Thread: Petrol prices?
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
HOS, the most important biker saying is.... 'Keep it shiny side up', which it seems we all ignore (at our peril) from time to time. As for your IQ dropping, I read your posts and see a measured and examined reply. OK, spelling may go awry, as does mine, usually due to 'Fat Finger' syndrome or simply typing too fast for the brain to keep up. If what you write is a reflection of IQ then yours must have been in the higher bracket to start with. Not bigging you up, just stating a fact, as I see it.

For some reason, back a couple of decades ago, this country decided it didn't need apprenticeships (a situation I am glad to see has been reversed) and we lost the opportunity to train youngsters to do the technical jobs. Plumbers/Electricians/Builders from Poland and other Eastern European countries flooded Britain and took over. At KAB Seating we always had an apprentice in the maintenance dept. and they got into the NVQ system of which I was one of the first volunteers to learn welding. I went on to do the trainer/assessor components afterwards. This country used to be an industrial powerhouse, producing everything from Nails to aircraft. Today it is mostly leisure industry or Warehousing and even in places like Birmingham you are hard pressed to find and engineering or production work.
That confirms what I said about being able to communicate by written words rather than verbally. One of the beauties of an ABI is how you go "off" very quickly, its like falling off a cliff face. On the occassions when I get very tired and I've hit the wall with pain and I'm hungry that's when I get very out of hand. Its not cool.

I started out as a trainee with one of the top 5 design and build companies in the UK. I did technical college and worked my spuds off to progress on the career ladder. By the age of 21 I was running three multi million pound building contracts in NW England and I had earned my first professional institute membership and served on regional committee for that institute. I didn't see that I had any limits at the time and I was going for it. But the construction industry changed big style inn the 1980s and 90s. It became dog eat dog and there was no loyalty either way. That was when I went freelance/contract because there was so much shit and politics in the offices I worked that I didn't want to be a part of. My view was and still is, you are there to do a job. End of.
But that the beauty of being freelance because you are employed to get the job done and fuck the politics. That's why freelancers are mercenary in their approach to getting the job done. That's why they take you on. You develop a very high level of skill over the years which is borderline 6th sense about the job and people. But its all based on learning as you climb the career ladder.
Not some 20 something nob who's got a degree and thinks they already arrived.
I earned more on hourly rate than any architect or engineer I worked with. I wasn't unique in that either, there was a band of us. All very highly skilled technicians/technologists. Through hard practical experience not because of a mickey mouse general degree qualification on a piece of paper.

But I got taken down hard in 2001 and for me that was it, career over.
Shit happens as we know. Its how you deal with it that matters.
Life changes and nothing stays the same. A fundamental fact we lose sight of at times in our lives.