100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 27-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Default Project Budget CafeFighter

Well not finished my `project budget dragqueen` quite as yet as you can see from my build thread, but Im not far off done and the remaining stuff to do is mainly buying parts which I don’t have dosh for at minute. So I thought sod it might as well think about next project in line for me and make a start stripping down and planning it out.

Bike in question is my long suffering daily ride ZX6R fighter. Was standard till hit a stag years back which wiped out cosmetics. Lol. 3 days n £50 rebuild got it on road again as below.:-

Stayed that way for many years being my daily transport through rain n 1` of snow n worst of Scottish highlands weather. 800 mile weekends touring with my wife, etc, etc. Lived outside mostly too, yet never broke down once. Got a garage now and work from home airbrushing so no need to commute any more. Failed its mot recently as swingarm bearings shot so using it as a good opportunity to give the bike some much needed tlc as heading towards ratbike status as getting bit rough round the edges.

What Im aiming to do is make it minimal and light. At mot it weighed in at about 190kg with 2/3 tank of fuel which is already way below 207kg kerb weight of original bike. Has had some jetting n free flowing can so pushing out 100-105 bhp at wheel. Great daily bike as super reliable. Still running original battery and cables and clutch, etc it left factory with 13 years ago! Lol. Had head and sump apart and like a new engine inside. Not even any cam chain stretch. Great handling. Constantly falling off edge of back tyre 2-up with luggage. Good gas mileage even. Perfect bike for twisty little mountain roads up here as nimble n light and geared right down. Cant fault it really. Time to spruce it up n improve it tho. Muwahahahahaha……………

With the heavy stainless guns/rockets n theyre supporting 5mm thick steel stripped off it should drop weight a lot below the 190kg its at now, by at least 10kg if not a lot more. With the bodywork off you can see its pretty lightweight potential.:-

What Im aiming to turn it into is a minimal concept bike/café racer sorta fighter. Practical as no polishing to keep on top of and live 50` from ocean, so black frame, etc. Just a get on n ride kinda bike for everyday use n shopping runs, etc, but still funky. Something along these rough paint doodles from my brainstorming sessions. Twin stacked lights between front nose fairing side plates sat behind mesh for flush unit. All under rear seat, etc flush plate. Side fairings, etc thin alloy plate so light. Rest of bike what Ive already got to make it a cheap ass build. Blank colour to show shapes better.:-

And the colour scheme Im thinking is top of my list so far.;-

Green`s probably in metallic or flakes from Kawasaki green to british racing green or thereabouts. Double yellow racing stripes down the top/middle of bike a la Lotus.:-

Bikes now on my workbench as bandits a rolling bike now n not far off a running bike which`ll be very cool. Time to work.

Ive opted to not strip bike just yet, but to concentrate on getting subframe/body panel mods done n dusted and other parts made up, so then its just strip, paint/polish all the parts and assemble without any hassle as everything will be made already and bolt on.

How Im gonna work back end/subframe without and fancy posh Tig welding gear to weld aluminium is to keep top spars of original subframe which gives me front seat mountings already and can use existing seat and build around it. Remove bottom spars of subframe like below.:-

Old 27-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Continued..........

And build up new seat unit in sheet steel cos can weld it together myself. No alloy welding services or anything to fall back on up here on a remote island. To get strength back into subframe Im going to add in some triangulation again which is what little funky angular subframe sections above will be hiding. Something along these lines which bolts to main frame chunky crossmember and braces up to 2 cross members on original subframe top section. Roughly like this doodle.:-

Made a rough start tonight in an hour or so. Stripped panels/undertray n all crap off subframe to get a proper look. Shitloads of black boxes as per sportsbikes, but there`ll be loads of nooks n crannies to hide them away in on re-assembly. All clipped out of way for now.:-

Bare subframe finally found. Lol.:-

Frame crossmember is pretty major so good place to work from for subframe re-inforcement.

Going to weld up an assembly that bolts onto shock mounting, etc in thickwall steel so plenty strong. Sort of like this.:-

Old 27-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Continued..........

