100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/index.php)
-   Trike Magazine (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Anyone any experience with a rigid from end (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51627)

Ukmarc 11-06-2017 05:15 PM

Anyone any experience with a rigid from end

His​ all anyone every used a rigid set of front forks
Anyone with experience of this I would like to know how they felt about them
Not interested in listening to anyones opinion but valid information
Many thanks all

Friar Tuck 12-06-2017 05:33 AM

Welcome to the forum, Matey, how about filling in the user CP up on the left hand side there and tell us a bit about yourself, I'm mean you've only been on here for the last four years....

Oh, and if you don't want to listen to opinion, why ask?

Ukmarc 12-06-2017 07:09 AM

Because I want facts not opinions as opinions aren't worth much without facts
And is it compulsory to tell about myself ?

Tricky-Dicky 12-06-2017 09:11 AM

Kind of in the wrong place for facts only fella, common sense will tell you that a set of rigid forks is going to compromise the handling and make front wheel braking rather rubbish, cant think why you would even want that on British roads anyway.

I suspect that's the only opinion your likely to get here, and as for facts i doubt anyone would want to.;)

harry 12-06-2017 11:24 AM

Here's a fact for you. The MoT manual says motorcycles need not be fitted with REAR suspension. It also lists deliberate modification that weakens the structure as a reason for rejection ie failure.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...lasses-1-2.pdf

harry 12-06-2017 11:42 AM

Further to that. As I forgot while researching your question that we are probably talking trike here.

construction and use requires all road wheels to be fitted with suspension (It actually says springs) It then exempts motorcycles.

However it does not exempt 3 wheelers. So now I'm left wondering how trikes without rear suspension get through. I'll either have to get me thinking hat on.................or phone Chris. :D

Friar Tuck 13-06-2017 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ukmarc (Post 664029)
Because I want facts not opinions as opinions aren't worth much without facts
And is it compulsory to tell about myself ?

No not compulsory at all, mate. Just a lot of us like to know a bit about each other, that's all. no great shake.

Harry has given you facts.

And opinions are only those, just opinions. But bear in mind, when people give you opinions on here, they are based on experience, often years of experience of using items like forks, be they, upside downies, rigids, teles, springers or any othe type of method of steering! So I'd say opinions are worth listening to, especially on here, as they are based on FACT!

Just remember that please!

Strider 13-06-2017 05:44 AM

Personally I prefer them with a bit of cheese in my sandwich, if I have a choice I'll have red ones, your spanish ones go better in a curry or with meat.

Scallions, if you are having them with salad

The very best when you talk about rigid front ends of course are to use spring onions :D

harry 14-06-2017 09:57 AM

Cheese sarnies aside I've done me research and found this: Caution if you've not realised how mixed up and inconsistent the regs can be look away now.

Under C&U regs (but only C&U) a motorcycle is defined as a Motor vehicle with less than 4 wheels and weighing not more than 410 KG unladen.

Thus a trike does not need suspension if it weighs 410kg or less.

The definition of motorcycle and trike in other regs ie driving licence MSVA MoT etc is totally different.

Where you may come unstuck with a rigid front end is at MSVA or MoT.
the stresses on the forks without suspension will be much higher and metal fatigue is a factor (Indeed historically the reason manufacturers started experiments with suspension was to overcome fork failures) Thus when assessing the strength of the forks testers may err on the side of safety and fail it.

Friar Tuck 15-06-2017 05:51 AM

So if you want to use rigids, bolt some RSJ's together....

Tricky-Dicky 15-06-2017 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck (Post 664058)
So if you want to use rigids, bolt some RSJ's together....

That was the first picture that came to my mind when he posted;):D.

SS2 15-06-2017 11:31 AM

My first mental picture was of a mate turning up at a rally up here having burst both fork seals badly leaving Londoninium (where he was dizzying) and rather than risk getting fork oil, all over his disks, decided to drain it all out before a 350 mile ride north. That felt pretty rigid.:D