Thread: Petrol prices?
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2018, 05:47 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Originally Posted by HOS View Post
I hear what you say and have heard about the workers who are permanently on the skive or pulling sickies. The issues around work are jobs are complex.
I am of the same school as you being a grafter and working for what I had.
There are people who think they go to work to do as little as possible and expect others to carry them. To some degree and more so in smaller companies every worker is a key part of the profitability of the company, but a lot of people don't get that.
I've said to my kids and to my partners son, if you can be reliable and work bloody hard and be conscientious and not take time of sick unless absolutely necessary, then you stand a far better chance of getting a job and keeping jobs.
During the early 1990s economic slump I fell from a great height and ended up in a tiny 2 bed house by good luck and scratting around for factory jobs, usually the type of jobs other people couldn't do or wouldn't do, I took them. I was doing agency work for maybe 3 or 4 years with no work inbetween. Just keeping the home together. After about 6 weeks of me not having any temporary work we faced going bust again, but luck always chimed in with some work just when we needed it. Could be 3 days work or 1 week or 2 weeks, I took it. Picking and packing, shop work, commercial kitchens work, powder coating, electronics plant, delivery driver, taxi driver, and many more.
But I never came across any skivers, if you were not working fast they would ask you not to come back the next day.
But I learned a hell, of a lot in that time, especially about me and what i am capable of and to keep the family together and in housing.

But the work place has changed I am aware of that. My daughter was for a short while an assistant branch manager at a well known staffing agency. She felt that not only did workers not have realistic expectations of the kind of jobs available to them, but also the employers were equally unrealistic about the kind of candidates who were available for their low paid dead end jobs.

However Uni graduates are equally clueless and sloth when it comes to career jobs. Its not an education thing, its a cultural thing. The ones who work very hard and are prepared to learn as they go, they are the ones who progress and take better jobs. I've had young grads work for me who I wouldn't trust to put the refuse bins out never mind complete a simple task schedule.
I worked for most of my life in a white male dominated profession so I have been influenced by that to a degree. But I used to have a go at anything work wise.
I think you have eloquently put most of what I was trying to say. Everybody has a different work experience, even within the same company. Like Friars childhood, mine was 180 degrees different, with two loving parents and a Dad that was more like a big brother, whom I love beyond the day he passed. I ended my working career doing almost anything, including toilet cleaning to keep my family fed, at one point I was doing 3 full time jobs (picking/packing in a wool warehouse (Sirdar), security guard at Diversy and night shelf stacking at Tesco). The last 19 years was at KAB seating where I became a welder/tester/assessor and later a Group Leader (Foreman) in the stores, following my cancer op. I have worked on the bins and drain cleaning as a temp and I liked it, getting dirty was never a problem when it came to work.....
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore