100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/index.php)
-   Biker Chat (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   CBRTIM the tribute bike to my eldest son :) (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49695)

Creature 22-11-2013 05:41 PM

CBRTIM the tribute bike to my eldest son :)

5 Attachment(s)
Heres my new post, its gonna take a while to catch up and will follow the build. Most of the pics n info will be on my facebook page as its easy there, than tryting to list loads of pics on here.

Back on 2010, I was given a cb1000 chop that I could do anything with, but Saf wanted me to take here for a long spin and that I couldnt sell it.

Little did I know the journey a twat and life were to take us all on.

So here is the story of CBRTIM, Tim n me hope you enjoy.

The bike had been sat outside for a few years, and took us a while to free enough off, so we could get it in the van :)

As you can see she had been slide down the road a few times and was in a sorry state.

Creature 22-11-2013 05:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Too be honest, at this stage I didnt know what I was gonna do with it, as i Had Kurgan and altho he had short comings, I didnt really give the cb1000 a look in.

Suffice to say it stayed in the back of the transit, till I need the van for disco bookings.

Creature 22-11-2013 05:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Anyway for most of 2010 and a till Feb 2001 it sat outside our kitchen window, apart from when people looked at it, I never gave it a thought :(

Creature 22-11-2013 06:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
as can be seen, its looking the worse for ware, but ive spent the last few months tidying up the workshop and selling a lot of my GS1000 stuff off, as something started to stir and I kept looking at a bike, that I was givem but in all honesty I hated!

It wasnt my style but then that horrible gut feeling hit me and I knew something was gonna rise from this wreck!

But WHat! I just didnt know. and If I am honest with myself the water coolled engine scared me shitless

Creature 22-11-2013 06:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Anyway - the bikes still outside and April rolls up and a chance post sees me buying another cb1000 Big One for not a lot of Money, but with a lot of bits I am gonna need :)

I knew the engine on mine was seized and several other bits were seized or in rough condition, so a load of beer tokens later and this is delivered all the way from devon somewhere :)

I had only just put a floor in and as can be seen the workshop build is still in progress!

So Space is tight.

Creature 22-11-2013 06:12 PM

Thats it for 2010 & 2011 :)

I will sort some more pics out and update as I can :)

100%Pat 22-11-2013 06:17 PM

Looking forward to seeing the build mate, Im sure you will do him proud..:grouphug:

Creature 22-11-2013 07:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Febuary 2012 arrives and the donor CB1000 has been stripped of its engine for mine, and many other useful parts.

I start to put all the parts i dont want with it including my seized engine plus another engine thats a runner.

Anyway theres loads of bits in boxes so I put it on Ebat at 399.00 and it dont sell. two days later get a message offer me 500. cash for it all.

So he comes round takes a look at the frame and just hands me the money, a happy bunny half hour later and its all loaded up in his van and hes on his way. ( hes now rebuilt it and its on the road, he often nipps round as he says I am his first port of call if he needs anything :) )

Creature 22-11-2013 08:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Right were upto 15th Febuary the strip down has started, but I am still sorting out the workshop, so my time is devided between them.

Pic 1 - Loom I miay use
Pic 2 - Acewell speedo i also have teh pic ups will be on ebay shortly
Pic 3 - The tanks off - old one as weel as built of 3mm steel :)
Pic 4 - mmmm looks rough
Pic 5 - Battery held on by cable tie :(

Creature 22-11-2013 08:26 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Pic 6 - I like the flow of the shock and electric box :) but will it be there at the end?

Pic 7 - rearseat comes off - probally end up on Ebay - not made my mind up yet.

Pic 8 - Sopld for silly momey on Ebay - but who cares its money in the rebuild pot :)

Pic 9 - Riders seat comes off - probally end up on Ebay - not made my mind up yet.

Pic 10 - Rear Mudguard looks good n solid, so was horrified to find its fibreglss! - not sure wether gonna use yet.

Creature 22-11-2013 08:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Pic 11 - Nope dont like it - I like a proper rear light and the angle and size of No. plates just begging to be pulled - its gonna end up on ebay at some stage.

