100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/index.php)
-   Biker Chat (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Sept 25 - Day of Protest! (http://www.100-biker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45136)

Nik 12-07-2011 03:01 PM

Sept 25 - Day of Protest!

Hi Nik

Further to the meeting I've just had with the chairman of the committee of EU Internal Market and Consumer Protection (IMCO) I now have a better idea of what we are looking at as the Anti Tampering Regulation moves through the EU legislative process.

Amendments are on the table now and being discussed, like giving an opt out for special 'one-off' builders, (but only the British and the Finns want that) and also making ABS compulsory on mopeds too (Germans want that- or rather the German ABS industry wants that). When IMCO finally vote on this (4/5 or 6th Oct) it then goes to Parliament.

As this is a 'Framework Regulation' once passed it does not have to be transposed into Law in Individual Member States, as it will happen automatically.

So, as far as the 25th September Motorway Mayhem day goes, the 10 very real European issues that we still need to draw attention to are:

1- The Anti tampering Regulation: Specifically Article 18 which wants to stop all modifications to complete power train, from airbox to controlling the rear tyre profile.

2- Compulsory ABS. If we can't stop this, we must get a switch so that we have an option in difficult conditions where ABS doesn't function well.

3- Automatic headlights on- passing the blame for poor observation on to us.

4- OBD. On Board Diagnostics so that easy roadside checks can be made of our emissions and so that constant readouts of engine performance can be obtained. Expensive, complicated and with the threat, rather like a tacho, of identifying past riding style...

5- RMI. Repair and Maintenance Information. Rather than keeping it hidden and available for huge expense, there is a chance that manufacturers will be forced to provide ECU codes etc for a fee. What that fee is remains to be seen.

6- The very worrying article 52: "If systems, components or seperate technical units on a list in a delegated act to this regulation, have a dual use, for vehicles intended exclusively for racing on roads and for vehicles intended for use on public roads, they may not be sold or offered for sale to consumers"

So if your K&N filter can fit a CBR race bike and a CBR road bike, the best way to police that, is to make it illegal to sell the filter in Europe.

The Delegated Acts are the most scarey thing, as they are the lists and details drawn up by the unelected and we won't get to see what they are including until after the Regulation has been passed!

7- In solidarity with the French we will be drawing attention to their recent gov proposal to ban all bikes over 7 years old from an urban area and to make the wearing of day-glo/ reflective clothing compulsory.

8- Full sleeve day-glo clothing for riders and passengers has been proposed in the Irish Parliament too.

9- All these issues lead to the same thing, that we must take the blame for the incompetence of other road users. And while the emergency stop has been removed as a compulsory element of the car driving test, we are jumping through hoops with ill judged UK interpretation of EU licencing directives.

10- Another EU licencing Directive is on its way (3DLD) to step the bike licencing system still further and the DfT and DSA still haven't sorted even the consultation process, even though it is meant to be in law by now and enacted January 2013.

Plans for the day (25th Sept) are that all over the country riders meet at midday in M-way services (or suitable similar if there's no motorway to hand) and at exactly 13.00 groups of riders set off to ride perfectly legally at a sedate Sunday 45/50mph on the country's motorway network. Perhaps over bridges, near the confluence of other motorways etc.

The MAG and other websites will carry details of all the meeting places.

It's the simultaneous element that carries the weight, as even 50 bikes together will cause disruption, but happening everywhere across the country will be powerful and will have the traffic alerts discussing it. They'll be primed.

Riders will disperse as rapidly as they appeared, but after riding for a few junctions at below the speed the trucks use, our impact should be felt.

No need for marshalls, no one can go the wrong way.
No hot engines, no speeches, ride as far as you wish
One media contact number
The threat that we can do it again on a different day of the week will be established.

Our MEPs will be preparing to rubber stamp another regulation put before them. This time they may stop to read it.

Now I appreciate that this may be way too many words for your available space, but anything will be appreciated. If you could let the odd '25th September' appear subliminally throughout the magazine...
--
Kind regards

Paddy Tyson
Campaigns Co-ordinator
MAG (UK) - Motorcycle Action Group

wdavie 12-07-2011 03:32 PM

I for one will be joining any protests that are organised. Thanks for the info mate:thumbu:

richie 12-07-2011 05:48 PM

yes i will be on a motorway somewhere thanks for the info

Grav 12-07-2011 06:41 PM

In me diary.

pyro 12-07-2011 06:45 PM

Has Paddy Tyson spoken to the 'noto bikeparking tax' group? They have been screwing up central london every Wenesday for two years now.... it never makes the news

John Hopkins 12-07-2011 06:46 PM

See now that's where you go wrong...Publishing this all over the web and the first thing the government will do is arrange for it to piss down with rain on sept. 25th...

