100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/index.php)
-   Biker Chat (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Pot hole damage (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50038)

boysworstcat 23-02-2014 01:50 PM

Pot hole damage

Anybody have any experience in seeking compensation from the a local council for damage caused to a bike from hitting a pot hole? Hit a whopper of one yesterday and it has buggered my exhaust.

John Hopkins 23-02-2014 05:19 PM

You must have heard the saying you can't fight city hall..

The problem is the council have solicitors that get paid whether they work or not, so you have to pay for your solicitor and theirs.

so it all comes down to the person you complain to, has he just damaged his vehicle on a pothole or does he think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

It will probably cost you less to pay for the damage yourself.

Of course if the council pay you will they have to pay everyone who goes over a speed hump.

John.

SS2 23-02-2014 05:42 PM

Tried to claim 2 years ago after I hit a massive pot hole which resulted in my front wheel having a lovely eyebrow effect.

The process was very matter of fact. They gave me a claim no. straight away and said they would investigate. The road system apparantly has a timetable when checks should be made. If the timetable has been adhered to, you get nowt, if it hasn't you do. Within a couple of weeks I was sent copies of the road defect reports that had been carried out on that particular stretch of three months previously. All above board and no recompense for little old me:(. The only exception to this would be if the council had been informed of the defect prior to the event and had failed to make a repair in a reasonable time period. That's my experience anyway. Cost me bugger all, just an e-mail, so you may as well give it a shot.

wurzel 23-02-2014 08:51 PM

Go and look at pothole again and see if it is marked with paint (and if so what colour) that will tell you if they knew about it already if marked with white paint (or gas if yellow, waterboard if blue electricity if red, cable/bt if green) - also look on fixmystreet to see if already reported. If it hasn't been and given weather then you have little chance but if they knew more than few weeks ago then they are unlikely to fight other than over size of payout as they know they would lose

Biker Buster 24-02-2014 02:13 PM

Or.... Get someone to report the defect now, then put in a claim in a fortnight...

Bastards have way too much wriggle room.

John Hopkins 24-02-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biker Buster (Post 648577)
Or.... Get someone to report the defect now, then put in a claim in a fortnight...

Bastards have way too much wriggle room.

That must be one of the best ideas..however when you put the claim in they will probably send someone out with a bucket of tarmac and then refuse the claim saying that it was repaired in a reasonable time..

I don't think you can win..

What would be interesting is to find out if anyone has been able to make a successful claim for pothole or speedlump damage to a vehicle since the introduction of traffic calming measures...if so it would be helpful to know how they did it..

And now that speed lumps are an everyday hazzard why aren't they part of the off road driving test..

John.

Mitch 26-02-2014 07:22 PM

Call the old bill on their non-emergency number. Ask to be put through to Traffic. You might get a bike cop. :)

Report it to them, saying you've come off. That usually puts the shits up the council! :D