100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Workshop (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Indicator wiring help (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51670)

bungy 27-08-2017 11:43 AM

Indicator wiring help

I'm in the middle of rewiring my trike and have hit a problem with the indicators.
I have a 3 pin relay and only 2 wires that go to it, one earth and one from the switch. The wiring diagram say the 3rd wire goes to the cancelling unit but there isn't and never has been a cancelling unit and all the other wires that go to it aren't there and never have been.
I also have the hazard light relay and circuit fitted but that doesn't seem to connect to the other relay???
There was definitely a 3 pin relay on the original wiring so does anyone have any idea what connects to the 3rd pin? The only wire I have that I'm not 100% sure of what it connects to is an extra earth but I can't see it having 2 earths.

Tricky-Dicky 29-08-2017 08:54 AM

Missed this before, from my understanding of relays, whether three or multi pin they basically have the low load side (switching) which usually has a live and neutral, and the high load side which usually has a single live output, which in the multi pin variety sometime has up to three live output pins, all are usually numbered for recognition, try googling relay and you should find any related diagrams for connection.

bungy 29-08-2017 04:17 PM

Originally read that at 5.30 this morning and didn't make head nor tail of it but on reading it again I think I get what you're saying. Thanks

bungy 29-08-2017 04:45 PM

So simple now looked it up, a + a - and one that goes to the indicators I think. Its a b l e type and it's thrown me a bit.
I think my original hazard relay was connected with this somehow but not sure now. Will do more research and cobble something together that will work.

bungy 29-08-2017 06:09 PM

Does anyone know if I could share the live and negative connections for my indicator and hazard relays as it's going to make connecting that bit a lot easier and I would be able to connect to the live after the extra fuse that has?

Friar Tuck 30-08-2017 05:27 AM

When I learnt to ride I was told to use me arms to indicate....just saying....

Tricky-Dicky 30-08-2017 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bungy (Post 664836)
Does anyone know if I could share the live and negative connections for my indicator and hazard relays as it's going to make connecting that bit a lot easier and I would be able to connect to the live after the extra fuse that has?

You cant share the switched input (low load side) to the relay or they will both switch together, not sure about the actual out from the relay, but it would be kind of the same result, but you could share a common unswitched live feed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck (Post 664839)
When I learnt to ride I was told to use me arms to indicate....just saying....

I still do.;)

bungy 30-08-2017 05:04 PM

Thanks.

What can I say, the mot guy likes lots of pretty lights on my trike.

harry 31-08-2017 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bungy (Post 664836)

Usualy indicators would be fed from the ignition switch. But the hazards to be legal have to work when the ignition is on and when off. So need a feed not from the ignition switch.

bungy 01-09-2017 10:03 AM

Good point, had forgot about that. Thanks

bungy 02-09-2017 04:35 PM

Still need help with bloody indicators

Ok so cracked on with my wiring and hit a snag with the indicators. The hazards work lovely and flash away happily with the ignition on or off exactly as they should. The actual indicators are really getting on my nerves. When switched on just the rear indicator comes on and it doesn't flash. I have a 3 pin relay connecting to a live, an earth and to the switch and everything seems to be connected fine. I've tried a couple of different relays and nothing changes.
Anyone have any idea what I've done wrong?

Friar Tuck 03-09-2017 07:05 AM

Um, are all the bulbs the same? And non blown? Might summat that simple? And if you are using LEDs, could that be a problem? Other than that I'm way beyond my comfort zone. Sorry...

Tricky-Dicky 03-09-2017 09:13 AM

As above, or if your using LED they will need resistors or a different indicator relay.

bungy 03-09-2017 11:13 AM

My opinion is that it's the relay. I did get a supposed to be led adjustable speed one but if I try it I just get nothing at all, and with a standard relay I just get the rear indicators but no flashing. As everything works off the hazard relay I know the lights are working and wired up ok, so I guess it's trying to work out what relay to get.

bungy 09-09-2017 05:03 PM

Got a new relay and bloody things still not working. Anyone have any ideas?

bungy 09-09-2017 05:21 PM

Actually forget that, having double checked something I might have been a complete idiot and very embarrassingly mixed a few wires up. I'll see what happens when I switch they over tomorrow. I'm sure my minds going as I get older.

bungy 10-09-2017 03:03 PM

After all that t was a bad earth.

micktodd 16-10-2017 05:28 PM

something that has had us all cursing and swearing at some point glad you've sorted it

Friar Tuck 17-10-2017 03:38 AM

He wasn't flapping both his arms up and down quick enuff.....