100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/index.php)
-   Biker Chat (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   building a chopper (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46638)

bigbike-r 29-01-2012 03:42 PM

building a chopper

Ive been in 2 minds for some time now over this
I started building a gsxr slabside and was gonna dress it all up with a yoshimura TT-f1 replica theme

but

I also want to do a chopper, ive seen the hardup chopper frames on egay that will slot a motor straight in but wich would you go for
in terms of easiness im thinking the chopper - once the engine is mounted in there its forks wheels seat and tank and your almost there plus they look cool
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/5cfff07f.jpg

I have this engine wich is a bandit 1200 - yoshimura heat shield, yoshimura style head cooler - I think it would look the dogs testicles in a chopper frame but am i throwing myself in at te deep end and expecting a lot less than in reality i will encounter - ive never built a hardtail, ive built a gsxr from the ground up

i just cant make my mind up so looking for opinions or advice really

shad 29-01-2012 04:34 PM

Having had a gixxer 750 powered hardtail chop, I would most certainly go for the chop option, but that's just me.

Hoggy 29-01-2012 04:43 PM

I've had a good look at the hard up frame i'd say go for it the build quality is very good and a good price too

ChopperFXR 29-01-2012 05:37 PM

I am working on a Guzzi in a Hard Up Choppers rigid frame. Have to say that the build quality is very good. Neat welding, quality materials and a pretty decent design. I will check with the owner and see if he is ok with me doing some pictures on here. Have to say that I like the frame.

I am probably giong to get some stick for this next bit. I had to give up hard tails because of the damage to my neck. My last rigid was the one I built while working for Revolution Motorcycles in Northampton. I used an ex drag bike Yam FJ1200 engine which was ballistic.

I loved that bike and it really hacked me off to admit defeat, realising that I could no longer take the constant battering on my spine from riding a rigid. I built that bike to be low and loud. It would easily out perform another FJ. As I built the bike for myself I got to know exactly how it performed and handled. A lot of sports bike riders were very surprised at how well I could take it round bends.

Based on that experience I would strongly advise you to consider how you set the bike up. You can mess around with different fork oil and fork springs. Varying tyre pressures front and rear and of course the tyres themselves. Sprung seats are a bit of a double edge sword. Possibly more comfy but springs can do funny things at times. A gel pad in the seat may well help.

Whatevr you do with a hardtail it will always be a hard tail. There is something very special about the look of them. They will always appeal. The downside is the comfort and handling is quite different.

Its your bike and you are paying the bill. If anyone tells you they don't like what you have done, tell them to f**k Off!

By the way, that engine would look brilliant in a hard tail chop. Good luck with your choice mate.

Chopper

bigbike-r 29-01-2012 06:04 PM

yeah the comfort thing had crossed my mind a couple times now, but tbh im not too fussed, im only 27 and there should be a bit of play in the spine yet. its more the style of them - I can go out and buy the latest gixxer or streetfighter an old one but 5-10 years down the line it will be an outdated tired looking machine
choppers appeal no matter what IMO - they never get old they just get better with age. I need a bike that Im gonna hold on to and be proud to own and I cant see that happening with the gixxer.
this is where the project has been for a good few months now and its just a headache to me - trying to decide wich forks find the right wheels for the look im after etc - with a hardtail once the motor is in the frame you can just about see your goal
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/830a6dd9.jpg

i have my kawasaki for daily riding, the chopper would be more a summer thing
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/a4b17be5.jpg

I contacted hardup chop's a while back and if i supply a headstock they will build the frame around it - wich also eliminates getting it registered as i can use headstock and v5 from a donar bike, i know strictly speaking its not ""legal"" but i think a lot of builders do this dont they?

onebaddaddy 29-01-2012 07:30 PM

I'd go for one of butlers frames... The wormburner frames from hardup choppers are real nice! Butler does a whole bunch of Sweet stuff.
Check out http://hardupchoppers.forumotion.co.uk/
For more info on HUC and other folks HUC builds.
There's supposed to be a HUC wormburner trike in the pipeline. :)

Good luck n keep us posted.

OBD

bigbike-r 29-01-2012 07:57 PM

these are cool too

http://gallery.myff.org/gallery/737479/cats%2520079.jpg
this was built by girders of airdire

http://gallery.myff.org/gallery/7370...3928_92211.jpg

this was built by vizman, the guy who does the cartoony pics in the streetfighters mags - i asked him a while back if he would build me a frame but he kept wondering away from the subject

arian 29-01-2012 10:35 PM

what to do

chop......give ya something diffrent todo....:thumbsu:

pingu 30-01-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbike-r (Post 626193)

I contacted hardup chop's a while back and if i supply a headstock they will build the frame around it - wich also eliminates getting it registered as i can use headstock and v5 from a donar bike, i know strictly speaking its not ""legal"" but i think a lot of builders do this dont they?

No,do the MSVA route. Don't cost much and no mot for three years. It's not worth trying to dodge the system.
And you'll never keep Viz on a straight line.....:rolleyes::D

bigbike-r 30-01-2012 12:01 PM

really? Ive never registered a frame before.

got half the cash for the frame now - if someone buys the gsxr frame tank and seat should be almost there. Joined that HUC forum, some interesting builds on there.

few oldskoolers on here huh?

arian 30-01-2012 05:18 PM

oldskoolers

were everywhere fromm vvoc through to 200mph.org and everywhere inbetween:D

Blue 31-01-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onebaddaddy (Post 626195)
I'd go for one of butlers frames... The wormburner frames from hardup choppers are real nice! Butler does a whole bunch of Sweet stuff.
Check out http://hardupchoppers.forumotion.co.uk/
For more info on HUC and other folks HUC builds.
There's supposed to be a HUC wormburner trike in the pipeline. :)

Top bloke, Graham. I have a lot of time for him and his frames.

