100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/index.php)
-   Biker Chat (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New MOT changes (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51765)

Strider 22-01-2018 06:30 AM

New MOT changes

Major changes to the MOT test on 20th of May 2018

Some of you may have already heard that there are big changes coming to the MOT test this May. Here are just a few of the biggest changes that are most likely to affect you. Please take these with a pinch of salt as nothing will be finalised until the end of April and will probably still be subject to change after that date. Remember it will take your MOT tester time to get up to speed with these too!

So...

Advisories are being replaced with minor fails. These are all pre written & approved by DVSA. You will still get a pass but they will be noted on your test certificate. Manual advisories are still being worked out but may disappear completely.

Those of you who have changed your standard headlight bulbs for HID's will now get a major fail even if the aim is correct. It has always been an offence to fit HID bulbs to halogen headlamps so the MOT is now in line with that.

Reverse lights are now part of the MOT for any car registered from 1st September 2009 (59 plate onwards). Daytime running lamps (DRL's) & front fog lamps must work on vehicles registered from March 2018 (18 plate onwards).

Engine Management Light is now a major fail. It must come on with the ignition and then turn off when the engine is started.

Brake pad warning lights are a major fail

Handbrake with excessive travel is now a major fail. Before it would only a fail if there was no reserve travel.

Contaminated (dirty) brake fluid is a major fail. Not sure how that will work as the MOT tester isn't allowed to remove the fluid cap.

Oil leaks (engine, gearbox etc.) can be a major failure if they are deemed large enough.

It seems they have removed the failure for tyres not being fitted according to sidewall instructions. Inner/outer or rotation incorrect.

Any modifications/removal to emissions related devices, this includes DPF'S and EGR's is now a major fail.

Where a DPF canister has clearly been cut open and re-welded, it will now fail.

A vehicle fitted with a DPF that emits any kind of visible smoke during the metered test will now fail

Emissions limits for diesels registered on or after 1st of January 2014 have been reduced. All diesels will now need to pass the limit that was set by the manufacturer when the car was new. This can be found on the VIN plate. For example the current limit for your diesel car may be 1.50. That could change to as low as 0.30 with the new rules.

These are just some of the bigger changes to the MOT test the average motorist is likely to be affected by. There are dozens, perhaps even over 100 changes to the actual MOT test and to the way testers record tests on the MOT computer. Please remember these are all subject to change in the coming months and remember spare a thought for your MOT tester before you say...

"Well it passed like that last year!"

Source - https://www.gov.uk/…/mot-special-not...inspection-ma…

Tricky-Dicky 22-01-2018 07:51 AM

Seeing this on a lot of forums, not sure just how serious this is, or even how it's going to be implemented effectively, as it will take a lot of refresher courses for the MOT bods before then, and I would suspect there are going to be an awful lot of vehicles off the road, or in for repairs.

Sir Ewok 22-01-2018 05:34 PM

I should imagine the emissions meeting the 'as new' standard would be pretty hard to match as almost any wear to rings and guides will allow a small amount of extra oil (hydrocarbons) into the combustion chamber plus slightly altered performance from injectors, filter etc will also change the output values. I should think, especially in light of the VW fiddle, it would be possible to fail a brand new car.........:(

Strider 22-01-2018 06:01 PM

Its just another we will get rid of all diesels come hell or high water and if you dont like it TOUGH!!!

HOS 22-01-2018 07:57 PM

I've got bright white xenon bulbs on the car and bike headlights. But they aren't HID.
Same wattage but brighter white light.

HOS 22-01-2018 07:58 PM

There's going to be a few taxi drivers and taxi firms getting worried

strima 22-01-2018 08:29 PM

I'd best refit the EGR pipes on my car... Luckily they can't remove any panels so they can stay blanked. :D

Strider 23-01-2018 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOS (Post 666186)
There's going to be a few taxi drivers and taxi firms getting worried

Nah, lets just say that the taxi MOT testers keep it in the family ;)

Strider 23-01-2018 06:43 AM

After the budget, I was seriously thinking of getting rid of my X5, the taxation was the thin end of the wedge and this is the bit that starts to get thicker.

Looks a like a lexus hybrid might be on the cards

Sir Ewok 23-01-2018 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strider (Post 666194)
After the budget, I was seriously thinking of getting rid of my X5, the taxation was the thin end of the wedge and this is the bit that starts to get thicker.

Looks a like a lexus hybrid might be on the cards

Many taxis round Northampton are now Lexus' especially Eco Cars......

HOS 23-01-2018 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strider (Post 666193)
Nah, lets just say that the taxi MOT testers keep it in the family ;)

Yeah, I know how it works.
The police usually do a stop check for Taxi's at this time of year and pull up to 50% off the road with defects or just plain dangerous.

An example is last year when I needed to get over to Warwick quickly because my car was off the road so I booked a decent taxi firm. The car was a very nice silver Mercedes saloon and very high spec too, but it was apparent as I sat in the front that the brakes were absolutely rubbish. He had to drive in such a way as to not use the brakes as much as possible.
:rolleyes:

Strider 24-01-2018 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Ewok (Post 666195)
Many taxis round Northampton are now Lexus' especially Eco Cars......

