100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 19-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Default Harris rebuild on Isle Of Harris

Well the project train keeps on rolling. Keeps me mentally sane-ish having a project always on the go n distresses me.

Harris`s turn at mo. Had her 13-14 years now and been evolving along the way really. Was my daily transport for many years and been on touring holidays, etc 2-up with luggage. Been everywhere really in all weathers. Few bits been updated over the years as they’ve worn out or I`ve come across them cheap, etc.

Z1B lump, 998cc overbore, raised compression, welded/balanced crank, new/old stock head with light polishing, stainless valves, kent cams, 29mm carbs, etc, etc. Pulls like a train for an old girl. Enough grunt to keep me happy anyway. Love this bike to bits n probably be buried with it. Lol.

Before strip down. Looks ok but was a bit rough close up n a lot of bits I wasn’t happy with finish of, etc. Looked like a rat-bike compared to my tubby bandit so time to pimp it up a bit. :-

Drove it onto bike bench 2 weeks or so ago n started pulling it apart. Few rusty bolts n usual crap with an all-weather bike. Got to this stage and couldn’t get last engine bolt out.:-

2` stainless bolt passing through (2x) 4” alloy frame spacers was stuck solid even though copper greased it to death last time it was out years back.:-

Got a hacksaw blade into gap between engine and frame and holding blade in my hand I could wiggle it up n down ½” at a time only. 2 evenings were spent out there on my knees sawing away at it. Lol. Chopped through it and then with a sledge hammer in one hand and a drift in the other I spent 3 hours hammering away at the 2 halves till eventually came out. Feckin solid! :-

My mate Emoe from Haydencycles knocked me up a high grade stainless replacement for when goes back together. Bike wont be seeing same winter weather nowadays so should never get as bad again.:-

Old 19-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Jedi Chat Master

A lot of years of bare alloy engine and living 50` from sea and the engine was a mess in areas I couldn’t reach to clean normally. :-

Solid crud too. Built my own soda blaster and wouldn’t even touch it. Tried spraygun cleaner (100% solvent) and didn’t touch it. Only thing that shifts stuff between fins was a small screwdriver and lots of hours. Degreased whole lump to start with anyway. :-

Got 2 cans of Mr Muscle oven cleaner sitting here and buying a powerwasher tomorrow (which I needed anyway) so should be able to get it cleaned up and sprayed shortly.

Was over mainland other weekend on my trike getting its mot n doing a bike show. Came back with these parts for it for free off some good mates. :-

Old forks were bin fodder. Top halves were pitted to death, bottoms had cracks around seals, inside bushes, etc shot too. Useless yet bike still handled really well on these twisty mountain tracks.

Off a TZR250 reverse cylinder import model. Wasn’t sure about them seeing as theyre off a smaller bike but theyre just as big as gsxr ones and make my 80`s original ones look like toothpicks. Lol. Twice as stiff too so should be fine. Harris is a lightweight bike anyway so these should be a vast improvement over old ones. Same length too which is a bonus.

Pitting on lowers is about 5 spots this size. :-

Cant feel them and need a magnifying glass to find em so Im happy. Good change of seals n oil, etc and should be fine. Free is my favourite price.

Wheel spindle is off something else but fits threads. Needs a spacer one end as slack in fork leg end.:-

Old 19-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Have some nice billet risers already on too. Was planning on clip-ons but with my t-rex stubby arms straight bars are much better option. Probably make some billety ones same as my bandit for it as really like the look/feel of them.:-

Drifted yoke stem out of old yokes yesterday and brought forks/wheel/spindle in house to get a proper measure up. :-

By pure chance the wheel spindle fits perfectly in wheel bearings which is a bonus. :-

Bit more wheel/disc clearance than old forks too.:-

Measured up for spacers for top/bottom yokes, fork leg end and wheel spacers. Got a mate sending me some bar scraps up to make them out of. Got a wee lathe in shed so should be able to turn them all up myself.

