View Single Post
Old 10-02-2018, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
Most contract law is fairly simple, this is more like a retail contract.
I made and agreement with them to provide me with a range of agreed services.
As soon as they start significantly changing the terms which were agreed at start up, then the contract becomes void as in this case. But they are the ones voiding it, they will realise soon when I tell them.
I was a design/project manager in construction so I was quite good on contractual stuff, its part of the job. I amused to dealing with awkward blightaz.
There is also a "fit for purpose" element in the care services they provide.
A duty of care and of course the care act.

In construction some subcontract companies have to be nailed to the contract terms and BofQ and will push it all the time usually looking for extra money, or trying to substitute a specified product for something much cheaper or less durable, or generally looking for extensions of time = more money, or dong extra work which was not not called for so they can try and claim more money, and plenty more and one of my daily jobs was to make sure the client ie the company or individual paying for the building work isnt over charged and there are some very sharp operators out there, but with experience you know the early warning signs and you are then prepared for the incoming claims for additional payment which then have to be evaluated and accepted or rejected.
Like you I was a fully qualified Engineering Buyer by "profession" (hah!). So dealing with contracts and learning contractual law was a necessary part of the job. So many people do not read the very small print, so get cuaght out by the claused hidden way down the list and pages in a contract. Most contracts that have been laid down by the Service Provider are grossly in favour of them and not the client. I always read a contract in front of the vendor even if it takes a good half hour or more (this really pisses them off. I often tell them to go get a cupp or something and I'll call them when ready! It's amazing how much extra they will reduce the price by just to get you to sign and go!) Once I've read the contract I uaually strike out all the suspect clauses and then get them to resign the contract before I sign, I then tell them that this is now the legally binding contract and supercedes all previous agreements, and I will keep the original or get them to copy the amended contract and then sign both copies. You'd be surpised how many salesmen pull out of the sale. Usually estate agents and Car Sales staff!