Which will run up to the back crossmember at back of seat.:-

And up to crossmember just at back of fuel tank in above pic. I`ll add in webbing where possible too to make sure its plenty strong. Should be more than up to job I reckon judging by how flimsy original subframe lower mounts are.

This setup will give me the low profile lower subframe run Im after so can be hidden behind little angular sections on frame.:-

I`ll then chop off lower run of subframe and clean everything up leaving top run in position. I`ll keep section behind front seat as has plenty of handy mounts already there I can use to mount battery box and electrics tray, etc, etc.:-

Well that’s the rough plan for now. Progress might be slow right now as main priority is finishing `project budget dragqueen` off. Not much left to do on her now tho apart from spray a side scoop. After that its spending on last parts which I cant afford right now. Leaves me time to make a start on this project tho in meantime. Loads I can make and strip down without cash injection.

Here we go again! lol
Old 27-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Send a message via AIM to Choprocker Send a message via MSN to Choprocker

them are big lipsticks you got there, get through it a lot?
Old 27-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Yeah just at weekends.
Old 28-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quick hour tonight. Not a lot, but can get a lot done in little time. All adds up eventually like my bandit build. Spent good 10 minutes of it humming n hawing about chopping the subframe. One of those no going back moments for me. Not like theres anyone up here on my island that can alloy weld the bits back together if I change my mind. Needed bottom rails off tho to get access.

After the first slice tho worry was gone. Grinning like a manic grinder wielding maniac while my face got splattered in a hot aluminium shower. Pure bliss. Lol. Cut everything rough as can take flap disc on grinder to it later to tidy up rough edges properly and trim everything flush. Purely cut for access at moment. Fookin lower subframe alloy box section weak as fook once removed. Could bend it round my knee by hand!!! Shows how close they cut things on sportsbikes to save weight.

After the carnage n couple bits clamped in place.:-

Cut a bit of 2” x 1” thick wall (bout 2-3mm) steel box for in between back frame section. Nice snug fit between plates and sides of subframe rails to stop any potential movement. Clamped up in place with vice grips for now.:-

Cut a nice recess underneath too to add a bit more support strength. All helps. :-

Couple bolts through n be solid in there. :-

Placed another 2”x1” thickwall bit of box section in running down to shock mount on frame cross member. Only then realized the shock sits off centre by 10-odd mm. Weird, but not a problem. :-

Mitred it at bottom for better fit n strength. Couple tacks of weld for now to hold it together. I`ll weld up the whole assembly solid once done. :-

Old 29-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Tron bike...$35,000

http://www.bitterwallet.com/hands-up...otorbike/31516

John
Old 29-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Jedi Chat Master

John Bike.....£ whateversinskip.
Old 29-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Another hour or so tonight.

Cut a bit of the same box section diagonally to give better access to shock absorber bolt. Couple blobs secure it to end of main spar for moment. :-

Bit of grinding down n original fuel pump n filter mount should slot back onto its original position onto shock bolt too. Note insulation tape plaster where box section slipped on pillar drill n whacked me fat thumb. Doh! Lol.:-

Bit of same chunky 2`x1` box run up to frame spar at back of tank. Trianulgated with bit of 1`x1` for strength. Tacked again for now. :-

Need to cut out a bit of plate to weld to top so can bolt assembly to tank mounts along with tank on top of plate. Should make whole thing solid.:-

Hopefully get bit of plate cut out/drilled tomorrow evening n tacked on. Couple of holes for those bolts at back of assembly n that’s about it apart from final welding up.

Took assembly on n off few times making cuts, etc and its an absoloute F**k*r to get in n out of position as made everything so tight fitting as been welding it in place clamped up. Does go though with some brute force flexing remains of original subframe up few mm to slide it in. Better tight fit than sloppy loose tho end of the day. Once welded n cleaned up properly n bolted in place it can stay there. Lol.
Old 29-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
It looks fine a s a bit of sculpture but can you imagine seeing someone actually ride it? They would look like they were bumming the damn thing......