Same round Manchester regarding hybrids but they are using Prius's ffs

HOS 04-02-2018 10:46 AM

Are there anymore details about the new car and bike MOT coming in April ?

Tricky-Dicky 04-02-2018 11:10 AM

Not heard anymore, guess it just a case of waiting until they get it all finalised........and then panic.;)

HOS 04-02-2018 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tricky-Dicky (Post 666391)
Not heard anymore, guess it just a case of waiting until they get it all finalised........and then panic.;)

:D
Thankfully my car is being repaired on Tuesday for MOT retest on the same day.
I would like to get the bike MOT'd before the changes ;)

Tricky-Dicky 04-02-2018 12:44 PM

My MOT is due in early March so I should be OK, and the bike no longer needs one.:D

HOS 04-02-2018 06:31 PM

If they MOT'd me there wouldn't be enough additional pages for the advisories :)

HOS 23-04-2018 07:58 PM

The new MOT rules are coming into effect in May this year at the same time as testers will get the new MOT test manuals.
So in other words no one will really know what the changes are until the new MOT comes into force. That's not helpful at all.

https://www.motester.co.uk/mot-test-...isinformation/

There are some scare stories out there, but we don't know what is going to pass or not. Ive got a gut feeling some of these will be connected to type approval from the EU. Type approval is toxic for bike modification because all changes have to be approved. But wait and see.

HOS 23-04-2018 08:23 PM

This is the current MOT test manual for class 1 and 2 before the changes in May.
http://www.ukmot.com/bike-index.asp

Friar Tuck 24-04-2018 04:28 AM

HAAAAARRRRYYYYYYYY???

Where's the Techy Guru when you need him!......

HOS 24-04-2018 06:06 AM

Well the MOT tester organisation advises against speculation about what the new rules for motorcycles will be. We know that the new classifications will be for a pass or fail.
But the roll out is the usual government piss up in a brewery situation ;)
Personally I don't think much will have changed except these HID lights will be a fail if not original equipment.
I'm not sure about catalytic converters though, because people do remove them when fitting a new set of pipes. So will that be a fail?

Tricky-Dicky 24-04-2018 10:01 AM

I found this recently, https://www.classicbikeguide.com/new...irmed-up/which seems to say the 8 point system for modified bikes is out the window, which might or might not be a bonus, I am going to try and talk to my local friendly bike MOT tester to see if he knows anything, I did talk to the tester than does my car and from what he has read so far a lot of diesel could end up failing.

harry 24-04-2018 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck (Post 667915)
HAAAAARRRRYYYYYYYY???

Where's the Techy Guru when you need him!......

Tiz chaos here in the ivory tower lots of new manuals and all still in draft form. with spelling mistakes and obvious errors. Major decisions still have to be made.

I'm saying nowt cos that's how much we know

whistler 24-04-2018 06:00 PM

Sounds like the typical DVLA clusterfuck.

Friar Tuck 25-04-2018 03:51 AM

This is going to be interesting then. I bought my car from the main dealers aa few months ago. but because the MOY wasn't due until September, they couldn't put a new one on, so they deducted the price of an MOT from the deal, so that it would be "free" when the MOT is due in August/September. I'm gld now I decided to change back to petrol, as I only tend to do local mileage now which just clogged up the DPF on the old diesel. So now seeing the new car is still under warranty. and therefore technically should have passed the MOT with flying colours, if not, the costs would've had to have been born by the dealers before selling me the car. But now that there will be new rules, and if the car would've passed under the old system, but now fails under the new guidance. I wonder if the dealers will still honour the repairs under warranty or will just try to charge me? I rhink I'll have to give them a ring to find out, before the shit hits the fan....

strima 25-04-2018 03:09 PM

Ask Honest John: https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/

harry 27-04-2018 04:22 PM

I don't think here's any real shocks here. Seems quite reasonable.

https://training.mot-testing.service...s12/index.html

HOS 29-04-2018 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry (Post 667964)
I don't think here's any real shocks here. Seems quite reasonable.

https://training.mot-testing.service...s12/index.html

I cant see anything problematic on there.
The only exhaust criteria is for noise and it isn't onerous.

8.1.1 Exhaust noise

If possible, you should assess the exhaust noise by revving the engine to approximately half the maximum engine speed. The engine should be warm before you carry out this check.

It isn't possible to rev the engine on twist and go type motorcycles.

The exhaust system and silencer should be in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the motorcycle isn't clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar motorcycle with a standard silencer in average condition.

HOS 29-04-2018 11:15 AM

I just read on the Birmingham Mail website that diesel cars will be failed if there is any smoke coming from the exhaust. That's going to take a lot of cars off the road.

Sir Ewok 29-04-2018 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOS (Post 667992)
I just read on the Birmingham Mail website that diesel cars will be failed if there is any smoke coming from the exhaust. That's going to take a lot of cars off the road.

I guess that goes for diesel motorcycles as well, like Enfield bullet they made a few years back......