100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/index.php)
-   Biker Chat (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Harley garage find (sort if) help required please (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50060)

GOBB 04-03-2014 08:54 PM

Harley garage find (sort if) help required please

I have been lucky enough to to inherent a 2008 xl1200 I have the key and fob (new battery in the fob)
I don't have much experience with fuel injection bikes (I ride a 2005 vt750)
Anyway the harley has been stood for about 2 1/2 years how to I clear the old fuel and any hint/tips on getting it started
Thanks in advance

John Hopkins 04-03-2014 10:52 PM

Hi welcome to the forum, fill in the user CP up there on the left and are you male, female or poof..

first read the battery voltage 13.2v would be nice..wasting your time if you have a flat battery..

remove the plugs and either fit new ones or clean the old ones and dry them on a baking tray in the oven..

if the oil is black you might as well change it and the air and oil filters..

then leaving the plugs in pull one of the plugcaps off and fit a spare plug to the cap..push the plug thread against the cylinder head with a piece of wood and switch on the engine, press the starter and see if the spare plug sparks..

You only need fuel air and spark to start the bike..

now you need to get back to us with the results before you can go further.

John.

BikerGran 05-03-2014 09:35 PM

Erm - John - did you notice he said 'fuel injection' ?

harry 05-03-2014 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BikerGran (Post 648828)

Obviously :rolleyes:

John Hopkins 05-03-2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BikerGran (Post 648828)

Yep..dirty air filters can block the injectors..

Oh I see what you are thinking..You are mixing fuel injection with diesel engines..the injectors replace the carbs and squirt a timed amount of fuel into the combustion chamber where it is ignited by the sparkplug..they are pretty good really..

John.

BikerGran 05-03-2014 09:54 PM

I'm sure they can, but all I know about fuel injected engines is - they don't have plugs!

harry 05-03-2014 09:57 PM

Me or you John

John Hopkins 05-03-2014 09:59 PM

you harry..

John.

harry 05-03-2014 10:06 PM

It's diesels that don't have spark plugs.
Strictly speaking they should be called compression ignition engines or C.I.

Petrol injection still uses plugs.

harry 05-03-2014 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Hopkins (Post 648836)
you harry..

John.

That means I get the bollocking dunnit :eek:

John Hopkins 05-03-2014 10:29 PM

No..I just bow to your superior knowledge..

John.

Shep 05-03-2014 11:08 PM

GOBB, if it's been stood for a couple of years with old fuel in, the first thing is to get rid of any in the tank. You may be lucky and not have any waxing in the injection system, but don't try to start it with the old fuel in.

If it won't start, or just splutters and dies, it's a clean out job. I've been told these ultrasonic cleaners can work, I'll be interested how you get on cuz one of our members has the same problem.

gooseneck 06-03-2014 12:05 AM

You must get the fuel tank empty of all fuel, they unplug fairly easily from the fuel lines, but you do need to know how to do it, so get a manual or advice on how to get that done, then take the pump out the bottom of the tank & clean the filter etc up, likely to have some crud here, ditch the fuel in the tank too.
These FI bikes require a good battery at the best of times, so make sure that is in place.
I would like to see some further words of wisdom before trying to fire the bike up, as residual stale fuel will remain in line of the injectors.
Not a lot of help from me, but get things right before you try to start the bike.

John Hopkins 06-03-2014 01:14 AM

The problem with modern fuel is the sugar based additives..ethanol and suchlike, they form a varnish over time which is almost gluelike and this can block small apertures like jets and injectors, but in two years these additives have already done any damage they are going to, of course you can drain the fuel and flush the system with fresh fuel and then probably start the bike, you can then put a cleaner like seafoam through the bike, I believe Redex still do a cleaner you can use, but don't throw away the old fuel, pour it into your car and it will be fine to use, you can actually put it back into your bike and run it for a really long journey, but as the car will use it quicker that is the best way to use it.

John.

BikerGran 06-03-2014 01:11 PM

:o:o:o

Oh yeah, it's carbs they don't have isn't it? When I posted that I was sure I knew what I was talking about!

What the heck, I'm old and I'm female, I'm used to being wrong. Wish there was a smilie for 'water off a ducks back' ! :D

GOBB 06-03-2014 07:35 PM

Thanks all for the advice keys should arrive tomorrow so time permitting should get a play this weekend will keep you all posted

GOBB 15-03-2014 07:07 PM

Update

Fresh fuel new spark plugs and battery and BOOM!!:D
It's sprung in to life sounds awesome now let the cleaning commence :thumbd: