100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/index.php)
-   Trike Magazine (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   prop repair (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51440)

growler 1964 01-10-2016 03:09 PM

prop repair

hi uj on prop has gone would it be possible to weld in place or must it have a uj its a hard tail

strima 01-10-2016 05:09 PM

The UJ would take into account any alignment differences and frame twisting, if you weld the prop you risk a more catastrophic break.

fifer 01-10-2016 08:16 PM

Easy to replace UJ joints .
http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/repair/U_joint/repair.htm
And have a wee look at propshaft alignment on reassembly ;
https://sites.google.com/site/fifers...ropshaft-stuff

Peirre 02-10-2016 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strima (Post 661685)
The UJ would take into account any alignment differences and frame twisting, if you weld the prop you risk a more catastrophic break.

Likewise if the engine is on rubber mounts the UJ would take into account the variations of torque flexing as the engine revs.

ALFIEBEARD 11-12-2017 09:58 PM

Solid prop

I had a first hand account of a breaking Propshaft on my old 1100 Virago Trike, it had been butt welded after being shortened :mad: by the last owner,:confused:
luckily it snapped at the axle end but it still whipped all over the shop and knackered my brand new stainless pipes grr.

If it had snapped at the engine end it could have pole vaulted me into oblivion:eek:.

After that I fitted a retainer ring around both ends as it scared me to death, I certainly wouldn't advise using a solid drive without Hardy Spicers you are asking for trouble in my opinion.

Alfie

Just noticed this thread is over a year old lol but I am a slow writer.

HOS 11-12-2017 10:07 PM

Still useful to know though Alfie.

Friar Tuck 12-12-2017 05:21 AM

The last trike I owned I was about four years old and cycled around the back garden....

HOS 12-12-2017 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy days....... :)

Friar Tuck 13-12-2017 05:39 AM

It was you who nicked it!...I'm telling Mummy!.....

HOS 13-12-2017 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck (Post 665676)
It was you who nicked it!...I'm telling Mummy!.....

You said I could borrow it!........... Muuumm....

Friar Tuck 14-12-2017 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOS (Post 665684)
You said I could borrow it!........... Muuumm....

That made I larf!....Memories hey?

HOS 14-12-2017 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck (Post 665712)
That made I larf!....Memories hey?

Oh yes, me and my older bro.
We were best mates for many years and a bit of a handful.

Friar Tuck 15-12-2017 05:24 AM

I hope you still are, matey!

HOS 16-12-2017 12:31 PM

When our mum died I was 18, my older bro was 19 and our younger bro was 8.
Very hard times followed which define who you are.
I still see both of my brothers a few times a year, but we are not as close as we were. But life changes all of us to a greater or lesser degree.

Friar Tuck 17-12-2017 08:16 AM

I know what you mean

HOS 17-12-2017 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck (Post 665746)
I know what you mean

The difference is I never grew up :D
I had this very professional persona for my work but my private life was very different hanging around with bikers. Some of the very best laughs I've had in my life are with other bikers. You know when your guts really hurt through laughing all day? Yes my bike mates are very shtupid ! :D

Friar Tuck 18-12-2017 05:43 AM

You and me must've come from the same mould. My Wife despairs of me. I still laugh like a drain at things like Tom and Jerry and the ICE AGE series of cartoon films. My best mate just recently passed away and I went to his funeral. We were told not to wear black, so I went in one of my famous jumpers. (When I used to go to the occassional biker rally everyone turned up in cutdowns, patches etc. I turned up in these multi coloured jumpers. I think you can see one in my avatar!). Anyway we used to exchange the same xmas card with a new message scrawled inside, totally un pc! or we'd end up on some wild adventure that would just start uot as a day's fishing or something! The sod bought a load of resin meerkats with solar lights (my missus let it slip that she liked the Meerkat adverts!) and he hid them in my garden! One night I saw all these lights shining here and there, so I was out there picking them out of various trees and hiding places at 9 o'clock at night. He was in stitches for days after. There after We got given meerkats in either cards or bloody toys! When I told him about an otter clearing out my pond of fish, only just after I'd put in half a dozen new ones to top up the stock to about 16, he was in his element! I'll miss that from now on....and the texting!

HOS 18-12-2017 06:06 PM

Ah Friar I am sorry to hear about your best mate. Its a reminder of our mortality.
I have lost several best mates over the years but it never stopped me having mates or even more best mates. Life is so effing transient? ;)

My little lady and I go to the cinema because we grew up with them and we often go and watch one of the kids cartoon movies becasue they are fun.
My son got a bit too old to use as an excuse when he was 18 and well over 6 foot tall :o
So now we have to go on our own, just the two of us.
I cant be bothered with all those mock super hero fillums with all that endless shoutin, bangin and crashin.
The last one we did see I asked them to turn it down :D
Still love the movies.

We laugh at anything and everything because we can. Humour is the best way to live. People remember you better if you make em laugh.
They never remember you if you're a miserable bugger because everyone else is.
Ever since my smash I realised the real value of life. That is to embrace it !
Its mine, I own it :) warts and all.

When you look at some of the worlds finest funny men, haven't they usually had a tough life? Its having been through hard times that gives you that way
of looking sideways at everything and seeing the funny side that others might not?

The most important thing is being able to laugh at yourself. If you can't laugh at yourself for being a fool then you are doomed !

Friar Tuck 19-12-2017 05:24 AM

You and I, next year in the warmer weather, we are going to have to get together and have a good ride out!.....

HOS 19-12-2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck (Post 665764)
You and I, next year in the warmer weather, we are going to have to get together and have a good ride out!.....

I am definitely up for that !
We just need to get the bikes road ready.
I may well be in the garage seeing as the weather forecast is warmer weather over Christmas week. I think the little lady would like to fit a speed limiter on mine :o :D

Friar Tuck 20-12-2017 05:05 AM

My Missus won't even sling a leg over the bike when it's standing still in the garage! That suits me fine, I can get away by myself for a few hours. I'm not a great speed merchant nowadays, don't mind straight lines but not a twisty knee down merchant. Point and squirt, me! Ooerr!

HOS 20-12-2017 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck (Post 665778)
My Missus won't even sling a leg over the bike when it's standing still in the garage! That suits me fine, I can get away by myself for a few hours. I'm not a great speed merchant nowadays, don't mind straight lines but not a twisty knee down merchant. Point and squirt, me! Ooerr!

My high speed days are over, except maybe the odd long straight when there's no traffic.