Thread: Scab
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 07:23 AM
Chat Pimp

Default Passing the buck, eh Chopper?

So your misbehaviour as a kid is not the fault of you or your parents, but the teachers you had? Psychologists would call the attribution bias - it's never your fault is it?
Schools can no longer use canes, expulsions, or suspensions (without LEA grief) and there have been a few court cases about the legality of after-school detentions. So, with no meaningful disciplinary system left, how exactly are teachers supposed to "earn that respect"? By shouting at the kids? Worked for you did it?
One thing that seems to have passed you by Chopper is that teachers are just the frontline staff, they don't set education policy, they don't set exam requirements or assessment criteria, they don't set subject specifications. All that was absorbed into the DOE with the National Curriculum in the '80s. Since then, teachers and senior staff have railed at the government for relentlessly pissing about with stuff they don't understand. But each education secretary wants to make a name for themselves so they get promoted in the Cabinet. Thus, they decide what I teach - even if I worked in the Private sector (assuming I want official recognition of the qualifications).
You complain about poor teaching and educational standards, but your solution to this is to make the conditions of employment worse. I'm not sure how you think that'd help?