100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Chatter Box

Default Scab

Yesterday, not that anyone really noticed, Teaching unions called a general strike for the east of England region.

As ever, their basic goals are nobel enough - restore exisitng contracts over pensions (given that the government declared contracts over bonuses to be binding, but not over public sector pensions), end the pay freeze and restore pay imrovement parity with the private sector. The side-line issue of how to introduce perfomrance related pay for a 'product' you can't measure (if you measure education by grades acheived, then a qualification only tells you how good an institution is it would tell you nothing about the skills of the qualification holder) will rage on.

I did not strike, despite being a NUTer.
A general strike has already been ignored. A partial strike is hardly going to have any impact is it? What will happen is that it will inconvenience many other people. I am employed to educate, not provide day-care, but I understand that a downturn in public opinion of teachers won't help them fight their cause against government (and may result in government feeling happier to introduce further sanction).
So, no likely benefit, risk of actual harm. I'm not striking. It's a stupid strategy.

The goals themselves need work too. Yes, teachers have taken sanctions for a problem they didn't create. The same is true for many others as well. And merely being a victim doesn't create the resources for a solution. Does the government have the money? Yes, but they'll spend it on other things; so all the unions are really doing is protesting government spending priorities. Great. Join the queue. We know the government will work for the benefit of the industries that back their rise to power. And therein lies a better solution.

Two different things teaching unions could do:
1 - refuse all formal assessment. Lets see how long the gov't ignores teacher demands when nobody gets a GCSE, BTec or A-Level. Worked nearly instantly in the University sector.
2 - If the Eatonain / Bullingdon boys club is running the show, then you know the rules of the game. Stop protesting the rules and start playing. Merge the unions and hire a raft of Eatonian/Bullingdons to run it. Argue for an industry of self-regulation and defferance to professionals (like the financial services get) with appropriate reward and incentive (ditto) and have Harry-rugger-bugger-no-chin-III as the representative to government.

Why am I posting this here? The BBC news website never publishes my comments and the TES forums find me, err, different. So, I send this message out to the universe from here. Who knows, perhaps the discussion will gain traction and someone with influence will come to consider the idea. Perhaps I'll just be repeatedly called a cunt. I almost care which.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Pay freeze! I'd have loved one. I'm earning 100 a week LESS than I was on two year ago. In fact, I'm earning less a week than I was on five year ago.

Oh, and it's ETONian
Old 03-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Angry

Ok, not for the first time, I'll just call you a cunt. You are also a very boring cunt.

All that you will achieve by posting your pinko propaganda here, is that you will get even more abuse thrown at you.

I really don't give a flying fuck about teachers pay and conditions, nor their pensions. They have jobs. They earn a salary and get long holidays. Their success and performance is in my opinion sadly lacking. I attribute those failings to their spending way too much time thinking about themselves rather than the children they are supposed to be educating.

I was expelled from two Grammar schools and one fully comprehensive. I was then sent down. While I was inside, I still managed to get 3 grade 1 "O levels". I got 5 more, all grade 1, by taking classes while I was in the army.

While you lazy bastards are moaning about how bad your lot is, kids are leaving school barely able to string a coherent sentence together, never mind being able to spell or calculate basic arithmetic. Your in service training days are just an official skive.

Girls are no longer taught how to do basic things like cook a simple meal with basic fresh ingredients. Instead my daughter was taught how to microwave a pizza. I had to teach her how to cook. I also had to teach her how to sew a button on her blouse, replace a zip, etc etc. She attended lessons in "Textiles", but I have no idea what benefit that gave her.

When she left school she got 12 GCSE's and all at good grades. She got those grades because Mrs Chopper and I made damn sure she did her homework and actually understood what it was she was supposed to be learning. Most of the time her homework was not marked and when we met her teachers at a parents evening, I began to see why kids are NOT prepared for life after school.

I had to teach my daughter how to apply for a job, write a proper letter of application, prepare her CV and how to conduct herself at an interview. The school failed my daughter and her classmates, very badly.

Before you come on here whinging again and proclaiming all manner of conspiracy theories, how about you whinging fuckers spared a thought for all of those people that would love to have a job as well paid as a teachers position. A position that does come with a pension and considerable other benefits.

