100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 05-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Chat Virgin

Default trike rear brakes

hi
can any one help me i have built atrike using reliant axle and bolt on convertion having trouble with rear brakes im using a 5\8 master cylinder
brakes work ok ish but say u drive the trike twice for say 8 miles at a time . the third time u drive it or there abouts the rear brakes start to bind slowly .till there on solid and u have to release them using the adjuster on the drums has anyone one has this problem its doing me head in
thanks steve
Old 05-03-2014, 07:59 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

Hi Stevo, the first thing to check is the push rod goinginto the master cylinder.

It probably has no free play, this restricts the fluid flowing back into the reservoir thus holding the brakes on. As the brakes warm up the fluid expands making things worse till it all comes to a grinding halt.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:28 PM
Chat Virgin

Default stevo trike rear brakes

Hi thanks for your reply i,ll have a look at that tomorrow i. needed some advice its starting to do my head in many thanks steve
Old 05-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Send a message via MSN to BikerGran

Yes I have a trike with Reliant axle and have had the same problem. I always adjust the brakes back an extra notch to allow for this. (when I get it MOT'd I stop round the corner before going in and ramp them up the extra notch to make sure it passes).

Last time I had the brakes done this didn't seem to work and it turned out there just wasn't enough free play in the actuator (what Harry was saying above) - my trike uses the brake rod of the original bike to operate the master cylinder. Now that I've adjusted it there the angle of the brake pedal isn't right but the main thing is that it works when I need it and lets go when it should.

Hoping to get a friend to adjust the rod/pedal for me as I tend to go the wrong way when I do it, but it's rideable and safe as it is. I don't know why the Reliant brakes do this but I know I'm not the only one. They do a brilliant job of stopping the trike though, in fact they lock up a little more easily than I would like, even when adjusted back the extra notch.