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 30-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Hour odd tonight got a bit of thick plate cut n drilled n tacked on. Cut down original little seat catch too, with tank sat back in place all bolts down tight to frame cross member as per original setup. :-

Back end drilled n bolted up to frame. Not structurally loaded the bolts, but stops any upwards flex or anything untowards. :-

Original front seat slides back into original mounts n position which saves hassle/cost of new mounts or seat, etc. Profile underneath looks right too. A lot more slimlined. Little angled sections at back of frame will angle inwards towards new subframe rail also which will makeit even more slimlined underneath visually.

Tried jumping up n down on seat and cant feel any flex or movement at all, even tho everything only tack welded at moment. Feels solid.:-

Was going to take off subframe at this point n weld up properly and neaten up edges, etc, but realized it now locates exactly in several planes, so nigh on impossible to remove with shock absorber bolt sticking up. I`ll wait till stripping down bike fully as then subframe will just slide out and can weld n neaten it all up then. Main thing is it fits n does its job. All welded into one assembly anyway so no worries.

Couple inch gap under front seat between seat n subframe onto which undertray will sit. Handy little gap to shove some of electrics black boxes in. :-

Loads of handy mounting points behind seat to mount bodywork and battery box solidly, etc. Could come in handy later on so leaving em all there for now. Might have to chop length back a bit as get seat unit mocked up, but nae probs with Mr. Grinder. Lol. :-

Unbolted a few odds n sods n already the bike has shrunk physically by miles. Loads of stuff to come off front of forks yet which will shrink it even more. :-

Suppose next stage is to neaten up back of frame where chopped off lower subframe rails n mockup little angled covers and seat, etc in cardboard and gaffer tape so can get accurate templates for steel sheet.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:05 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Nik

Reckon it's going look good, that.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Reckon so bud. Aiming along lines of original sketches at top. If can get somewhere in that vicinity then I`ll be happy. Summit visually very small/light n modern, yet a bit different to norm.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Flipping around the image above gives this.:-

Doodling that profile onto original sketch n looks pretty good to me anyway.:-

Old 04-10-2010, 07:57 AM
Banned

Should the angle of the top of the rear seat not match that of the tank and the swingarm wotsit or be close to them anyway? Love the design, but the fact that the upper edge of the seat sits at a completely different angle to everything else seems to break up the flow of the bike to me ...

Old 04-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Normally yeah bud, but for my design Im after back of seat looking like sloping vastly downwards in comparison to tank which slopes forwards a lot, to give that humpbacked look as per sketch.

If raise rear of seat up 6" or so to normal level then undertray would have to curve up to meet it resulting in big fat seat unit n just another race rep look. Sorta like 2nd cardboard mockup I did in Z stylee.

Not 100% decided yet between 2 setups tbh.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris View Post
Normally yeah bud, but for my design Im after back of seat looking like sloping vastly downwards in comparison to tank which slopes forwards a lot, to give that humpbacked look as per sketch.

If raise rear of seat up 6" or so to normal level then undertray would have to curve up to meet it resulting in big fat seat unit n just another race rep look. Sorta like 2nd cardboard mockup I did in Z stylee.

Not 100% decided yet between 2 setups tbh.
Fairy nuff.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Swear Ive spent a lot more time deciding on seat shape than took to build subframe. Lol. Way it goes sometimes with a build tho.

Decided in the end the seat cowl would stand out like sore thumb compared to rest of bodywork, and would always be just a seat cowl, so threw it in a corner. Lol.

Went back to single curve setup, trimmed right down by an inch or so with a narrower tapered rear edge, and angled down. Practicality not great, but going to make up an angled pillion seat pad that clips on, which restores seat angle to horizontal for occasions its needed. Rest of time I can have the look I want.

Rough mockup on bike. Front seat pad needs cut down by 3” I reckon to match up with bike doodles below. :-

Mocked up on original sketch. Reckon it works. Not going to be for everyone, but Im liking it. Angled back café style with a nice aggressive spike profile. Angular look matches in well with rest. :-

Maybe sharpen up the lower panels a bit to match angles.

Still playing about with it all, but reckon it’s the way forwards. Just working through the creative process with trial n error. Sorry if its boring yer all. Lol.

