100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Workshop (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brake & clutch master cylinder HELP!! (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51558)

Tricky-Dicky 10-03-2017 02:33 PM

Brake & clutch master cylinder HELP!!

Really struggling here, bought some ebay brake and clutch master cylinders, and found that they where not man enough IE piston size to brake caliper/pistons ratio was not right, master cylinder does not shift enough fluid volume, so brake does not engage until the leaver is nearly touching the handlebar, same goes for the clutch.

They where 17mmm pistons, so i tried an old leaking generic M/C with a 5/8" piston and this worked fine for both clutch and brake, but my problem is now where to find brake & clutch M/C with 5/8" or 19mm pistons?
cant seem to find any on ebay,
I have seen some radial M/C with 19x18+16x18 pistons on AliExspress but i have no experience or idea just how this would translate to a normal M/C as the piston stroke is never mentioned.

So if anyone can enlighten me, or tell me of any existing M/C off a current bike with 5/8" or 19mm pistons that i can pick up from a breaker (don't want to spend silly money) i would be very grateful.:)

harry 10-03-2017 06:53 PM

A friend of mine had the same problem recently. He ended up getting an engineering firm to machine the bores of the MC to accept 19mm pistons and using a repair kit.

I haven't checked his figures but he reckoned it was cheaper than buying the correct cylinders.

Tricky-Dicky 10-03-2017 08:12 PM

That's a good point, if the M/C has enough meat, but taking it out by 1mm shouldn't be a problem, i guess if i can find a decent expanding reamer, i could do it myself, i presume the repair kits are pretty generic?

Tricky-Dicky 10-03-2017 08:22 PM

Actually scrub that, just been on ebay and they seem to be specific, which is fine if you have the original M/C rather than a generic Chinese one, and looking at the prices, it will probably end up a similar price to buying a pair of large piston radial M/Cs.

Still could do with some insight into the radial ratios if anyone knows?

Tricky-Dicky 14-03-2017 08:58 AM

Ended up ordering yet another set of M/Cs from AilExpress, this time 19mm radial, will look a little ungainly on a bobber but should do the job.

Tricky-Dicky 22-03-2017 08:48 AM

The M/C arrived yesterday, pretty quick from China........however waits for the i told you so's!
Anyway the brake side bleed nipple dose not seal, had to cut down a bolt to use it, and now the leaver pivot pin is starting to come out, but thy work OK, just disappointing that the quality is not great, neither is a problem as i can just sleeve the pin and use a bolt through which is the way they should have been made.

I will be sending pics to the supplier and hope for a refund or replacement.

Friar Tuck 23-03-2017 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tricky-Dicky (Post 663282)

.......I will be sending pics to the supplier and hope for a refund or replacement.

Don't hold your breath!.....