My wife spent several days with wire brush on the grinder/drill buzzing back the frame. No blasters or anything on my island. Everythings a PITA to do up here as have to do everything yourself. About 10 layers of smoothrite and aerosol paints, etc. Just chopped off the rusted in bolts and drilled/ re-tapped few holes, etc so ready to go.:-

Underneath paint is flaky nickel coating with a fair texture to it. Painted over it several times over the years with no problems so not worried about it. Main thing is getting a smooth finish this time as has always looked a bit crap in brush painted finish to hide the roughness and edges of plating. I spray for a living these days though so do it properly this time. Several layers of high build primer and smear of filler if needs be to smooth out roughest edges and should come up smooth. Planning on metalflake finish anyway so any small flaws will be lost under good 1mm+ of flake. lol

Got frame in sitting room this afternoon scraping n chipping out last of paint from corners and recesses. Thankfully my wife doesn’t mind bike bits everywhere. lol
Old 19-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Jedi Chat Master

General plan is keep the same general look as love the way it is, just finish everything better. Go through each piece and re-work it in same way as I did with tubby bandit really. Remake most of alloy parts to a better /neater finish. Engine silver with black gloss cases. Homemade belt driven alternator up one side using some toothed belts/alloy gears I had sitting about. Sorta like this.:-

Tuck that bandit alternator I picked up into gap by carbs.:-

A matching setup on other side of bike with a belt driven mag looking setup (more to come on that). Carbon fibre guards with of some sort for them both. Few carbon fibre detailing pieces here n there.

Clutch casing on mine is cracked n knackered so going for a 80`s endurance style of lifter setup as love the look of them.:-

General red/black/silver colour scheme and detailed to death with lots of home-made parts as Im a tight-ass womble. Lol. Paintwork wise I`ve got paintscheme worked out in my head already. Lol. While away before get to that stage though. Try push the boat out n do something really wild on it.

So yeah 2 weeks in and updates to follow when get summit done really. Not in any huge rush as want the end result right. Doing an hour a day or so, so things will keep chugging along.
Old 28-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Jedi Chat Master

My wife spent 2 days or so with wire brushes on grinder and drill taking off ½” of built up aerosol and hammerite paint off frame, along with rust patches, etc. I spent a whole week of evenings scraping into corners with a knife and screwdriver to get it spotless. Lot of hours, but no blasters or anything on my island. Finally got it to bare metal and the old nickel plating which is stuck solid. Anything loose came off with grinder and steel brush wheel. :-

Coated it all in Kurust treatment to be sure rust is neutralized. Built up several coats of high build 2K primer today in between work stuff. :-

Kept throwing it on till started to sag/run, etc. Wasn’t being fussy though tbh as only using primer as a leveler/filler of sorts to get rid of edges of nickel plating vs. steel tube. :-

Close up though and the ridges are very feint and leveling out nicely.

Going to sit and sand it back next few evenings in sitting room. Try level out things a bit more and remove overspray dust, etc. Reckon if repeat this process a few times I`ll get the tubes pretty smooth. Concentrating on outside visible faces more really. Going for metalflake finish anyway so if can get it reasonably smooth then flake will cover anything small tbh.

Ordering work paint next couple days so I`ll get some etch primer too for engine and can get that blasted n painted soon hopefully. Friggin DIY is eating all spare time at mo, but good to get some housey shit done too.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Built some fences this weekend and spent good 10 hours or so in sitting room sanding back frame and getting tubes whipped into shape. :-

Taken sodding ages, but close up the spars are tubular and smooth. You`d never know just how rough it was before now. :-

Another couple coats of primer (lighter this time) and a light sand and stick some black basecoat on and see where we`re up to. Make the decision as to whether going with original gloss black plan, or sticking to metalflake plan if theres still visable roughness. Decisions, decisions. Getting somewhere slowly. Knew the frame/engine refurb were going to eat serious hours though.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Getting bit sick of frame refurb now. Lol. Been bout 30-40 hours all-in so far. Put couple of coats of black basecoat on tonight though and the hard works sure as hell paid off. Nice smooth frame rails, no flaky nickel plating ridges, no rust, no dings, just proper looking! No clearcoat on it yet, just basecoat. :-

Few wee nibs to sand out n touch up, etc but looks good. Was planning on metalflake over the top, but seeing the tubes turning out so good Im tempted to revert to my original plan n go gloss black frame. Easier for touch-ups down the line from stone chips/rust, etc. too.
Old 20-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Got my frame 2k clear coated. Nice n shiny gloss black.:-

Spent an evening cleaning up bearing surfaces and running tap through threaded holes, etc.