Can start building up the subframe at back now tho as made a decision. Save up the kids cereal boxes n make some accurate templates n can start chopping n welding some sheet up.
Old 14-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Couple bolts tacked on as mounting studs. :-

Mounting holes for everything drilled. Also made n tacked on some lugs for the original rubber mounting fixings for the relays. Time consuming yeah, but better having relays rubber isolated, and bit better than zip-tying everything in place. One of my pet hates when buy a bike is finding a big rats nest of wires/boxes shoved into a space n zip-tied together in a mess. Lol. :-

Everything slotted in n loosely bolted. Tight as 3 relays, reg/rec, fuse box, ignition module, etc, but will be nice n neat once wires clipped up properly. :-

All at a nice low profile so seat pad clears everything once on. :-

Well think that’s everything bar neatening up n final welding once subframes off bike on stripdown. Onto sheet metal work now covering everything up I guess. Lots of cereal box templates n cutting/welding. Lol.
Old 14-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Harris, I really like your work..No messing around, just getting the job done..

John
Old 14-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Plenty time to neaten everything up later on n make it look nice n blingy polished/airbrushed, etc. Just wanna get dry build done n everything fitting right than can enjoy a straightforwards cosmetic strip n rebuild.
Old 15-10-2010, 02:25 PM

I concur with the old welsh feller.

Old 18-10-2010, 02:25 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Im glad you rethought the tail end, I was in Nik's camp with the earlier design. I think it's gonns be braw and has already been said, nae pish, straight in and problem solve, then build.

Old 20-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Not a shitload tonight, but progress of sorts.

Measured up size of 1.5mm sheet I`ll need for seat unit metalwork. Way bigger than what I have which is a pisser as nowhere to get steel from up here other than Egay! Must be somewhere on island to get metal from, but Ive asked around n drawn up nothing but blanks.

Stripped off all guff from front end tonight anyway, and guns/rockets and all supporting metalwork from other side, etc, etc. Took about a sodding hour as everything rusted into one big blob! One of side effects of living right next to sea for many years n winter riding.:-

Got 2 piles this size now. Bout 2 feet deep in places! Must be good 20-30kg between it all as most of metal bar is at least 5mm steel. Loads of weight considering it was only 180-odd kg with 2/3 tank of fuel at last MOT test! Note big ground section on bellypan from jumping too many humpback hill sections of local roads. Ooops. Lol. :-

Bikes fookin tiny! Feels like a 250cc stood next to it, and I’m short. Lol. Gonna be light as hell as not much going on bar few sheets of thin alloy, etc. No big clocks on front, n no real seat unit length at back, etc. Cant get over how small bike looks tbh. :-

Off to scan Egay for some sheet steel for seat panel, n hassle a few local mates about local suppliers. Loads of boat builders, etc up here. Must be getting materials from somewhere.
Old 20-10-2010, 09:18 PM

Has anyone thrown out a washing machine or a tumble drier recently? The sides are an ideal gauge for what you want to use it for, Harris.

Grav
champion skip diver.

Old 20-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Yeah Im looking. lol.
Old 25-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Not done a lot of late. Been working on my daily driver Hearse to get it through its MOT n clean up few areas, etc, etc. Went through MOT test fine then fuel tank developed pinhole leak so had to strip that completely off n repair it, etc. Pain in the arse job, but all sorted now. Gonna wire brush n underseal whole underneath of car next few days too ready for winter. Bloody cars. Lol.

Anyway chopped a couple of matching headlight plates tonight. Just 1.5mm steel as not going to be visible when done, and car spotlights that were on bike weigh next to nothing. Re-using them as small and lightweight and pretty narrow which fits in with my plan. Couple bits of bar spacer to make to fill gap back to headstock brackets, but no biggy. :-

Side on profile looks right anyway.:-

Probably weld on couple brackets to bolt the bodywork onto once made it up. Same shape as doodle below, matching original doodles shape wise. Step at back clears bottom yoke. :-

Thinking cover gap between side plates on top and bottom surfaces too, so enclosed narrow unit, and then mesh over front so lights not as obvious. More like an air intake in appearance. I`ll get some cardboard templates chopped about n see what looks like mocked up next few days. Original doodles had the light unit joined to the tank and running under the top yoke, but not sure how practical that would be. Don’t fancy removing top yoke to take tank off. Lol. Maybe some sort of split design or leave tank as is. I`ll get a better idea once start cardboard/tape mocking up.

