100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 17-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Chatter Box

Default The four hour oil change.

So... i have been having problems with the gears on the blade, getting very notchy when warm. I have adjusted the cable and all that guff but the recommendation i have had is to change the oil, so with 3 ltrs in the garage i pop out and pick up an extra litre and a filter.

Great i think, i have a lambretta side panel to paint (well some one has to) so i can do the oil in between coats of paint thus getting both done at the same time... ! 8)

Eerrghhh... WRONG... !!

(coat of paint on Lambretta panel)

So first things first, sump plug out drain oil into old container... so far so good. Ok the oil filter is in plain view from the front and i can also get to it through the cut outs in the fairing, fantastic, no need to remove the fairing.

Eerrghhh.... WRONG... !!

no matter how i approach it that oil filter is not coming off without a fight, ok no worries just drop the one side of the fairing off and jobs a good un...!!!

Eerrghhh... WRONG... !!

So, the fairing bolts have been replaced with nice shiney stainless allen bolts, that are about 6 foot too flaming long and have kacked up to the point that they wont undo.... , so after a fair amount of bike mechanic slang for "please undo" and a test of my allen keys tensile strength at high speed on the workshop floor i managed to remove several bolts, but had to drill the two lower ones out.

Wicked, it's going to be a piece of piss now... thinks me... !!

Eerrghhh.. WRONG... !!

I can now get a good grip and angle on the filter, but despite the four holes with my screw driver and copious amounts of oil on the floor it still wont budge..

So its off round the yard to see who has an oil filter tool, i find one just next door luckily. Funnily enough it looks just like the one i have at home in my tool box, that i cant ride home to get due to the screwdriver poking out of my oil filter.

So now with the right tool i am able to get the offending filter off, still with some force needed mind, and finish off my oil change.

(coat of paint on Lambretta panel, now finished).

Took the blade out for a blast tonight, the gears are lovely now, just need to sort the K&N air filter oil and the plugs and she is set for our run to Squires cafe next weekend.
Old 18-07-2008, 07:33 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

I have those sort of days!

Took me an hour to change me speedo cable yesterday after the old one snapped. 1500 Goldwing! even with the bits of plastic removed that could be removed there was no way I could get my hand up behind the speedo to get the old cable off. Had to call the Mrs to the garage in the end. God it's hard work explaining to a woman which way to turn it to undo I kept me cool though and she got it off....

If she hadn't been able to do it I would have had to take the front garnish off to get the screen off to get the headlight out to get the mirrors off to get the clocks out.....

Also yesterday I realised the MOT ran out 6 days ago..
Old 18-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBod View Post
I have those sort of days!
God it's hard work explaining to a woman which way to turn it to undo I kept me cool though and she got it off....
Lefty losey righty tighty, thats how i taught my boys any how.

My XJR mot ran out 2 months and i didnt realize... that wouldnt normally have bothered me too much but with the new technology they have in the cars now days the old bill can check you out without even stopping.
Old 18-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Chat Slapper

howdo,ace,long time no speak............

wattafuk you doin with plastic on a bike anyways?!!
Old 18-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know what you people are complaining about. It takes me at least half an hour to bend down enough to see the oil level glass, then I have to get up again to find a torch and reading glasses....John
Old 18-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikesmad

It's getting the crane set up that takes the time fer me!

Anyway, is it decades between oil changes, Ace.........

............or just years?

Ye dinnae bounce sae weel, when yer aulder!
Old 18-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu View Post
howdo,ace,long time no speak............

wattafuk you doin with plastic on a bike anyways?!!
Damn... you blew my disguise, i was hoping you wouldnt notice...

Hey, hows it going, you still doing the SFOC thing.. ? You got that Gixer sorted yet ? Oh and the Blagit N Bodgeit has moved weekends, it is now on the 10/11 oct, look out for more details, i'll be goin live with the fliers next week.