. Every bugger always wants something a bit different.

THREE. Do you actually have ANY fucking idea how much it costs in overhead to run a workshop? Do you even know what overhead is?

FOUR. Since when was ten times £150 equal to £600? I make that four times.

FIVE. Uncle Bunt IS John Reed you dick....
Old 10-01-2006, 11:08 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

ok ok,
sorry to cause such a rift in peoples opinions ( does that make sence ? lol )

You have all given me some advice and i will be usng it when i need to. after all it was just advice on a price and materials i was after .

everybody smile and be abit more fluffy
Old 10-01-2006, 11:08 PM

there are also other costs incured in buying a proffessional frame from a full time builder.

if you £150.00 frame built by a guy down the road using his trusty 90amp arc and some pipe from a scrappy falls apart on you maiming you for life. or worse maiming someone else what yer gonna do?, basically there will be fuck all you can do, if same mate sells off your engine and bits he had to make your frame what yer gonna do?

thats why we pay lots of money for things like public liability insurance, by the very fact that we weld, causes our contents insurance etc tor ocket in price.

this expenditure has to be taken into account when pricing a job.

you buy a £7.95 fuel filter from me or any company, a small percentage of the mark up is for said insurances.
its to give both us and the customer peace of mind.

i will however agree that there are good amateur frame builders out there and there are bad professional ones.
i recently saw an xs1100 trike which had used the original frame from the rear of the engine forward, which had cracked through both down tubes.
the xs1100 has braces running down the front down tubes for about 12" it had cracked where those braces ended and the rest of the down tubes started.
that frame was built by a well known long astablished company who have built loads of rigids. but not many trikes, they simply did'nt realise the forces imposed on a trike frame are not the same as those of a 2 wheeler.

take a look at blackjacks site, you'll find loads of mathermatical equations.
the guy is not just reeling off numbers or showing off. frame building "good frame building" is a science and knowing the math can mean the difference between a good frame and a piece of edam cheese.

those skills rarely come naturally they have to be learnt, often through trial and error and that again costs money, and why should the builder wear all the cost of that knowledge ?

ok fingers tired now
Old 10-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Banned

The price on here quoted was around 1000 - 1500, not everybody wants everything done for em, im not a engineer so i dont know the price of steel , is it nescassary to uses seemless ? are you sure nobody wants basic frames?
No idea about workshops but yea I run me own business .... and have overheard but my business is regulated by local government so i cant hike the prices. but I dont bleat either I just get on.

John Reed was talkin about when he was involved in the business , in his surgery BSH 1984 and in same iss (No6) Uncle bunt advert, now he may have started the business but he werent involved then. So how would I know different.

Pesonal insults ..... aww are your feelings hurt.

Im not saying that 1 offs are the problem, what I am saying is that there is a whole in the market for basic .... pro made frames , I never mentioned anything else. certainly not stick. But there certainly seems to be a few raw nerves struck.

Last edited by shaggy696969; 11-01-2006 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:19 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldyshinehead
ok ok,
sorry to cause such a rift in peoples opinions ( does that make sence ? lol )

You have all given me some advice and i will be usng it when i need to. after all it was just advice on a price and materials i was after .

everybody smile and be abit more fluffy
No worries mate, there have been several "discussions" regarding frame building on this section over the years and they can frequently be highly entertaining.

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 10-01-2006, 11:20 PM

oh im not complaining entertainment value is way up lol
Old 10-01-2006, 11:21 PM

with all respect shaggy some of those frames bult by bunts years ago were non to clever they used to flex a tad. and these days people really do want a quality product. and some are happy to pay for it. but there are also those who do not.

i do practise the sell cheap and make up for it in quantity as far as my custom parts are concerned, but i look ahead to the future. if a customer can odorn thier pride and joy with every bolt on bit at a good price from me. then one day some of those people will want something more one offish and will gladly pay the higher cost that it will incur to obtain it.

if that makes me sound mercenary then so be it.. i do not see it that way. i want to see customising grow.
if it was all to die out tomorrow the likes of myself,blackjack and many others who weld and work with metal can easily turn our hand to other areas, and believe me there are easier ways of making money than being in this game.. many of us do it beacause we love what we do... i love my job
Old 10-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Banned

As i remember it , Japanese bike makers frames at the time werent much better, but at the heart of customising is , the ability to make unique or customised individual machines , personal to the owners , wether that is through totally 1 off machines start to finnish built , or supplying the guy puttin together his first chop in his back shed . So I applaud anyone who can make the parts available , I just pointed out a whole in the market.

Yes I accept things have to progress and you dont have to tell me about public liability , been there bought them all the fucking sweatshirts. But sometimes things get blinkerd as to thinking every fucka on the planet is earning the national average wage which today was reported at over double minimum wage ..... not round here it aint , so budgets are set. what people in london may find reasonable to someone in the welsh mountains or yourkshire dales will find fucking deer so we have to do things cheeper.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:41 PM

shaggy i agree with some of what you say. but we are controled by outside forces in many respects, i.e. what we get charged for steel,electric,insurance,and tools that will last more than a week.

i'm afraid if you can't afford what you would really like then you have to set your sights lower and maybe in a couple of years you will be able to afford or gained the skills to get/make what you want. or you can go for credit which is another minefield all together.
we live in a society who want things now. and the credit companies prosper

and why the fok are 2 welsh people argueing when theres loads of brummies about
Old 10-01-2006, 11:52 PM
Banned

All I was doin in the beginning was offereing a cheeper solution as baldshiney one said cashflow was restricted.

I am in the process myself of paying for having my max triked (professionally) by a member on here , workin in the valleys , so keepin the cash local , but this guy is everything pro so I am paying. But then I'm giving it to me wife to use while I carry on , on another project .

and hey I'm not welsh I just chose to live in your beautiful albeit poverty stricken country, Good point well made about the fucking brummies though....
Old 10-01-2006, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy696969
Good point well made about the fucking brummies though....

hey, how do you think i feel, there only half hour away from here
Old 17-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

As if to prove a point...

Anyone want a frame for an Ironhead Sporty? Another E-bay purchase that won't do what it was bought for. I can fit the motor in it, but the stance is all wrong and the guy doesn't like the way it's going to look.

So he's having a new frame built......