How about all the old folk that are going to really suffer this year because they cannot afford to heat their homes and eat a decent diet. What about all the ex service personnel that have been ripped off by the government on their War Pensions. War Pensions are not just given out because you did three years service. You have to suffer very real injuries or illness directly caused by service. Then you have to fight civvie wankers to get what you are entitled to.

What about the fact that hundreds of thousands of kids go to school with no breakfast because their parents are so hard up. Not everyone on a low income is a benefit cheat or scrounger.

What about the thousands of sick people that desperately need treatment, but cannot get it because of the downright incompetence of the hospital managers that are supposed to be educated people. Their incompetence is rewarded with promotion and cause a further massive drain on the NHS because of their outrageous salaries.

Think yourself lucky you have a job that gives you a salary. You may not be able to afford three foreign holidays a year and a 6 bedroom house in some fancy area, but that is your own fault for living above your means.

Stop fucking whinging, get a fucking grip and go fuck yourself.

Cunt.

Chopper

WELCOME TO GREAT BRITAIN.
WE ARE FULL UP, SO FUCK OFF.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

I have a question for you Fenrir.

why does the NUT think there should be a national pay agreement for everywhere outside London. Cost of living is not identical so why should salary be.

It makes no economic sense when the private sector pays salaries based on supply and demand for the NUT to state that a teacher in Burnley (average 20% deposit for a house = 14,470) and Reading (20% of average price = 39,789) should get paid the same take home.

As you get the internal magazines etc what argument does the NUT give for that position. As for performance measurement for bonuses what is wrong with using aggregate Value added score ? If you know the start point and end point you can measure progress and therefore see who is delivering results, yes there will be some oddities but with 30 kids in a class I reckon bonuses of -3%,0%, +3%, 6% or 9% based on average progress could be easily calculated.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:32 AM
Chatter Box

Wurzel - I am a NUT mainly becuase its an effective requirement to be in a union for legal support. Policies such as national pay scales (but not london) make little sense to me; but I don't get to pick and choose the priorities.
As for value added - all that happens is that each institution in the chain tries to downgrade the previous achievement and elevate what's acheived in the institution. None of the grades or levels acheived actually tell you much about the student - just about the ability of the institution to game the system.

Chopper - actually, I can't even be bothered. Just your normal rant that misses the point entirely and then subjects us to boring and irrelevent biographical crap.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
Wurzel - I am a NUT mainly becuase its an effective requirement to be in a union for legal support. Policies such as national pay scales (but not london) make little sense to me; but I don't get to pick and choose the priorities.
As for value added - all that happens is that each institution in the chain tries to downgrade the previous achievement and elevate what's acheived in the institution. None of the grades or levels acheived actually tell you much about the student - just about the ability of the institution to game the system.

Chopper - actually, I can't even be bothered. Just your normal rant that misses the point entirely and then subjects us to boring and irrelevent biographical crap.
No, I didn't miss the point. You are a selfish boring cunt, fucking greedy as well. It is you teachers that are missing the point.

The cold hard fact is that a hell of a lot of teachers are failing miserably. They allow kids to leave school, without the basic minimum of literacy and numeracy skills, to enable them to get some sort of job. By the time a kid leaves formal education, he should be ready to take his/her first steps into the big wide world. Very few of them are ready and it is teachers to blame.

Start doing the job properly, treat every child as an individual, match his or her needs to lessons. Stop fucking about calling subjects by different names and putting priority on PC bullshit, such as teaching white Anglo Saxon kids about being a muslim. START FUCKING TEACHING. Make sure our kids leave school with the basic knowledge and skills they NEED, NOT what a bunch of left wing sad fucks think they need. No white Anglo Saxon kid needs to learn anything about being a muslim, or a queer, but they do need to know how to read, write and do their sums.

In the real world you have to match performance with demands. You bunch of left wing sad fucks are only interested in what the country will cough up to those of you that have not earned it. YOU NUT members are more interested in yourselves, than doing your job properly. If you can't hack it, then get the fuck out of the profession. You knew the score when you became a "Teacher". You cannot expect the rules to change after you join. If you are a good teacher, you will always have work and an income. If you want your income to increase, then work harder, achieve higher results and you may have a case to plead.

Chopper

WELCOME TO GREAT BRITAIN.
WE ARE FULL UP, SO FUCK OFF.