100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 08-05-2004, 10:07 AM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony
Default paint??

Hi, have been building a bike engined trike and now getting to the stage that looking around for ideas etc for the paintwork, I love flames etc but they seem to be everywhere now, so was looking for something that bit different. lo and behold the inspiration came during a visit to B&Q, they sell this range of paints from plasticote, they do a crackled effect one, and also a really mad granite effect as well

so current choice is gold undercoat with black top coat all crackled, looks a bit like leather, but there was also a real mad pastel blue granite/flecked finish

anyone reckon that this idea will be rubbish?, Im not too sure if it will look right but was wondering if anyone else had used it and could offer any advice that might save me alot of time and money

thanks

Tony
Old 09-05-2004, 09:50 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Make sure that you can clear coat it without the crackle effect being damaged. Most of the crackle effects work on a chemical reaction between the two layers of paint, rather like spraying cellulose over oil based paints, or visa-versa. If you use a uerathane base then you will need to use a uerathane clear coat etc. It would be best to buy a small pot of your crackle effect and spray it onto a test panel and then use your chosen clear coat. If a reaction takes place try a different coating system. A crackle coat would need to be clear coated 'cos they are usually for interior wood/iron work.
Hope that helps.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:14 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Plastikote is very good. I used Black metalflake in 2 coats on my engine and primary cases. Then topped it off with 2 coats of clear metallic.
It never came off even in the heat of central Spain on an air cooled Harley

If you let it dry properly for a couple of days, you may be able to use the PlastiKote Clear Metallic on top.

B&Q tend to have the domestic varities of this paint and Halfords carry the automotive range.

Hammerite also now do a very fetching range of smooth satin paints - I've been eying up the Gunmetal grey for my panels.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:27 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

thanks for that guys, have been toying with a couple of ideas and some paint and have decided that the new trike will be born unto the name "stone cold sober", and will go for the granite effect, just a bit different

Tony