100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 13-07-2005, 04:10 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

first dealt with the fire extinguisher man bout 15 years ago, through work but more recently had my dive bottle tested and bought a couple of extinguishers from them, so i dont burn my garage down, building dollies new trike.
Old 14-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by izombie
well here it is in all it's ugly-ness
have yet to fit the Fiesta wheel, fog horn, screen and bigger radiator!!
What's the reason for the bigger radiator? Also which one are you putting one? Is it an aftermarket Max one or something else?
Old 15-07-2005, 07:56 AM
Chat Virgin

Default sidecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by titusni
What's the reason for the bigger radiator? Also which one are you putting one? Is it an aftermarket Max one or something else?

Hi Mate, had to fit a smaller one after fitting me bigger front-end as the standard was getting hit by the yokes and wheel. It's now over-heating due to the weight of the 'chair but it was crap in the first place.

looking at a small car radiator as it can be fitted between the bike and chair

Malky
Old 15-07-2005, 10:56 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

why dont you trike it m8, plenty experience round where you are........

nissan micra radiator nice n small
Old 15-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Hi Mate, had to fit a smaller one after fitting me bigger front-end as the standard was getting hit by the yokes and wheel. It's now over-heating due to the weight of the 'chair but it was crap in the first place.
I understand. I've got lengthed GSX-R forks on my Max trike and the fokrs do hit the radiator if I try and do full lock. Doesn't help that I've an aftermarket radiator cover on as the stock one was curved inwards to give slightly more room.

As for overheating due to weight - my Max trike is 470kg (so almost twice stock Max weight) and it runs fine with the stock radiator...
Old 15-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Quote:

looking at a small car radiator as it can be fitted between the bike and chair

Malky
Local to me is a place called D&H Radiator Services. I ring 'em up and ask for a price to get a rad made to my spec and they usually ring back and say what about this one..... About 30 for off the shelf, 60 or so if they make one I think.
Old 17-07-2005, 02:47 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Default sidecars

fab looking outfit matey, but i honestly think your problem is that your chair is too light for the bike. also the accelerate round left corners, brake round right, is a great way to get killed when looking at such a light weight cahir on a big bike, as soon as the chair wheels up, your steering is fecked ! neutral gas round left is really best, but as its your outfit, you will know best. another thing is that the sidecars suspeension will not have been designed for the stick it will be getting now its hurtling about at the speeds a vmax is capable of. is there anything to stop you from widening it a little, as the increased width might make it harder to lift the chair wheel. if you are fitting a car wheel to the chair, then you are going to have to set it up again anyhow, so why not widen it. if you are using telescopic forks aim for about 15mm of lean out, i.e.the bike leaning away from the chair, this willhelp the steering no end, a set of leading links will improve s teerin no end, though as i said as the chair is light then you will have your work cut out.
as for balast, well if you are going to weight it down, why not just ge a bigger/heavier chair, then you might improve the handling or at least make it tolerable on left handers, ans have the bonus of more carrying capacity!, you may end up with fore arms like popeye!!!
theres a few good links from the fed of sidecar clubs website , that deal with setup and handling
www.sidecar.org.uk
Old 18-07-2005, 09:02 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Anyone want to point out that a sidecar is a different taxation class from a solo so "popping" the chair on and off is a little more fraught than just nuts and bolts?
This the subject of some debate on the Fed site as to whether the sidecar is an accessory or not and as to how it should be recorded on the V5.

As for information on setting up you will find the Fed website has a technical section which gives most of the info you require. Brian Wickstead is the Fed technical officer he will deal with any more complex issues.

Try posting on the Fed forum you'll probably find someone who has attempted something similar.

As to riding em yup its mainly controlled on the throttle, although a sidecar brake is a usefull though not essential accessory. Sounds to me like one of your measurements may be wrong if the lean out is correct. Check the toe-in and the distance of the axle of the sidecar wheel from the axle of the rear wheel of the bike. Of course if you're not using leading links or hub-centre steering the steering will tend to be heavy.

A good test of set-up is to let go of handlebars at 40mph. If it continues in a straight line the set-up isn't too bad.
Old 18-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack
Local to me is a place called D&H Radiator Services. I ring 'em up and ask for a price to get a rad made to my spec and they usually ring back and say what about this one..... About 30 for off the shelf, 60 or so if they make one I think.
Are these suitable for bike engines? Mindfull that the price for a replacement V-Max rad is 200 quid (Exactrep).
Old 19-07-2005, 12:15 AM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by titusni
Are these suitable for bike engines? Mindfull that the price for a replacement V-Max rad is 200 quid (Exactrep).

They're suitable for water cooled engines. Most car radiator repair places can build radiators from scratch, but every time I've drawn something up so far these guys have found an off the shelf one that just wanted the mounts modified. No guarantees, and it'll depend how helpful your local radiator shop is, but worth checking out.