Pic 12 - rear frames all bare, was horified when i lifted the rear of the bike up by these two arms and they bent!

Pic 13 - Fuel filter making me nervious about state of the carbs!

Pic 14 - Rad dont look to healthy

Pic 15 - But i really like this idea of mounting the coils :)

Creature 22-11-2013 08:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
19th Feb and I finally get some free time, or to be honest am well enough to get doown the workshop.

Pic 1 - up the exhaust port donmt look promising :(

Pic 2 - Nice well built electrics box - altho I like it not sure if i will use it

Pic 3 - The only time wedont mind a bike laying on its side

Pic 4 - Engines out and back up on its wheels

Creature 22-11-2013 08:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
20th - 22nd Feb 2012. mot been too good again, so not had much time down the workshop, these next pics are spread over 2 days :(

Pic 1 - Love thses exhausts - cant wait to here what the sound like :)

Pic 2 - Ready for final dissasembly

Pic 3 - the frame lift arrives

Pic 4 - and is soon in use ( far better than a milk bottle crate :)

Pic 5 - Rerar end removed

Creature 22-11-2013 08:56 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Pic 6 - front ends removed

Pic 7 - Out side for a good wash with gunk and hot fairy liquid :)

Pic 8 - Frame now degreased is back on frame hoist :)

Pic 9 - Broken bolt to be drilled out

Pic 10 - MMMMMMMMMMM not exactly straight!

That it for now, gotta find more pics that i took and refresh what I did, but the start of the build is pretty soon if memory serves me correct :)

Creature 22-11-2013 10:49 PM

5 Attachment(s)
23rd Feb 2012

Well were back down the workshop. and dispite some misgivings I start to put the bike back togeter, well parts that I am happy with or will mod as I go.

Mark has come over from Peterboro to give us a hand

Pic 1 - We have cleared the floor area and have asked Tim to come and give me a hand for a few minutes.

Pic 2 - We lay the engine on its side

Pic 3 - And we soon had the engine in the frame.

Pic 4 - with me lifting the bike up by the framerails, Tim slides the frame jack underneath.

Pic 5 - We have to add some blocks as the sump fowls the jack

Creature 22-11-2013 10:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Pic 6 - frame is foamed up and tied down :)

Pic 7 - Its not going anywhere now :)

Pic 8 - Ive washed and roughed up the yoke stem

Pic 9 - sprayed with plastic coat :)

Thats it for today, not a lot I can do in here with wet paint around

Creature 22-11-2013 11:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
24th Feb 2012

Nipped over to Wombat n Stiens in peterboro, to make up some engine mounts from stainless threaded bar :)

Pic 1 - I had already cut them to lenghth

Pic 2 - But wanted the thread removed from most of the bar to make room for some copper eaze :)

Pic 3 - All done - now should no longer suffer the stiff or seized engine bolt syndrome. :)

Creature 22-11-2013 11:56 PM

5 Attachment(s)
25th Feb 2012.

Its time to start the slow process of putting it back together, well it seems bloody slow compaired to stripping it all down ! :)

Pic 1 - The stems all greased up - with way to much grease, but the excess will wip away, plus with it sitting in the shed till its built will hopefully protect the bearing ans race :)

Pic 2 - and its soon all bolted up and it turns beuatifully :)

Pic 3 - The replacement engine mount holes are smaller than the engine I removed :(

Pic 4 - some drilling soon cures this.

Pic 5 - All ready for nuts n washers :)

Creature 24-11-2013 06:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
29th Feb 2012

After a few days shipping out items sold on Ebay, the build beer token pot is starting to look healther :)

Pic 1 - The top rear engine mounts washed n polished, the bolt cleaned up

Pic 2 - Top rear Engine mount fitted :)

Pic 3 - mmmm Bottom mount bolt fitted, - now there were no spacers when the bolt was removed! Explains why the bolt wasnt done up tight tho!

Pic 4 - Time to look at the inside of the carbs ! bloody lime green :( - dunno what it is but these are going in the bin as totally useless.

Pic 5 - First rebuilt Fork leg fitted - only Took Marek n me 4 bloody hours to strip and rebuild!