Just on the motorways.

John.

cruisin chris 12-07-2011 07:10 PM

Hey thats on a sunday , do it on a week day and realy fuck up the road network . Don,t need to many excuses for my lorry to breakdown whilst sitting in protesting bikes , try moving this one copper. Yes a demo on my bike is good but i can block two lanes with my wagon , bit more effective for you eh.

pastyman 12-07-2011 07:19 PM

now in diary - and copied onto another forum i use :thumbsu:

Beano 12-07-2011 09:29 PM

Will be there with a few ! :D
Thank you Nik.

wurzel 13-07-2011 09:15 AM

Why not make this a sticky until Sep ?

hardtailbiker 13-07-2011 11:15 AM

why a Sunday, won't make a blind bit of difference, do it on a Monday morning starting at 8am and that'll make a bigger stir

Conon 13-07-2011 07:28 PM

Jeez, if we can get 50 bikers to ride down the A9 from Inverness at 1.00pm on a Sunday afternoon, nobody would even notice!

Grav 17-07-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

7- In solidarity with the French we will be drawing attention to their recent gov proposal to ban all bikes over 7 years old from an urban area and to make the wearing of day-glo/ reflective clothing compulsory.
This will fuck everyone from the vintage bike enthusiast to chaps like me who prefer to ride old bikes cos we can't afford anything else. :mad:

John Hopkins 17-07-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grav (Post 615278)
This will fuck everyone from the vintage bike enthusiast to chaps like me who prefer to ride old bikes cos we can't afford anything else. :mad:

A seven year old bike is new to me..and the definition of urban is "pertaining to a town or city" all the villages I know are joined by towns so even if you live in a village the police can do you for riding to the next village..Just another way for them to collect fines and build up the penalty points.

John.

dodgyphil 19-07-2011 08:26 PM

anyone in the KENT area want to take part in a very gentle bimble, maybe through the pipe to Essex and over the bridge, or Essex to Kent n back..........now THERE's an idea a simultaneous demo from both sides, comments???

dodgyphil 19-07-2011 08:27 PM

Come on moderators.....stick it!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wurzel (Post 614926)
Why not make this a sticky until Sep ?

WURZEL, I COULDN'T AGREE MORE:thumbsu:

PeteHaddock 19-07-2011 09:29 PM

these laws are ridiculous! As said before it just gives layers another excuse to pass the blame to us. Not to mention how can you do a burnout with ABS :D

spock_gb 03-08-2011 10:06 PM

Initially I thought this was a great idea. Then I woke up and thought "Do I really want to cause hold ups to car drivers, on what is probabley their only day off from the daily grind of work ? " The answer to that is a resounding NO !

Nor do I want to suffer the venom of car drivers, everytime I go out riding after the 25th September.

Its quite a ridiculous idea really. Was the Trucker who wants to hold up 2 lanes involved in the fuel protests.... when the price of Diesel reached 90p per litre ?
Well its over 140p now....... what good did that do ?

To the guy who wants to hold up the Dartford Crossing......... It wouldn`t even notice mate. Its basically at a standstill from Friday afternoon to Sunday Evening, both ways, every weekend anyway.

I agree that something needs to be done to stop these Health and Safety rules coming in, but I don`t think this is the answer. I don`t even have an answer, and feel as frustrated about it as everybody else.

If the authorities want to ban all bikes over 7 years old from Urban areas, they will. They already do something similar in London, with the Euro 5 engines in Trucks.

Lets be fair........if ALL the major insurance companies insist that we wear long sleeved Hi Vis jackets, we WILL wear long sleeved Hi Vis jackets.... or give up riding.

This country is Fucked. And its gonna take a bigger revolution than MAG are planning, to sort it.

