100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   bikes have taken over my life. love it.x (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49661)

mistyjoyangel 18-11-2013 05:41 PM

bikes have taken over my life. love it.x

hi to you all no idea how any of this works or wot to say just while the weather is shit out there and my fingers are getting to cold in the evenings to work on my bike I thought I would give one of these forums ago so here I am, always loved bikes and muscle cars big V8s. I have built a katana 550 streetfighter rat my first big bike but WOW wot a buzz getttin your hands dirty workin on the old air cooled. don't know much about bikes but just have such a kick working on them and learning. being a single mum I have all the time to put to the bike. but I do come a cropper with things I can't do so maybe some kind people that know so much more then me could help oh and maybe make some friends too. anyway there hello. misty :thumbsu:

Scoobydoo 18-11-2013 06:47 PM

I'm glad you like to get your hands dirty , when it gets to cold just put it in the living room beats telly

100%Pat 18-11-2013 06:55 PM

you are very welcome... take a break, light up a fag.. or make a brew and join in..:thumbsu:

John Hopkins 18-11-2013 07:25 PM

Good first post,

Welcome to the forum.

John.

mistyjoyangel 18-11-2013 09:14 PM

funny you should say that my bike is in the kitchen so I can put a new tail light on but she is not playin fair and sump is leakin so have to get a new sump the thread has gone. not a job i'm lookin forward to doin on the carpet but who cares. the thing is I don't smoke or drink hate telly love music and tattoos :rock: so my ability and knowledge limits me to how much I can do with the bike I find myself just lookin at her sometimes hopin the fix it fairy will help me out.:thumbsu:

BikerGran 28-11-2013 10:26 PM

You don't need a new sump if it's just the thread where the drain bolt goes in - drain the oil, get the sump off, take it to a bike workshop (maybe a car workshop but I don't know about that) and get them to helicoil it.

By the way. a cat litter tray makes an excellent oil drian pan and costs a fraction of the ones that are sold for the purpose!

Bosun 29-11-2013 07:22 AM

just remember to remove the cat first..

hello and welcome

John Hopkins 29-11-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BikerGran (Post 645321)
By the way. a cat litter tray makes an excellent oil drian pan and costs a fraction of the ones that are sold for the purpose!

Or just cut the side out of an empty oil can with a stanley knife and put the lid back on, might save getting a cat.

John.

devon-tony 29-11-2013 05:15 PM

Greetings from "sunny???" Devon :)

John Hopkins 29-11-2013 06:11 PM

This might help..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/12092...f13=80&ff14=83

Sump plug repair kit 11..

Just make sure you get the swarf out and if the sump is steel a pick up magnet might do it.

If the sump is aluminium you will need to flush, the old oil put through a kitchen strainer with some kitchen paper towel will do..

John.

100%Pat 02-12-2013 06:37 PM

sadly this newbie didnt come back...:(

Friar Tuck 14-12-2013 07:45 AM

Another one John's frightened orf?

mistyjoyangel 15-12-2013 11:27 PM

I haven't gone far just don't sit on a laptop to often and to be honest never done this before so it's not the first thing I think of I'm a dooer not a sit on ass kind of person:p lol. single mum nearly Christmas ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. oh and about to move just before as well to lovely moretonhampstead. can't wait meant to be some cool biker pubs there and a bit of rock and roll. The sump has been fixed and is all good. (oh I did have 2 cats but my bull terrier shit them up and they fucked off).still bit slow on the tail light going to cheat and take it to ace motorcycles in bude. my fall back men:thumbsu: just want winter to fuck off get at least a bit of sun and no mud on roads so I can get out and hear my kat purr. :thumbu:

John Hopkins 16-12-2013 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistyjoyangel (Post 646045)
still bit slow on the tail light going to cheat and take it to ace motorcycles in bude. my fall back men:thumbsu: just want winter to fuck off get at least a bit of sun and no mud on roads so I can get out and hear my kat purr. :thumbu:

Get a manual for the bike, it will cost less than a shop..my wife went to school in Bude.

Look at your brake light and tail light are they one or two bulbs..let's try to make the fault finding easy..does the brake light work..if it does do you only have two wires to the tail light..If so one goes to ground, (any part of the frame) and the other goes to the ignition switch, probably..I dont have a manual for any bike I dont own..You can buy a digital multimeter for under 10..it's a good investment...If you dont know how to use it ask before you blow it up..turn on the ignition switch, set the multimeter to dc volts and connect the black lead to any bare metal on the frame, your child would love to help by holding it there, next touch one of the two tail light wires with the red lead..one of the wires should read 13 volts, the other should read 0 volts, obviously they dont or the light would work..If they both read 13 volts the fault is a broken connection on the earth wire, if one reads 13v and the other reads 5 or less that is probably the faulty earth wire...If they both read 0v then you have lost the voltage from the ignition switch..usually a red wire..

