100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/index.php)
-   Biker Chat (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   John Hopkins R.I.P. (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50802)

John Hopkins 24-04-2015 03:21 PM

John Hopkins R.I.P.

Hi I'm Wendy Hazelwood.

John was my Dad, He passed away Monday 20th April in his sleep. We don't know why yet.

you can email me on wendymariehazelwood@gmail.com

I'm sorry he's gone x

devon-tony 24-04-2015 07:46 PM

Oh god. Im so sorry.

harry 24-04-2015 11:28 PM

Don't know what to say. Condolences to all his family and his friends on here and elsewhere.

RIP John you are missed already

John Hopkins 25-04-2015 08:51 AM

never spoil a good story with the truth

In 1986, Peter Davies was on holiday in Kenya after graduating from Louisiana State University .

On a hike through the bush, he came across a young bull elephant standing with one leg raised in the air. The elephant seemed distressed, so Peter approached it very carefully. He got down on one knee, inspected the elephants foot, and found a large piece of wood deeply embedded in it. As carefully and as gently as he could, Peter worked the wood out with his knife, after which the elephant gingerly put down its foot.

The elephant turned to face the man and with a rather curious look on its face, stared at him for several tense moments. Peter stood frozen, thinking of nothing else but being trampled. Eventually the elephant trumpeted loudly, turned and walked away. Peter never forgot that elephant or the events of that day.

Twenty years later, Peter was walking through the Chicago Zoo with his teenaged son. As they approached the elephant enclosure, one of the creatures turned and walked over to near where Peter and his son Cameron were standing. The large bull elephant stared at Peter, lifted its front foot off the ground, then put it down. The elephant did that several times then trumpeted loudly, all the while staring at the man.

Remembering the encounter in 1986, Peter could not help wondering if this was the same elephant. Peter summoned up his courage, climbed over the railing and made his way into the enclosure. He walked right up to the elephant and stared back in wonder. The elephant trumpeted again, wrapped its trunk around one of Peter legs and slammed him against the railing, killing him instantly.

Probably wasn't the same fucking elephant.

This is one of those heart-warming bullshit stories my dad loves to tell.

Sir Ewok 25-04-2015 11:48 AM

Heartfelt condolences on the passing of your dad, we all shared a lot of laughs together and he will be sorely missed.

Friar Tuck 25-04-2015 12:54 PM

I am truly Shocked! This forum will not be the same without John. I am so glad I met him at Southwold last year!

My Heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

strima 25-04-2015 03:10 PM

Fucking hell, very bad news.

I think this news deserves its own thread.

Scoobydoo 25-04-2015 05:55 PM

John Hopkins R.I.P.

I've just read a thread to say John Hopkins has passed away . I'm hopping it's not correct but if it is I'm lost for words, I've never met John even though I go to Aberystwyth three or for times a year but it's been one of my aims to shake his hand . So tonight I'm going to have a drink and raise my glass to John Hopkins R.I.P

Strider 25-04-2015 06:52 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Just read the other thread, he will be so so so missed on here, bugger!!!

Devestated to hear of his family's loss. if his daughter can keep us informed I'm sure there must be a few that would like to pay our respects in person if possible

Strider 25-04-2015 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strima (Post 655505)
Fucking hell, very bad news.

I think this news deserves its own thread.

It has now

100%Pat 25-04-2015 08:25 PM

I never met John and I'm sad about that, although we had words about this forum at times, I know he always had its best interests at heart and I respect him for that, I will always be grateful for all the time and effort he put in to this place, without him it would have folded long ago.
A daft, funny and extremely interesting man... the forum will be a lesser place without him.
Goodnight John, sleep tight mate...xxx

100%Pat 25-04-2015 08:38 PM

I've made the other post a sticky and messaged huw to try to merge these comments with that thread as a memorial thread for john...

xxx please post your condolences for his family on there... Hopefully Wendy will feel up to letting us know when john's funeral is so people can make the trip...

BikerGran 25-04-2015 09:12 PM

I never met him but was thinking I might when I got over to Wales - seemed a nice bloke with a great sense of humour, he'll be missed.

My best wishes to his family.

His daughter Wendy said
Quote:

He passed away Monday 20th April in his sleep. We don't know why yet.
All I can say is, when you have to go, there couldn't be a better way. My dad went suddenly like that and once we got over the shock we could be glad for him.

The Beer Monsters 25-04-2015 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100%Pat (Post 655511)
I've made the other post a sticky and messaged huw to try to merge these comments with that thread as a memorial thread for john...

Done. I'm going to miss the daft bugger.

Shep 25-04-2015 09:53 PM

So sorry to read this.
Never met John, I would have liked to. He'll be missed.

Sincere condolences to Wendy and all the rest of his family.

Blue 25-04-2015 10:48 PM

He was one of the people who kept this forum alive and not just that, he made it an interesting and enthralling place. Not just this forum, but the world is a quieter and sadder place without him. Safe home, John, safe home.

mickturate 26-04-2015 05:24 AM

Riding away

I did meet John, he came to stay for a night on one of his journeys trying to find dry away from the rain that found him with such accuracy...
(and delight for the rest of us)

A gent. true proper gent, who would probably take the piss at these words :rolleyes:

Honour, love & respect, indeed.

Rest In Peace John

whistler 26-04-2015 09:12 AM

Never met John, but he was the heart of the forum. My heartfelt condolences to his family.

Dusty 26-04-2015 09:23 AM

A great sadness, John lived in the next town to me and I met him a couple of times. A great loss to us but even more so for his family who he lived for. RIP fella, safe journey.

harry 26-04-2015 09:52 AM

We met John, he came to Somerset for a funeral of a man he never met, but as a stalwart of MAGs beginnings John respected his memory.

As Mickturate says John was an old fashioned gent.

Grav 26-04-2015 12:28 PM

I don't get to visit here often these days, looking after the 100% facebook page takes some bloody doing at times. However I do pop in whenever I can to see how everyone is and to read John's posts as there was always something that made me smile. He truly is one of the finest characters this forum has ever had. Sleep well, John. :(

wodda 26-04-2015 04:09 PM

I never met John but I will miss his posts.
Sincere condolences to Wendy and all his family.

ALFIEBEARD 26-04-2015 04:26 PM

I also never met John..but his posts and wit often had me in raptures, how very very sad to hear of his passing condolences to the family.:(

Alfie

OLDMAX 26-04-2015 04:50 PM

So sorry to hear this, John was a real inspiration and came over as a great person, cant believe weve lost him!
R.I.P. John, give your wife a good hug now.
All the best to family and friends

John Hopkins .... Love and Respect .

SS2 26-04-2015 05:47 PM

Sincere condolences to all family and friends. He was a character right enough. He'll be a massive miss on here.

matthewmosse 26-04-2015 06:17 PM

Sad to hear this, condolences to the family. Like a fair few here I never met John but respected his contributions to this forum, and will miss his contributions.

wendy 26-04-2015 11:57 PM

my dad

Thank you guys, your kind words mean the world to me!!

gooseneck 27-04-2015 07:20 AM

A very sad loss to the community, such a fine man as John.

kidhaf 27-04-2015 07:20 AM

Shit just logged on to this .....I never met john but shared in travels via the forum. We would trade insults all in good humour and never with any malicious intent. The world is a colder place for his passing.

The folk down south can rest a bit easier knowing John was passing or even close many members would dig out the waterproofs. Although the rain followed him it never dampened his spirits.

So Long John I hope that the roads are dry where ever you are.

markju 27-04-2015 09:53 AM

Only ever looked on this forum as a guest, but feel the need to register so I can express my condolences as well.
Always enjoyed reading what John had written and I feel this forum/ community has lost a great character.

Condolences to his family.

Mark