Up town tomorrow in car n found a engineering place up there. Going to stick my head in and see if can get some big enough sheet off him for the seat unit. Be handy having somewhere on island I can get metal from instead of shipping it in all the time.
Old 26-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Lots of pissin about with cardboard n gaffer tape tonight. Got shape roughly hacked out to see how looked n fitted. Not bad at all really. Sides and top will be out of same bit of steel so have slightly curved top edges in reality. Some black mesh (still got some fireguard mesh scraps, lol) recessed slightly at front for that stealthy look n should look alright.

Will need to curve bottom edges in slightly once made by 1cm or so to clear bottom yoke, but not far off clearing. Ignition barrel catches, but looks butt ugly on top yoke now so be getting moved somewhere discreet anyway so not a problem.

Top section runs round headstock and tucks under tank mounts to bolt down. Keeps visible fasteners down to a minimum. A single bolt underneath somewhere at front will hold secure without masses of bolts. :-

Side profile nice n neat n more or less inline with sketches. Clean n geometric and inline with tank top slope. :-

Gonna sit tonight n draw out accurate templates neatening up shapes, etc so can transfer to steel n cut em out n get it made.

Didn’t get up town today, but going up tomorrow so I`ll hound that engineering place for some sheet while there. Lol.
Old 31-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Couple bits last few days.

One of original light brackets with a bit of bending about was ideal for a bottom bracket for bolting cowl to. Couple tiny M4 bolts underneath to secure cowl keeps things neat as completely out of view. Saved time/materials making one from scratch too. Lol.:-

Chopped up some scrap fireguard mesh and bonded it into inside of light unit countersunk slightly. Bolted up n Im liking it. Lines look good. Mesh will be sprayed black when finished properly. :-

Put a couple bends in a sheet of steel to make a start on seat unit. Going to have to make it out of several pieces due to size of material I have and lack of places on island to get bigger sheets. Not end of world tho.
Not chopped it yet tho as unsure as to shape. Red line below is bottom edge of seat unit. :-

To get sharp point between bottom edge of seat and seat top like drew originally I`ll need to chop about subframe pillion seat support a bit and angle downwards by miles to more like the yellow lines position on picture. Its either that or curve it up to meet top like I sketched on in marker to keep seat length down. Doesn’t look too bad tbh. :-

Reckon it`ll be a case of chopping the subframe about tbh, but not sure as yet. Decisions decisions. Lol.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Hour or two spent tonight with the old cereal boxes n tape/scissors again tonight. Exciting night life I lead. Lol.

Got the side panel shape templates worked out fairly accurately after several goes. Thank god the kids eat a lot of cereal as ideal thickness for accurate templates.

Side view showing basic shape. Bottom edge is oversized so I can trim that back few mm once get undertray made, etc. More than covers subframe mods anyway in depth. Fit round seat pad seems not bad. :-

Bit of curving n shaping and shouldn’t look too out of place where meets tank. Wont be perfect but wont stand out as being hideously troll ugly like my ex-mother. Muwahahaha. Going to try fabricate some push-fit tags that will fit into the original rubber side panel bungs which are still on tank. Will save having fasteners on view. :-

My art lecturers always said to step back from your work every so often to see the whole picture. Further back n seems to have profile Im after overall. :-

Going to have to make each side out of 2 pieces as no material big enough. Marked it out ready for chopping n welding next few evenings.:-

Got stack of 1mm grinder discs sitting so can slice it out accurately. Making 2 identical sets for both sides. Figure frame/tank/seat identical both sides so make 2 sets at same time so perfectly matching. Area where meets back section of seat I bent the other day Im cutting good 20mm or so over size so I can line it up accurately n have some to spare. Lol. Guaranteed my bends on back section the other day aren’t mm perfect, so this way I can line everything up at back end n chop off excess.

Also in picture is my big 5kg box of welding rods which arrived today that I got off egay for much cheapness. Was running low and they were going for silly cheap price so grabbed em. Stock me up for a fair while.