Thread: bandit thingy
View Single Post
Old 19-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Default bandit thingy

i picked up a gsx550 frame for a fiver complete with v5 on ebay awhile back, a wee bit later i picked up a bandit 600 engine and running gear. i could have got the frame and all but what fun would there have been in that?
engine was just too big to fit in the frame so it had a meeting with the angle grinder, i cut out the right hand side and made up blocks so it would become a removable section, like whats on the bandits and gsxr's etc. had to remove the engine mounts also and re profile below the headstock to make room for the cam chain tunnel. it sat for a bit then i managed to get some time on it this past couple of weeks.

made spacers for rear wheel and milled down caliper bracket

used a gs500 sprocket carrier as its narrower than the bandit one, fitted bearings to take the smaller 17mm gsx spindle. spaced the bandit sprocket out by using the gsx sprocket as it was the perfect thickness, will remove a lot of it leaving just the centre.

as mentioned earlier i had to cut the side from frame to get engine in. heres the rear of the section

and here's the front. new engine mounts welded to removable section. bolts will be 10mm cap screws but only had 2 in garage hence the two hex heads.

the gsx headstock is shorter than the bandit so i ground out the weld at bottom of yoke and pressed stem through enough. will weld it up fully when off the bike.

left hand side new engine mounts. managed to keep the original bottom mounts and made up a suitable spacer.

Last edited by mick2; 20-09-2010 at 10:08 AM.