JOE 31-01-2012 07:09 PM

I built (with a lot of help) a teapot engined hardtail chop. I was expecting a far harshe ride than i got. Chopper's advice is spot on - mess about with the easy to change things and you'll get something that is far more comfortable and nimble than it looks.

bigbike-r 31-01-2012 08:02 PM

ive spoken to graham in emails a while back about his frames, always seemed polite helpful and a decent bloke

i think thats the key to any custom bike, getting the suspension and comfort sorted. I had a 400 gsxr that was like a hardtail it was that stiff, wouldnt adjust too sack of shit!

i think a little experimenting with fork oils should get it. the other thing was i read somewhere that the power from a higher cc engine will be a lot more brutal with no rear shock to take most the force of takeoff?? could be a load of bullshit probably is. not too fussed, it will be bored out to 1340 eventually and many other internal modifications once i get used to riding it :thumbsu:

rob 31-01-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbike-r (Post 626279)
it will be bored out to 1340 eventually and many other internal modifications once i get used to riding it :thumbsu:

the 1371 kit uses the same liners as the 1340, just a 1mm bigger bore. (86, up from 85), and costs the same. ;)

ChopperFXR 01-02-2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbike-r (Post 626279)
ive spoken to graham in emails a while back about his frames, always seemed polite helpful and a decent bloke

i think thats the key to any custom bike, getting the suspension and comfort sorted. I had a 400 gsxr that was like a hardtail it was that stiff, wouldnt adjust too sack of shit!

i think a little experimenting with fork oils should get it. the other thing was i read somewhere that the power from a higher cc engine will be a lot more brutal with no rear shock to take most the force of takeoff?? could be a load of bullshit probably is. not too fussed, it will be bored out to 1340 eventually and many other internal modifications once i get used to riding it :thumbsu:

There is an element of truth in hardtails being more aggressive off the line. On a bike with shocks of some kind, as the power hits the back end sits down on the springs before the wheel starts to turn. The front forks will extend at almost the same time, and away you go.

With a hardtail the back end has nowhere to go except forward. Have a look at all the Funny Bikes and Top Fuel drag bikes. Someone must be able to find a close up slow motion video of a Top Fuel bike on launch. The burn out gets the rear tyre hot and sticky plus cleans the tyre. As the tyre breaks loose the centrifugal force makes the tyre grow upwards and narrows on the rim,lifting the back of the bike.

Soon as the burn out is done, the bike is moved back behind the line and then the rider brings it forward into Pre-Stage, the crew cannot touch the rider or bike once in Pre-Stage. Once both bikes are in Pre-stage they both move forward to the stage line and the marshall trips the lights. Drag bikes run very low tyre pressures and the tyres are specifically designed to take massive amounts of power.

Soon as the rider nails the throttle, as the tyre is hot and sticky the bike is thrown forward very hard. The only give is in the flex on the wheelie bar and the twist of the rear tyre on the rim.

Similar forces and reactions happen with a hard tail street bike. Bear in mind that street tyres are different compound and pressures and there is a hell of a lot less power hitting the wheel on a street bike.

I have been racking my brains to try and remember the title and author of a book I read about frame geometry and suspension. Explains everything in much fashion than I can. If I can find it I will PM you the details.

Chopper

rob 01-02-2012 08:41 AM

this'n??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motor-Cycle-...8085629&sr=8-1

this is the one i learnt from, nearly 30 years ago. wish i'd kept it, look at the price of it now!!!!

Blue 01-02-2012 03:19 PM

You can buy it cheaper direct from Tony Foale's web site, I believe...

bigbike-r 02-02-2012 06:43 PM

thats a fair old ammount for a book. i think ive seen it somewhere in pdf though if i find the link ill post it up.
deffinately going the chopper route now - engines already out and the gsxr frame and bits are sold
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/b4c594bd.jpg

right next to the fridge so i stub me toe on it often enough for me to pull me finger out and get it a frame so its out the way :thumbsu:

malc 31-07-2015 07:20 AM

Hi bloke, just picked up this thread doing a search, did you ever finish your build ?

swirl 31-07-2015 02:35 PM

One thing i found from building my chop isI had to make everything, nothing bolts together like a rebuild

bigbike-r 08-08-2015 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malc (Post 656611)
Hi bloke, just picked up this thread doing a search, did you ever finish your build ?

Almost... By strange coinsidence I've just posted a pic on here in the paint and striping thread, it's the red digger looking bike in the reply

zorro 03-09-2015 08:15 AM

Chop every time been riding hardtails /ridged,s for a touch over 25 years build a nice one proper frame goemetry good motor bandit 1200 bulit proof the huc frames are ok the bandit runnigg gear is good and forks can be set up as required my one handles is quick motor is stage 4 has 1100 cams and all sorts of other mods my frame is cromemoly and not a huc unit but i know the huc chaps and there very flexible with what you would want and have some nice stuff aswell do it once do it right you,ll love it regards z