Moved onto engine bolts/plates, and the spacers, etc. Well weathered n chipped/bashed to fook. :-

Bolts cleaned up fine and the alloy parts came up well with a few evenings of sitting on doorstep enjoying the sunshine. Bit of a file, then sand paper, metal polish n some elbow grease and came up like new parts which is what Im after with it all.:-

Ordered some 6 pence each (inc delivery, lol) stainless steel washers off Egay. :-

Drilled 6 holes and a bit of a sand n polish and got myself some trickish looking washers for next to nothing. I like em anyway. :-

The 6 hole thing is something that’s going to be repeated throughout the bike on the belt drive pulleys each side, and dozens of washers on the mechanical bits n bobs throughout the bike. Made 5 so far so only another several dozen to make as I go. OCD anyone!? Hoping the attention to detail will pay off though once all together. Not much hidden on this bike once together so want all the small areas to tie in and look good.

Builds gonna be slow as shite Im afraid. Pushing with DIY stuff on house/garden, etc at mo too. Just bought a tatty 125cc supermoto/trial bike needing engine rebuild (and full cleanup rebuild) too which is not for my eldest lad when he turns 17 next year. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Busy, busy. Got my trike to rebuild and a totrod to build too down the line.

That’s the next few years of boredom sorted. lol
Old 21-09-2012, 08:22 AM
Need to Get out More!

Old 28-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Updates a bit slow Im afraid but getting somewhere.

Got sidetracked as picked up a very cheap 125 m/x bike which Im secretly rebuilding for our eldests 17th next year. Rough as hell but was at the right price and local which isn’t easy up here.

Everything on it was rusted to death and fooked.:-

Engine was interesting. Wheres the other valve? :-

Ahh there it is. Lol :-

Been slogging away at it painting/greasing/rebuilding every last switch and replacing every fastener with stainless, etc. At rolling chassis now though so back to splitting time with harris build again thankfully. :-

Between that and spending couple weeks of evenings and weekends under my rat hearse to get it through its mot Ive struggled to get time at the build which has really F**ked me off tbh.

Been chipping away at it in evenings when I can though here and there.

Made a stepped spacer up to mate the harris spindle with the new bottom yoke.:-

Another couple of spacers and washers turned up saw the top yoke fitted up too.:-

Old 28-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Found a shitty old diesel piston in the garage which gave me an idea. :-

Spent a whole weekend on my baby lathe turning inside of it out to fit the tacho inside. Piston was bigger than the chuck of my lathe and crown was few inches thick so took sodding hours! Lol. :-

Going to mount it in centre of yokes. Not going to run a speedo as not really needed up here. More interested in the engine revs when out for a run anyway.:-

Going to make up a big chunky set of billet bars and grips like I did with my turbo bandit (have a look if forgotten what they look like). Sorta like this.:-

Old 28-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Jedi Chat Master

And going for single headlight too for smaller look.:-

Got some 22mm solid alloy bar off Egay other day to form the inners from. Also ground off the ignition barrel mounts, etc from top yoke and sanded yoke/risers/piston, etc ready for polishing up. :-

Need to make some spacers for central section to support piston, etc and out sections/grips, etc but chipping away at it.

Got my metal stand back from under the 125 m/x now too so can get the engine sprayed up. Only stand I had that was strong enough to take the weight of the lump and at a decent height for spraying. Lol.
Old 28-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Fork Stanchions - easy fix if they leak (with such tiny pits on yours i'd doubt it though) a drop of supaglue - leave it to set then dress it Gently till flush

amazingly my ol gt750 Kwak courier bike got through every MOT without problems using that , sometimes the seals lasted a whole year aswell

Yours ain't even on the noticeable scale in comparison
Old 12-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Big update as forgot to do it recently. Lol. Oops. Been busy in garage instead of on pc Im afraid.

Made this little frame bung on the lathe as original plastic/rubber one was crap. :-

Started mocking up my clutch lifter setup in finest tradition of cereal boxes. Lol. :-

Made up a little tacho block-off plate for engine. Internal o-ring so should seal fine. Original plate that was on there was weeping oil for years. Tacho on mine is electric anyway. :-

After weeks of evenings chipping away at alloy corrosion with screwdrivers and wire brushes I cracked out the oven cleaner and powerwasher. :-

Few go`s at that and some solvents and had a nice clean bare alloy block.:-

Over xmas when I was shut down work wise I sprayed the engine. Getting full coverage was a PITA as all of engine is on view in harris frame, even the sump, etc. Had to spray underneath of engine and then once hardened do the top half of engine. All got 2 coats of etch primer, 2K primer, metallic silver basecoat and, 2K clear. Came up really well I think. :-