:thumbd: to MAG on this one

hacky 03-08-2011 10:18 PM

.if ALL the major insurance companies insist that we wear long sleeved Hi Vis jackets, we WILL wear long sleeved Hi Vis jackets.... or give up riding.

will i bollox!!!::mad:

John Hopkins 03-08-2011 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hacky (Post 616735)
.if ALL the major insurance companies insist that we wear long sleeved Hi Vis jackets, we WILL wear long sleeved Hi Vis jackets.... or give up riding.

will i bollox!!!::mad:

To be fair..we all wear helmets..we all wear seat belts..we are not allowed to smoke in our own cars...The ten year test is now three years..Lights, brakes and steering used to be all they tested..now it's even the size and colour of numberplates..No more ride outs for sunday lunch and a pint at a country pub..whatever they bring out we will have to conform..we have one of the biggest police forces in the world, backed up by technology all geared up to enforce new laws that allow the government to make more money from fines.

They could say you can't ride a bike unless you wear a turban and we would have to do it or they would take away our license...you make a stand and the police pull you once, then watch out for you as an easy pull to make their quota up.

John.

hacky 03-08-2011 11:47 PM

like i said john will i bollox..

Triker_spider 04-08-2011 07:24 AM

It would be great to think that a well organised 'event' to bring attention to the proposed bullshit plans would make those involved in putting forward the changes actually realise that most of them are either just plain ridiculous or totally unfair to the typical hardworking taxpaying biker/triker.The thing is in all honesty I doubt it would make any difference at all.

I know its not as simple as all this but if we supposedly live in a democracy shouldnt those that the laws affect have some sort of say as to how we live our lives. As John said to some people 7 years old is a new bike, I know for a fact that I couldnt afford a bike less than 7 years old, let alone a trike.

As usual all we can do is sit back and wait and then deal with the aftermath, so when will the law change so that all cars on the road have to be 7 years old max?? Can anyone see that one ever happening??

Might sound completely over the top, and probably is but if all these idiot laws go through get every motorcycle group, club and organisation in Europe to go to the European court of human rights, as they are effectively trying to put a stop to some peoples way of life. Just think how many peoples livelihoods it could destroy for one.

It might be that I have read it all wrong and most of what I have put is complete BS, in which case I apologise for subjecting you all to it!!!

Nufkamp 04-08-2011 06:27 PM

We'll never change a fucking thing in this country untill we grow a pair the size of the ones owned by our 'cousins' across the channel. Their protest rides number tens of thousands, we're lucky if we can muster 500 from across the whole country - witness the Brum demo.
Perhaps we need to fly a Help For Heroes banner on Sept 25th as this seems to be the only thing that brings thousands of bikes out onto the streets.

And that was most definitely *NOT* a pop at H4H.

John Hopkins 04-08-2011 06:51 PM

I haven't got any cousins across the channel.

John.

Nufkamp 04-08-2011 08:06 PM

I couldn't bring myself to say Frrrr. Frrrrre. Frrrrrrrrennnn........

#exit Kryten mode/

spock_gb 05-08-2011 08:53 PM

Nufkamp...... Your spot on mate :thumbu: So instead of upsetting the whole of the country`s road networks... and the people who are not to blame... why are we not hitting those that can actually make a difference... the MP`s

10 - 20 thousand Bikes in Whitehall would certainly get noticed :)

mick2 05-08-2011 09:00 PM

yep, and a convergence on holyrood up here would do it

SS2 06-08-2011 01:26 AM

Much as I think this ride oot on a motorway carry on might not be the best way to go about this, I'm buggered if i can think of a better idea, so count me in. You can try, or you can do fekk all, your choice i guess?

I thought mebbe if we neutered all the chinless wonders noo, we might have more of a chance doon the line, but the computer said no?:thumbd:

zeddman 06-08-2011 07:29 AM

Well I see the usual 'whats the point.............it dont /wont make no difference' posts up ...........at least have a go like me ,then at least you can say 'i made a bit of an effort'.......one of the things that get my back up is the biker that says 'whats MAG and others doin about it ' and the tight bstrds have never been a member ..like other posts have said thousands turn out in france ..and effall here ................personally I sometimes think we deserve wat will happen...........AT LEAST MAKE A FUCKIN EFFORT

dixie 06-08-2011 08:32 AM

As we form this collective to Demonstrate against these new proposals why dont we make a few proposals of our own and turn the fukin screw a bit tighter....how about NO ROAD TAX for all 2 wheeled vehicles...how about NO TOLL CHARGES for all 2 wheeled vehicles..how about USE OF BUS LANES for all two wheeled vehicles.....bout time we all grew some bollox and made some demands of our own...United we stand ..divided we fall...