100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/index.php)
-   Biker Chat (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   100% biker (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51294)

whistler 30-04-2016 10:47 AM

100% biker

I haven't posted for a while, but just got new issue through the door and thought I'd post some of my opinions on the mag, for what their worth.

Over the last few months I 've not enjoyed the mag as much, and I wasn't sure why. With this new issue I think I'm starting to know what I don't enjoy as much.

Now bear in mind this is just my opinion:

To many classic / vintage type bikes. , I know it's the current fashion, but to many cafe racers, and I just find the mag a bit bland at times.

To redress some balance, the mag is informative, polished and professional.

When I look at my post, I find I'm contradicting myself, but I don't enjoy the mag as much and I've read it since issue one. What do others think.

HOS 30-04-2016 11:36 AM

I can't speak about 100% Biker, but I have noticed that cafe racers conversions of older bikes has gone too far.
There are too many and only a small percentage are built well or very well.
I still like cafe racers, but it's a bit limited.

OLDMAX 30-04-2016 11:40 AM

yeah know what you mean about some of the bikes featured, thought the same myself. each to there own though im just not open enough to some of the new ideas in building and customs.
still a good mag (even though I didn't get the event guide mag with mine) :D

whistler 30-04-2016 12:30 PM

Maybe that's what I'm picking up on, that I'm just not in tune with the current styles in the custom world. Some of the bikes look either unrideable or just poorly put together. I really don't like the current trend of cafe racers or the lifestyle fashions and trends that go with it. Maybe it's to much of that I'm picking up in the mag.

BikerGran 30-04-2016 08:36 PM

I never get to see the mag nowadays - they used to have it in my local newsagents, and it always sold - I know that cos if I didn't buy it as soon as I saw it, there would be none left when I went in again!
But new people took over and they don't have it any more...

But my five penn'orth is that a lot of these bikes are built purely for looks, and not for riding. I blame all these TV progs that make building stuff look so easy.

whistler 30-04-2016 11:25 PM

I always liked chops, bobbers and more street based customs and my tastes have never changed since the early days of me getting into bikes and reading BSH, AWOL etc.
I can appreciate the Vic Jeffords, Choppershack bikes etc, and I know they get ridden. I used to like Odges bikes, but the ones he's building now look to classic for my tastes.
Think the mag has lost some of its character, or maybe it's me not moving with the times. Still enjoying the 2 other bike mags I get though.

Friar Tuck 01-05-2016 05:22 AM

I've just spent ages writing a monologue and the effing machine has logged out so I've lost all the input! Fuckit! I aint writing it again!

Suffice to say that Customizing is an evolution, and now the mag has had a new editorship (for sometime now I may add) it is inevitable that the style will change, with each change of a new leadership.

whistler 01-05-2016 09:15 AM

Could be something to that, I've enjoyed all the various styles of the mag over the years that have come with each editor, some brought a more dynamic approach than others over the years. As far as evolution goes, is it not that everything goes in cycles, it's just the current one not appealing to me I suppose.

SS2 01-05-2016 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck (Post 659960)
I've just spent ages writing a monologue and the effing machine has logged out so I've lost all the input! Fuckit! I aint writing it again!

Suffice to say that Customizing is an evolution, and now the mag has had a new editorship (for sometime now I may add) it is inevitable that the style will change, with each change of a new leadership.

Not sure it's owt to do with the change in editors cos the 'other one' has changed similarly. They're both just following current trends in customising/lifestyle, which is kinda their job innit. It will evolve again, just stay tuned;)

Friar Tuck 02-05-2016 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS2 (Post 659968)
Not sure it's owt to do with the change in editors cos the 'other one' has changed similarly. They're both just following current trends in customising/lifestyle, which is kinda their job innit. It will evolve again, just stay tuned;)

Exactly. Some for the better....

It's a personal choice. I'd rather stick with this fine editor than the other one. As you say they follow different trends in the customising scene. Some do it with a bit of panache, others blunder along blindly, and don't realise, the... err how can we put this delicately? what a fuck up and upset they create along the way!

At the end of the day, it's the magazine that get's the readership and both cover different aspects of the customising scene, and it all depends on the individual taste of which type of custom one prefers...

whistler 02-05-2016 07:56 PM

Don't have a problem with either editor, enjoyed both mags with each at the helm. I just prefer the mags with less vintage looking bikes, and less cafe racers (which probably puts me in the minority). Think both editors bring their own approach. As an aside I plucked up when the mag changed editorship, an anti Nik feeling, didn't get it myself.

Blue 03-05-2016 01:44 PM

Taken on board, Whistler. The problem is that custom magazines only reflect what's going on, they don't dictate it. As you rightly say, things go in cycles; 8-10 years it was all Harleys with massive rear ends and acres of chrome. If I had a quid for every cafe racer I see these days (and sometimes the definition of cafe racer is a bit loose), then I'd have my own tropical island and man servants by now. Even I limited that to flat twin caffs, then I'd still have a pretty big house! ;) So what will be the next big trend? I haven't a clue!

harry 03-05-2016 03:07 PM

For me it all started with building cafe racers. Its gone full circle apart from my knackered old back which can't manage the chin on tank riding position this time round.

My only gripe is the phrase "Old School" even worse is "Old Skool" dunno why it just gets on me tits.

whistler 03-05-2016 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue (Post 659981)
Taken on board, Whistler. The problem is that custom magazines only reflect what's going on, they don't dictate it. As you rightly say, things go in cycles; 8-10 years it was all Harleys with massive rear ends and acres of chrome. If I had a quid for every cafe racer I see these days (and sometimes the definition of cafe racer is a bit loose), then I'd have my own tropical island and man servants by now. Even I limited that to flat twin caffs, then I'd still have a pretty big house! ;) So what will be the next big trend? I haven't a clue!

Thanks Blue, I get it that the mag reflects the current trends. I just can't stand the current cafe racer one. It'll all come good again whatever the next cycle is.
I'll still stick with the mag, as said in initial post it, the mags polished , professional and informative.

mickthecrane 03-05-2016 07:11 PM

my view.

well people, some good criticism ive read, now my tuppence worth. i still enjoy the mag, yes there is a cafe racer trend, every where you look now. is it a bad thing? i dont think so, the mag is rolling with the times. i gotta say this though, i also bought the bsh recently, they have upped their game, i enjoyed it. gotta say though its still for the money men, 100% biker is all about new trends and wacky rides/shed builds, thats why i like it! id like to see more rat builds though!
also , if you cant get it at your newsagent , subscribe!, its cheaper!

OLDMAX 03-05-2016 07:51 PM

How about a sister mag '100% Hipster' :D

SS2 03-05-2016 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLDMAX (Post 659986)

Like it :D

Friar Tuck 04-05-2016 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue (Post 659981)

Bobbers and flat trackers?......may be sticking engines in penny farthings?

Friar Tuck 04-05-2016 06:36 AM

Quote:

WTF is a Hipster? I thought they were old 70's bell bottom jeans!.....:confused:

OLDMAX 04-05-2016 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck (Post 659989)
WTF is a Hipster? I thought they were old 70's bell bottom jeans!.....:confused:

Dont get out much do you ?

Sir Ewok 04-05-2016 12:09 PM

Quote:

How about a sister mag '100% Hip replacement' :D

Could try this as we are all getting older..... :p

Strider 04-05-2016 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck (Post 659989)

So did I ........ :confused:

Friar Tuck 05-05-2016 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLDMAX (Post 659995)
Dont get out much do you ?

Obviously not!...

Friar Tuck 05-05-2016 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Ewok (Post 659996)
Could try this as we are all getting older..... :p

now this I can relate to...although I have yet to experience this delight!..

Friar Tuck 05-05-2016 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strider (Post 660000)
So did I ........ :confused:

Not just me then...thank goodness!:o

Grav 18-05-2016 10:50 PM

There's far too many pigeon holes that folk seem desperate to fit themselves and their bike into these days. A lot of the current crop of Café and Brat style bikes are a load of shit and it's down to their owners getting completely the wrong end of the stick when trying to create their vision of what a Café Racer should look like. There's only a few that are worthy of being featured in any magazine, never mind ours, and to their credit the builders and owners of the featured bikes have got it spot on. However, the popular style of today will not be in such demand when the novelty wears off and people turn to the next big thing.

As for vintage and classic bikes being in the magazine I'm all for it. It reminds us of where Biking was in post war Britain, the popular mode of transport for the working class until cars became cheap enough for families to afford from the late 60's onwards. It doesn't matter if you call it nostalgia or historical interest, you have to admit there's some bloody nice old bikes out there and they are being rebuilt by young people who want to enjoy riding them. That's all that matters really. ;)

Friar Tuck 19-05-2016 05:48 AM

Spot on Grav! You aint lost all your marbles yet!

harry 19-05-2016 07:22 AM

I agree with Grav (except about Rugby) Me and the Lovley Lois used to work as stewards at the SouthWest Custom and Classic show at Shepton Mallet.
I loved the combination of old and new, and I like to have the old stuff in the magazine.

HOS 19-05-2016 08:51 AM

I like classic bikes a lot.
Slightly modified to bring them up to date in a tasteful way.
Some of the 1970s / early 80's big Jap 4's are not low on power even by todays standards.
The classic bikes also benefit from very cheap comprehensive insurance on a classic bike policy.

I see some of the cafe racer conversions sturggling to sell pitched at low prices when if they restored them to original they would be worth two ro three times more.

Sir Ewok 19-05-2016 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOS (Post 660192)
I like classic bikes a lot.
Slightly modified to bring them up to date in a tasteful way.
Some of the 1970s / early 80's big Jap 4's are not low on power even by todays standards.
The classic bikes also benefit from very cheap comprehensive insurance on a classic bike policy.

I see some of the cafe racer conversions sturggling to sell pitched at low prices when if they restored them to original they would be worth two ro three times more.

But would also cost a lot more to do a proper restoration, sweaty and old, I might be, but some bikes are better left of in 'original' condition that tarting them up.