Old 12-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Continued

Soooo much better between engine fins than before! :-

Chopped out first parts of clutch setup in chunky alloy plate using my CNC machine……………just kidding. Bloody hours with my trusty cheap grinder, drill and a hand file. Slow work but gets decent results if patient enough. :-

Re-made the bracket and spacers for my idler sprocket setup. Proper turned alloy spacers instead of stacked washers. New bearing also as was a bit notchy. :-

Old 12-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Continued

Unusual maybe but saved me loads of hassle. Its an idea me an Mr Yantosh came up with many moons ago. Chain was gouging swingarm on the bike and eating through any chain runner I made in days. Swingarm runs at fair angle but any lower and wheels eating into subframe. Geometry was all wrong too as chain was tightening up over bumps. I snapped (3x) 630 pitch chain links in couple of days humpback bridge jumping. lol

Not had a single chain problem in god knows how many years with new setup.

35th birthday the other day so didn’t get much done other than starting another bit of my clutch setup.

Bubblewrapped frame up today to protect it while putting it on engine.:-

Was stressing like mad as frame sits damn close to engine round front/sides of head. Thought I was going to scratch it to hell getting it on there. :-

I was stressed to hell and sweating like mad. With the bubble wrap though it took me and my wife all of 10 seconds to slip it over and get couple bolts slid through. Was just a case of pulling/cutting the bubblewrap out afterwards. Sorted! My wife said `Well that was a bit anticlimactic` in a sarcastic voice. lol . Really happy with it as all super clean. :-

Old 12-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Continued

Hoping to get clutch lifter arm finished tomorrow which is last bit of clutch to make. Not far off with it now.

Front forks are stripped and just waiting on seals/oil, etc for them. :-

I`ll keep chipping away at assembling and cleaning them up. Can get front end on then along with my new bars, etc I made before. Should look nice.

After that I`ll be taking a small break from it for a week or two. Got my new headers through for my turbo bandit from Mr. Yantosh so need to fit and fettle them and get the bike up and running ready for summer thrashing. :-

Old 12-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Chat Virgin

Fine work mate a credit to you, :i think the tacho nacelle is a very clever idea.
Old 25-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Continued.....

Works smooth and slightly lighter weight than original setup too which is nice. Still 10x heavier than a new bike as running heaviest springs I could find to eliminate clutch slip. Used to it though. Happy with new lifter setup. Seems fine.

Dug carbs out of the parts box. Bloody filthy and covered in years of crud! :-

Spent several evenings in front of tv stripping them down and cleaning them out internally. The outside castings were quite rough but after several hours with degreaser and a fine brass brush they scrubbed up well. Used 400 grit wet and dry for the tops and bottoms to give a brushed finish. Didn’t see point in polishing parts as really rough alloy finish on them. Easy to keep clean this way too as carbs quite hidden away on complete bike. Clean and useable. :-

The bellmouths were really battered at rear edges. Looked online at mesh covers, etc but stupid money!

Had a cheap ass womble moment. Lol. Chocloate spread jar lid and a scalpel. File and sand edges. :-

Old sheet of fiberglass aluminium mesh I had lying around and some big o-ring things out of random box. :-

Old 25-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Continued.....

Clip tightly onto bellmouth ends. Once painted up gloss black or something they should look alright I think. No-one will ever know theyre jar lids, except you lot. Lol :-

Should do the job and keep bugs out of there.
Old 23-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Car oil cooler sanded/polished up, New bracket made, stainless fasteners throughout, etc. :-

Made new side billet crush sections with holes drilled to match bars, clutch lifter, etc.

Re-made my homemade oil cooler take-offs at back of head. Tight squeeze once carbs go on with clutch cable running across now too but all in there.

Polished up bellmouths and my pikey jam jar lids painted up a nice pearl red which I’ll be using for other small parts on bike such as brake disc centres, etc. Carbs cleaned up and stainless fasteners throughout them too.

Old section of a damaged carbon fibre hugger chopped up and sanded/clear coated in 2K. Better fit than original rusty chrome one and weighs nowt while looking better. Be a few carbon fibre bits n bobs on bike when done.

Where Im up to. :-

Old 23-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Continued....

