Thread: Kit Bikes!
View Single Post
Old 21-07-2006, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue
You ever tried putting a kit bike together? Despite the claims of the manufacturers, I've not come across one yet where everything fitted and where quite a large amount of mechanical and engineering aptitude wasn't required. If there's one thing that concerns me about kit bikes, it's that there's 'get-rich-quick' merchants setting up building kits on the back of the current chopper trend without the skills of experience to do so.
I have read about the poor quality of kit bikes on here and on other forums, which as you say, is of concern. What with incompetant home builders and even less forgiving, chopshop built kit bikes just slung together. we could see a number of accidents, rising in the future, which after investigation, could lead to more Government intervention, making it even harder for the honest custom builder to get their machine on the road.

Quote:
What scares me far more than kit bikes is the new homologised bikes that Custom Chrome Europe is offering. That could have very serious ramifications for the European custom world.
People paying top dollar for crap quality bikes. And if the government get their way (SVA etc.) these may be the only route to getting a "custom" bike on the road in the future? If so this may possibly be the death knell for the custom scene as we know it.

Quote:
Fuck me
I never thought you'd ask!

Quote:
I wish we'd known that kit bikes didn't need to be SVA'd before we went to the trouble of getting the Big Bear done. Strangely, the authorities still seem to reckon that kit bikes should be SVA'd... And most kit bikes are registered under their manufacturers' name and model and not as a Harley, FT.
I am only a humble reader, and do not know all the intricasies of the SVA law so I stand corrected about kit bikes being SVA'd.

So a kit bike would be registered as a "Custom Chrome Europe 1340cc Whatever" rather than a "Harley 1340cc doo-dah"? The problem I see here is when a punter gets tired of his bike he will sell it as a "Harley" most likely and breach advertising laws!

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 21-07-2006 at 06:41 AM.