If you do have 13v on one wire and 0v on the other then either the bulb or the fitting is broken..

If you don't understand any of this .. ask..

John.

Friar Tuck 16-12-2013 08:17 AM

Que?.......

cyberluddite 16-12-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck (Post 646052)
Que?.......

They don't use lights in Norfolk......gives 'em away to the Excise Men:D

Welcome from Deepest Oxfordshire:thumbsu:

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a 'fix fairy'.......just a 'fuck-up fairy...

......that drains your battery while you sleep

.....or blows bulbs on the way to the MoT

.....or turns that 'five minute job' into a minor rebuild!:mad:

Perhaps the answer is one of those bells like the Harley/Wing crowd use.:unsure:

mistyjoyangel 16-12-2013 06:23 PM

i have a new tail light it's a led one, i have brake light but no tail light. i have a manual and have spent hours going through the loom to find that it looks like something has been melted, the bike runs fine nothing else is affected but the wires look burnt but like a long time a ago. i got given this bike as a none runner. it was all standard till i got hold of it. and this is the first time i have put the taillight on, i think it was the fuck up fairies not the fix it ones. i will have to set to it again once i have moved. i still ride her out just in sunny day time. lol. i hate things that stop play on the bike i get lost with wot to do. bude nice to visit but dead to live there it's just got wrong over time. i only go there to ace, the boys are a laugh and i like watchin and hearin the bikes on the dyno tehehehehehe. i don't really want to be beaten by a taillight but I'm not a lecky person.:)

triumphbill 16-12-2013 06:46 PM

First try and do what John recommends to see what voltages are around.

If the loom is damaged and only the tail light is not working as you said then I would run another wire from the tail light connection on your LED light to the front 'Pilot' light 'live' wire. I assume you have a working front pilot light?

cyberluddite 16-12-2013 08:28 PM

If you don't have a multimeter and can identify which is the earth wire (not everybody uses black), try swapping over the two feed wires. If the tail light comes on when the brake is applied, then you'll know the fault is in the wiring. If it doesn't but the brake light works when you switch the lights on, then you'll know the fault is in the light unit. Remember that led's are one-way valves so won't work if connected the wrong way round.

BikerGran 16-12-2013 08:51 PM

I think LED lights need some sort of special wiring or converter or - that's if the rest of the light are NOT led....

Probably not a Bad idea to take it to the shop IMO!

cyberluddite 16-12-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BikerGran (Post 646104)
I think LED lights need some sort of special wiring or converter

You need a special relay for indicators as they only use a fraction of the power of bulbs(so won't trigger a normal relay) or ballast resistors if you have them as a mixed set (such as front or rear). Don't think it makes any difference to other lights....they just use a lot less power.

John Hopkins 16-12-2013 10:50 PM

ok you have a led tail light...easy..remove the light.. connect the two led light connectors to a battery (12v) does it light up..yes..it is ok..
no ..reverse the connections..does it light up..yes..the wires were connected the wrong way round..the light is ok..

Now you only need 12v supply to the leds..

you have two wires going to where the tail light was fitted..turn on the ignition key..touch one wire to the metal of the frame does it spark..yes..that is your 12v supply for the light.. no..try the other wire...yes..that is your 12v supply.

If no spark you need to run another wire from any other light that is working.

In the unlikely event that the led still doesnt work you will have to run a new ground wire as well.

John.

Friar Tuck 17-12-2013 06:21 AM

Que?.............

John Hopkins 17-12-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck (Post 646116)
Que?.............

LISTEN MANUEL,

I SHALL ONLY SAY ZIS ONCE..

John.

mistyjoyangel 17-12-2013 02:44 PM

i have a manual :D I will sit down and try all of the above you have all been very helpful but don't think me rude I'm about to move any time now also my sons 10th birthday on the 19th oh and Christmas crap and new year. weather is shit and well that's it tehehehe . I will get that light going if it bloody kills me. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL. I seem to have found myself on here a wee bit. no but really thank you for your help people. x

Friar Tuck 19-12-2013 07:07 AM

Ah, the a beeuutiful Laydee.....

Friar Tuck 22-12-2013 07:58 AM

Well that's definitely frightened her orf!

mistyjoyangel 24-12-2013 07:07 PM

I'm not easily frightened away just busy with thinkin I'm movin and packin only to find that i'm not until the 7th now all just happening at once. :D

Friar Tuck 25-12-2013 04:12 AM

You aint met us all yet...

You might change your mind then! Hope the move goes well.

mistyjoyangel 26-12-2013 05:02 PM

none of you have meet me now that's frightening. just want to go back to normal and summer to hurry up.:)