Slow going at mo, but chipping away at it. Currently battling to tidy up swingarm and sidestand parts to get them on.

Sharing time between this, rebuilding every room of house, fitting double glazing, and of course turbo bandit on the road guff. That’s up n running n boosting fine, etc after having it apart n together dozens of times fine tuning/changing things. Wheelspinning like hell in the slippery winter weather n single track gravel roads. :-

Turbos smoking like hell though and not worth repairing. Thankfully turbo guru Dave (FBM turbo fame) came to my rescue and is sending me up a IHI VF10 turbo for it off a Subaru legacy. Be a good match if ever move up to a 1200 engine too. Waiting for that to arrive then switch back to that and alter mounts, etc to make it fit n should be on road again for summer.

Only free time saver I’ve got in my favour is my wife made us scrap our car so no working on that all the time anymore. Lot of time and money each year saved which is cool. Bikes n trike as daily transport again and couldn’t be happier!

Spent extra money on a shitload of metal roof sheeting to re-roof my shed and garage. Warm n dry building very soon. Happy days.
Old 23-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Hi guys. Been a while since updated this thread. Been too busy with life, but I`ll keep updating when I do until it’s a finished bike.

Took some time out to rattle on with house renovations as felt a bit burnt out with bike building constantly. 6 months of every evening and weekend spent roofing, cementing, joinery, electrics, plumbing, decorating, etc has me sick of it and ready to build again through winter. Lol. Main benefit is I re-roofed my garage this summer so got dry workspace! YES!

Been blasting about on my turbo bandit thing all summer too. Done thousands and thousands of miles on it in all weathers. Back n forth on ferry to mainland, etc too touring with my wife. Great long distance mile muncher n going well. –

Built this 125 m/x bike for my oldest son`s 17th birthday as a surprise. As you can see he was a little bit happy when got handed the keys. Been out teaching him how to ride it last wee while. Up for his test next few weeks. –

Bought another one to do up at somepoint for my daughters 17th. TS125R with a low mileage GS125 4 stroke lump in with leccy start, etc. Got the rest of the parts for it stashed away in bathroom. Lol –

Been back onto the Harris build last few weeks doing some more.

Swingarm was chewed up in places from chains getting spat off over the years and some idiot previous owner running it without a chain slider. Loads of tool/stone dings too. –

Not the sort of swingarm I could just throw in the bin and get another of though. Lots and lots of hours of remedial work later and looks like new. –

Old 23-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Bought some carbon fibre sheet and stainless fixings from Egay. –

Sprayed the rear R1 shock ends metallic silver to match the engine, etc. Bought some offcuts of neoprene rubber off Egay and made a shock cover to tidy up chipped bright yellow spring which I wanted to hide. Gives it a nice neat look I think. –

Cut out the carbon fibre sheet into a new swingarm splashguard, airbrushed on a Harris logo and 2K cleared it. –

The chrome sidestand bracket was rusty so painted that same silver and made some more drilled washers to tie in with rest. –

Old 23-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Spent several evenings cutting down and reshaping big block of alloy into a polished sidestand, again to tie in with other drilled bits. –

Bottom end angled to sit level-ish on ground. Old bar end weight cleaned up and used as toe lever. –

Splashguard in place with more drilled washers n stuff. –

Love the way it looks. –

Used some more neoprene material and some carbon fibre offcuts as a flexible splashguard to cut down on rear wheel spray to carbs. –

Chain adjusters were bashed to hell with hammer marks, etc to cleaned them up on lathe and polished them up. –

Old 23-09-2013, 05:37 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Liking the way its looking. –

The USD forks I was going to use turned out to be fit for the bin when I was rebuilding them. Were some bad gouges and scrapes in the sliders inside the fork legs. Teflon coated bushes were shot and had chewed up sliders amongst other problems. Just not worth rebuilding at all. Thankfully they were free in the first place.

Got some fireblade forks for it off Egay for £90-odd delivered. Turned up this weekend while I was away at a bike rally on the isle of Skye on the turbo bandit (even won a trophy for it which I was chuffed about). Exact forks I really wanted for it so real happy to get them for a decent price. Always loved the way they look, and good handling units too. In good condition and just need painted/polished lowers before ready to go in yokes that are already on. Test fit this evening to make sure. –

Nice and chunky forks and RWU too which is really what I wanted. Few spacers on lathe and an old wheel spindle I have will fit too. –

Spindle slots into my front wheel so should all go together fine with a bit of lathe work.

After a bit of measuring Im seriously considering a mechanical anti-dive setup like the early AMA and endurance racers. Got `just` enough space I think on front wheel spindle to pull it off. Would work nicely with my endurance style clutch lifter I already made.

Wheels stripped down. My one off discs, etc rusty from sitting in damp shed. They`ll get cleaned up and re-painted next few weeks though along with forks/wheels. –

Wheels need same treatment. Weathered to death and 3mm of paint in several layers. Paint stripper didn’t touch it so Ive ordered up a pile of wire brushes for the drill to get the paint off. Get them painted and polished back up like new. –

So yeah back on the case. Going to be a few weeks of sanding/polishing/painting now so have forks/wheels ready to go on. Concentrating on getting it to a rolling chassis stage basically.
Old 30-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Busy on my days off yesterday/today replacing turbo bandit`s rear tyre and stripping/rebuilding forks with heavier oil, new seals, and general fettling. Off touring again on it next weekend so need it ready.

Still battling the tidying up of forks and wheels, etc on Harris ready for paint.

Did get a few minutes to balance things in place on the Harris to get an idea of how the belt drive alternator will work. Be a matching belt driven distributer setup other side, as one spinny belt just isnt enough. lol. Got a lot of parts to make from scratch over next few months!

Old 02-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Still waiting on wire brushes for drill to come in mail so I can clean up wheels. Forks will be painted next week with some work stuff Im prepping, and bolted in place though.

Last couple evenings I made an electrics tray. Scrap of stainless sheet salvaged out of local skip. Lol. –

Few stainless bolts and brackets and job done. Gaps front n back for cables in and out. Might have to drill a few holes for mounting relays n stuff but no biggy. –

Side plates are just frame infils really to hide the electrics from view. Offcuts of the carbon fibre sheet I used on swingarm. Tidies things up a bit and can always drill holes for switches if needs be. –

Simple little part, but one more off the huge `MAKE ME` list. Lol. Need to keep chipping away at the build each evening from now on or its not going to see the road next year. So many parts to make from scratch.

Next pics should be the forks n wheels/discs, etc cleaned up and ready to start piecing together on the lathe.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Long couple of weeks here with seemingly little to show for it. Must have spent over 30 hours of work getting the wheels, discs and forks into shape. Seems a ridiculous amount of hours, but were in a complete mess, wheras 99% new looking now.

Forks and discs cleaned up and painted. Forks are back in bike now. –

Spent a lot of evenings sitting on doorstep with a screwdriver and butter knife scraping the 2-3mm of old paint layers off the wheels. Wire brushed on drill just didn’t get into much of it really. –

Next problem was countless tyre lever marks and deep scratches on the rims. Another few hours with dremmel and sand paper levelling them out as best as possible. –

Finally got there with em. 2K black and shiny. Sort of hammered finish to them, but that’s the casting so best I can do. Disc adaptors on. –

Back together –

Found some piston valve caps kicking about in the shed on a shelf so threw them on too. Match the piston tacho surround and mastercylinder, etc. –

Old 04-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Continued....

Next job was trying to get random spindle to fit the blade forks. Turned down the fat end to fit in one side of the forks. –

Found a huge nut and welded it onto the end of the shaft. Arc welders great at getting a lot of heat into things. Filled the nut up with molten weld and then shaped it back to a nice nut shape with the grinder. –

Turned up an alloy spacer for the other fork leg. –

Found a random nut for the threaded end and got a spindle that fits. –

Next thing Im on to is ordering up bearings for the wheels. Planning on making up a mechanical anti-dive setup like the old 80`s endurance/race bikes so need to draw that up and figure out what bronze buses/bearings/track rod ends I need as all come from same supplier as wheel bearings so makes sense to order together and save on postage. Need a couple bits of 12mm alloy plate too. This sort of thing is what im after. –

Got most of the parts and fittings worked out on paper as to whats attaching where, etc. Shouldn’t be too hard, just a lot of fiddly and accurate fabrication really. The one bit that was stumping me was the attachment to the back of the lower yoke. Nothing there at all to bolt to. Did look at steering damper brackets as an alternative, but stupidly expensive! Had a route about the shed and came across the old fork brace off the old 80`s forks I binned. –