100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 07-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony
Default advice from the pro/good welders needed

ok so Im at the stage of in the next week pulling the trike down to be fully welded up

the guy that was going to do it has basically said that I drop it off, and could be 6 months maybe! LOL

so I just spoke with a local place, coded and all that ol stuff, hes telling me that Ive built the frame wrong as theres no gaps!

the joins in the tube are snug, ends were fishmouthed and it was all designed to fit together nicely

he mumbled that it wasnt a problem, go in with cutting discs and grinding discs, cut this about grind that about, needs a 2mm rod, should have left a 2mm gap between the joins

he didnt see the problem with cutting the tubes apart, grinding the ends about and putting it back together

have I dropped a major bollock here?

ok so this isnt all of it obviously but this is how pretty much all the joins are, milled or filed to as near as damnit perfect fit

if Im going to be told that this cant be welded up properly, then Im going to scrap the whole lot and just give up LOL

looks like I might get away with having it TIG welded, bloody pissed off that I didnt realise you have to make these things with goping great gaps, goes against my basic instinct of building things

never mind.

Last edited by devon-tony; 07-03-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Need to Get out More!

I wont even pretend to be a good welder but could you not just chamfer the edges to get good penetration, the whole gap business is new to me!
Old 08-03-2011, 12:11 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

gap thing is new to me, the weld should penetrate both parts to be welded regardless of a chamfer even i would have thought?
Old 08-03-2011, 06:28 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

what is the wall thickness of the tubing?
Old 08-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

2.5mm or 3mm off the top of my head

sounds like it can be TIG welded, hopefully get it pulled apart next week, and take it to someone else, let them see it and see what they say.

otherwise it will be one just another one of them unfinished trike projects on ebay LOL let someone else worry about it.

was so looking forward to finishing this trike, taken every penny I have and lots that I dont have, now I really just dont care, think I will just stick to buying bikes, if it hasnt been built properly, hey I wont actually know so wont be bothered LOL
Old 08-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Jedi Chat Master

What about brazing instead?
Old 08-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Need to Get out More!

Now i aint no pro welder, but the way i see this is that you aint got a problem at all. Its true that a good pre weld joint should be chamfered to ease good penetration but i dont see this as critical..A good welder will know how to control a "weld pool" to create the desired weld strength...i have no doubt whatsoever that my buddy Simon (Welder Supreme and Framebuilder of many top customs) could weld up your Trike...if you PM me i will fwd his contact details.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon-tony View Post
ok so Im at the stage of in the next week pulling the trike down to be fully welded up

the guy that was going to do it has basically said that I drop it off, and could be 6 months maybe! LOL

so I just spoke with a local place, coded and all that ol stuff, hes telling me that Ive built the frame wrong as theres no gaps!

the joins in the tube are snug, ends were fishmouthed and it was all designed to fit together nicely

he mumbled that it wasnt a problem, go in with cutting discs and grinding discs, cut this about grind that about, needs a 2mm rod, should have left a 2mm gap between the joins

he didnt see the problem with cutting the tubes apart, grinding the ends about and putting it back together

have I dropped a major bollock here?

ok so this isnt all of it obviously but this is how pretty much all the joins are, milled or filed to as near as damnit perfect fit

if Im going to be told that this cant be welded up properly, then Im going to scrap the whole lot and just give up LOL

looks like I might get away with having it TIG welded, bloody pissed off that I didnt realise you have to make these things with goping great gaps, goes against my basic instinct of building things

never mind.
Never heard such shite! You've done a great job, some joins may be better with a 45 degree shamfer but a decent welder would be delighted to see these joins. As its a frame it should be jigged, at least in the relation between the headstock and the axle. Welding puts lots of forces into the metal that will twist it during cooling hence the need for jigging. Your joints will help reduce these forces. Brazing the joints will prevent 99% of the distortion and would be the way I'd go with such a well prepared frame. Most builders will shy away from brazing because of the prep work needed which you seem to have done
Old 08-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

if 3mm walls i would want a chamfer on the ends. when mig'n 6mm plate butt welds i set a gap of 2mm
but gas bronze welding we aim for no gaps
Old 10-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Chat Virgin

Smile

frame looks good to weld to me (im simon dixies mate ) youve done the hard work by not leaving any gaps i dont do champhers as you only have to replace it with filler rod and theres nothing stronger than the tube its self my no is 07796851073
Old 10-03-2011, 10:21 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

My personal approach would be to braze that, probably cos I'm old fasioned But Malcolm at Metal Malarkey engineering tends to go the brasing route too (I did 2 weeks work expirience there a fair while ago) As I recall he reconed that it was more tolerant of vibration or something of that ilk. Personally I just enjoy using the oxy acet kit.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:26 AM

cheers guys.

hopefully Rob will be coming to weld it up for me, just waiting to get money for new wire and gas bottle, near 100 for that

just been given a car so can move the frame about now, but dont actually know if it will fit in there LOL

thanks Gringo, Im down in North Devon, usually miles from everyone LOL

I will see how this pans out, brazing is totally alien to me, I dont have gas gear and wouldnt have a clue how to braze, but I agree it would be the option I would take, along with TIG if I had the gear or ability.

tried to find a TIG welding college course, but nothing, and they wonder why industry is going down the pan LOL