Creature 24-11-2013 07:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pic 6 - Meanwhile I put the finishing Polishing touches to the Top Yoke

Pic 7 - Top Yoke fitted and looking good.

Thats it for today

Creature 24-11-2013 11:08 PM

5 Attachment(s)
2nd March 2012.

Pic 1 - Time to hit the old polishing wheel

Pic 2 - Well one riser at a time :)

Pic 3 - Risers Bolted on

Pic 4 - Brand new Handle Bars fitted

Pic 5 - Polished Fork leg, just before assembly :)

Thats it today, not much done as most of the day took up onthe polishing wheel :)

Creature 24-11-2013 11:18 PM

4 Attachment(s)
7th March 2012 - after a bit of time out to get Kurgan back on the road, its time to do a bit more to the cbr1000f

Pic 1 - Time to dismantle, check over and clean the swing arm ans parts

Pic 2 - Careful inspection of the disc reveals it has a crack in it :( ( In fact all 3 discs were cracked)

Pic 3 - All stripped down, washed and polished.

Pic 4 - The Shock and swing arm get refitted

Pic 5 - The rear wheel with Sprocket and a different brake disc, I found among the boxes of parts

See ya tomorrow

Creature 24-11-2013 11:28 PM

5 Attachment(s)
9th March 2012, I know its more than a day, but was waiting on Honda to send me the gaskets,seals,washers etc to finish rebuilding the forks!

Pic 1 - Front Yokes all lined up

Pic 2 - Broken seized in mudguard mount bolts drilled out, tubbed and new bolts and washers fitted

pic 3 - On goes the rear seat

Pic 4 - Finally Mark and Me finish rebuilding the forks! - Never again Ill pay some else to do them next time...

Pic 5 - Pic from the front - now starting to come together and look something like what I want.

But something niggling at my mind, but at this stage I just cant put my finger on it!

Creature 24-11-2013 11:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
12th March 2012

Pic 1 - I finally finnish the work bech, allowing me to get some of the cbr1000's bike parts of the floor :)

Pic 2 - on goes the left handle bar switch gear, not sure about the mirrors tho!

Pic 3 - On goes the front brakes master cylinder.

Not much work done on the bike, but when your refurbing the shed at the same time.....................

Creature 24-11-2013 11:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
14th March 2012

Pic 1 - Front wheel wash n polished and sporting a brand new tyre!

Pic 2 - Two replacement front discs have arrived :)

Pic 3 - Time to start on the Exhaust Headers

Pic 4 - Replacement Rad arrives

Pic 5 - And so does the Rad cover I want to use, shame they dont fit!

Creature 25-11-2013 05:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
15th March 2012,

Pic 1 - The replacement Discs get fitted

Pic 2 - Ignition coils fitted

pic 3 - Loom plus Electrics

Pic 4 - Electrics box

Pic 5 - Now Empty :) .

Creature 25-11-2013 05:49 PM

5 Attachment(s)
16th March 2012,

Pic 1 - replacement Discs fitted

Pic 2 - Rear wheels in frame :)

pic 3 - Half the exhaust fitted

Pic 4 - Looks reallymean :)

Pic 5 - Exhaust now fitted :) with Marks help

Creature 25-11-2013 05:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
16th March 2012,

Pic 1 - Replacement Rad arrived and now has the Stainless guard fitted :)

Pic 2 - front seat electrics plate partially made :)

pic 3 - Electrics plate with ICU & Rec/reg bolted on :)

Creature 25-11-2013 05:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
21st March 2012, Bit of a mix today also working on Kurgan, so not much done on cbr

Pic 1 - Electrics box fitted

Pic 2 - Spent ages on these but just hate them - so they gotta come off!

pic 3 - Electrics plate gets painted

Creature 26-11-2013 01:55 PM

5 Attachment(s)
22nd March 2012,

Pic 1 - Seat Electrics plaine lined with some lyno flooring and Reg.Rec bolted on

Pic 2 - Electrics seat plate bolted into place :)

pic 3 - Seat just sat on for the moment, need to sort front mounts.

Pic 4 - New Ignition Switch arrives

Pic 5 - Prep work for making battery box